Great price on a 2018 250EC?

What do ya'll think? Seems like a great price. Any common issues with these bikes? Interestingly, it has a supersprox rear sprocket, only 30 hrs on it, and no skid plate. Someone set it up strangely. Looks like OEM handguard flags are $54 on gasgaspartsguy.com, was wondering what aftermarket options are (don't like wrap arounds)?

Any and all info is welcome, thanks!Screenshot_20190824-172010.jpeg

That's a absolute steal at that price. The only real issues with these bikes is sometimes on the '18 models the electric start can be a bit weak and won't start the bike when cold, but if you search there are remedies for this. Aside from that, they are absolute solid bikes, I have a '18 XC300 with 135hrs, only issues I encountered are the stock clutch cover is made of paper, and I've recently had issues with replacement oem rads leaking, but aside from that, it's been a terrifically solid bike, and for that price, unbeatable.

• Like 2

That's a absolute steal at that price. The only real issues with these bikes is sometimes on the '18 models the electric start can be a bit weak and won't start the bike when cold, but if you search there are remedies for this. Aside from that, they are absolute solid bikes, I have a '18 XC300 with 135hrs, only issues I encountered are the stock clutch cover is made of paper, and I've recently had issues with replacement oem rads leaking, but aside from that, it's been a terrifically solid bike, and for that price, unbeatable.
The setup is odd. It has an aftermarket larger gas tank, a steering stabilizer mount, and an aftermarket sprocket but no skid plate. I'm gonna check the bike out on Tuesday. Hopefully they have the OEM gas tank as I'm not a fan of aftermarket ones. Or else it's presumably sitting in someone's garage collecting dust.

Clutch cover being thin is lame. Does carbon up make a replacement cover? What are the fixes for a weak e-start? Leaning towards buying the bike. Would much prefer a 300 for low end power. How is the grunt on the 250? What is the compression stock?

Thanks for the info!
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ew83 said:

The setup is odd. It has an aftermarket larger gas tank, a steering stabilizer mount, and an aftermarket sprocket but no skid plate. I'm gonna check the bike out on Tuesday. Hopefully they have the OEM gas tank as I'm not a fan of aftermarket ones. Or else it's presumably sitting in someone's garage collecting dust.

Clutch cover being thin is lame. Does carbon up make a replacement cover? What are the fixes for a weak e-start? Leaning towards buying the bike. Would much prefer a 300 for low end power. How is the grunt on the 250? What is the compression stock?

Thanks for the info!

If they don't have a oem tank, you can buy one for relatively cheap, https://motocentergasgas.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fgasgas-fuel-tank-stock-capacity-26-gal&page=3. Clutch cover is a easy fix as well, here's a guard for it, https://motocentergasgas.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fpolisport-clutch-cover-protector-2017-2020&page=2 or you can get a Rekluse cover which is the strongest option but is $150. The fixes for the estart are simply a bigger CCA battery and thicker gauge cables for the both positive and negative terminals as well as grounding it to the starter instead of the subframe. I've never ridden the 250 myself so I can't give a comparison.

• Like 1

Make sure the bike starts when hot/warm. No need for a fix just get ready to kick it on the very first start. Once warm it starts,just hesitates for the fraction of a second but then starts. No investments necessary. Get an AXP skid plate with extension for the linkage. Clutch cover costs 35 bucks and is, as you say, wafer thin but there are clutch cover protectors out there...see the links Jetster posted...

I had an ‘18 EC250 for six months last year & frankly, after the initial new bike buzz (& the sublime suspension), the experience was underwhelming. 

Issues -

1) Difficult to jet without excess spooge &/or a lean condition, even after a head mill & squish correction. Which, according to Dave Macarthy at TSP, could’ve been caused by a timing problem. Some early ‘18 bikes had Woodruff key/flywheel fault - possibly causing the flywheel to move on the crank, making unreliable timing.

2) Electric starting - mine never worked properly from day 1, even after new cables, wet mod, bigger battery, blah, blah. There is a now well-known casting issue that causes drag on the starter - an easy fix, but virtually unheard of in early ‘18. My mate’s ‘18 300 (they all ride them!) also has a starter issue. 

Above notwithstanding, when the bikes run well, they are absolute weapons. The most exciting (& also torquey) 250 I’ve ridden. The frame flex/steering/suspension is so well-balanced & confidence-inspiring it’s ridiculous.

Despite the above, if GG stay solvent, put the starter in 2019, not 2007 & keep KYB I would probably buy another (300 though..). 

• Like 1

I had an ‘18 EC250 for six months last year & frankly, after the initial new bike buzz (& the sublime suspension), the experience was underwhelming. 
Issues -
1) Difficult to jet without excess