Sign in to follow this  

Can't Even Ride on My Own Property...

So I was out riding with some friends of mine today and we went to some legal trails. I live in Mass FYI. We rode for about 3 hours there then we came home ate and went back unloaded the bikes out of the trailer and my 2 friends who haven't rode the small track i have in my backyard wanted to ride for like 20 minutes in my backyard. So we go out and no less than 1 lap my neighbor is standing at my fence and starts screaming and being a douche saying its illegal to ride and I'm gonna call the cops etc. We just kept riding for about another 10 minutes and then we went in. We didn't really care at this point about being good neighbors because both of my neighbors have called the cops many times and screamed and been &%$#@! to me, my parents, and friends. We go in and a cop comes to the door a few minutes later and says for the first time out of all 10+ times my neighbors have called that we cant ride within 150 feet of any dwelling. My property is only 150 feet wide. We live on about 1.8 acres. I just lost privilege to the track that was behind my house which was 8.5 acres so plenty of room to ride and have fun and you could barely hear us but now it seems i can't even ride in my own yard. So anytime i want to ride i'm going to have to trailer my bikes and technically i couldn't even take a short test ride in my backyard legally. Another thing was that every bike has to be registered even to ride on my own property?... The cop also said if they get another complaint they are going to have to call the epa and they will give over 500$ fines for each person riding in my own backyard for 30 minutes every 2 weeks. We all find it completely ridiculous. I'm assuming that there is no getting around this or being able to ride but i figured I would see if anyone had any ideas of anything i could do?  

I'd suggest looking up the laws yourself first. Unfortunately what I tell people all the time is you don't own the land you think you own and can do whatever you want with it.

• Like 3
  • Helpful 2

That sucks! However, I think you can fight that. There are loopholes to just about every state and local statute. Especially if you are riding on private property. 

Some advice from a seasoned law enforcement agent.....do not try to interrupt the law by yourself, and most definitely DO NOT listen to the "know it all" shit house lawyers. The ones who think they are subject matter experts simply because they watch CSI and Magnum PI. Seek the advice/counsel of a licensed lawyer who has passed the state bar. 

• Like 2

Call an attorney, get the actual facts.  Cops on the street know very little about the law, if you're lucky then know the things there supposed to enforce regularly (revenue generation).  The rest most are just guessing/assuming....  A cop mentioning EPA sounds very odd, not their jurisdiction.....

• Like 7

1 minute ago, braindead0 said:

Call an attorney, get the actual facts.  Cops on the street know very little about the law, if you're lucky then know the things there supposed to enforce regularly (revenue generation).  The rest most are just guessing/assuming....  A cop mentioning EPA sounds very odd, not their jurisdiction.....

EXACTLY! 

Epa is in all kind of stuff, noise pollution is one of them.  I don't get the 8.5 acre part, or the 30min every 2 weeks ?     Can you push your bike a couple hundred feet away from the dwellings, start up and get to the 8.5 acres and be legal ?

Edited by highmarker
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, braindead0 said:

+1.

I would look up or consult a lawyer to review the pertinent laws. The cop is very likely to not know the real law. Just attempting to scare you into making "less trouble" for him.

Edited by 1.21GW
  • Like 6

24 minutes ago, highmarker said:

Epa is in all kind of stuff, noise pollution is one of them.  I don't get the 8.5 acre part, or the 30min every 2 weeks ?     Can you push your bike a couple hundred feet away from the dwellings, start up and get to the 8.5 acres and be legal ?

The 8.5 acre is a track behind my house that i used to be able to use but i can't anymore. The 30 minutes every 2 weeks i ment that in my backyard i ride for like 30 minutes every 2 weeks. So i ride in my backyard for a very short amount of time 

1 hour ago, BradStone said:

So I was out riding with some friends of mine today and we went to some legal trails. I live in Mass FYI. We rode for about 3 hours there then we came home ate and went back unloaded the bikes out of the trailer and my 2 friends who haven't rode the small track i have in my backyard wanted to ride for like 20 minutes in my backyard. So we go out and no less than 1 lap my neighbor is standing at my fence and starts screaming and being a douche saying its illegal to ride and I'm gonna call the cops etc. We just kept riding for about another 10 minutes and then we went in. We didn't really care at this point about being good neighbors because both of my neighbors have called the cops many times and screamed and been &%$#@! to me, my parents, and friends. We go in and a cop comes to the door a few minutes later and says for the first time out of all 10+ times my neighbors have called that we cant ride within 150 feet of any dwelling. My property is only 150 feet wide. We live on about 1.8 acres. I just lost privilege to the track that was behind my house which was 8.5 acres so plenty of room to ride and have fun and you could barely hear us but now it seems i can't even ride in my own yard. So anytime i want to ride i'm going to have to trailer my bikes and technically i couldn't even take a short test ride in my backyard legally. Another thing was that every bike has to be registered even to ride on my own property?... The cop also said if they get another complaint they are going to have to call the epa and they will give over 500$ fines for each person riding in my own backyard for 30 minutes every 2 weeks. We all find it completely ridiculous. I'm assuming that there is no getting around this or being able to ride but i figured I would see if anyone had any ideas of anything i could do?  

What was the reasoning? Noice ordinance? I had the same issue, however, I live on 4.5 Ac in the country. But neighbors complained and cops showed up, asked what law I was breaking, dumb rookie cop could not find one. So told cop to show up anytime they complained, and watch kids ride and told neighbors to ef off and kept on ridding. 

• Like 4
  • Helpful 1

I would start my dirtbike every day about 8pm and adjust the carburetor by revving  the piss out of it for a solid 5 minutes every, single, day.  Multiple times a day at the start to get a better baseline for morning jetting vs midday jetting vs night jetting.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, bentvalves said:

I would start my dirtbike every day about 8pm and adjust the carburetor by revving  the piss out of it for a solid 5 minutes every, single, day.  Multiple times a day at the start to get a better baseline for morning jetting vs midday jetting vs night jetting.

Don't forget about when the barometric pressure changes. It's important to have everything dialed in for all types of weather conditions. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Dirtbug26 said:

What was the reasoning? Noice ordinance? I had the same issue, however, I live on 4.5 Ac in the country. But neighbors complained and cops showed up, asked what law I was breaking, dumb rookie cop could not find one. So told cop to show up anytime they complained, and watch kids ride and told neighbors to ef off and kept on ridding. 

I guess the reasoning was that we were too close to neighbors being less than 150 feet from any dwelling. The cops had told them that for a good 6 months to just f off and keep riding but i guess they were getting way to many calls and just had to look into it further. 

1 minute ago, BUNK657 said:

Don't forget about when the barometric pressure changes. It's important to have everything dialed in for all types of weather conditions. 

yes indeed.  every once in a while the bike needs jetted 6am Sunday morning too.  

what state are you in thread starter? 

Smells like BS. How it different than having a riding lawnmower within 150ft? What about a weed whacker, can I operate one of those?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kxlubber said:

Smells like BS. How it different than having a riding lawnmower within 150ft? What about a weed whacker, can I operate one of those?

Some places you can't ? electric only and they have one day in the week landscapers can work.

Edited by highmarker
  • Sad 1

Are you guys riding 2 strokes or 4 strokes. That could make a big difference in decibels. I think that cop is full of shit. Check you local laws about sound ordinances in your area. If there are any, it’s prob limited to noise after a certain time at night and in the morning. And it’s prob measured in so many decibels. I doubt your breaking any laws. Keep doing it and hopefully your neighbors get so pissed off they just move. Is it just 1 neighbor or more?

41 minutes ago, highmarker said:

Some places you can't ? electric only and they have a day in the week landscapers can work.

wheres that?  California maybe...

58 minutes ago, BradStone said:

I guess the reasoning was that we were too close to neighbors being less than 150 feet from any dwelling. The cops had told them that for a good 6 months to just f off and keep riding but i guess they were getting way to many calls and just had to look into it further. 

“Being less than 150 feet” sounds like BS. Can you mow your lawn less than 150 ft from dwellings?

• Like 1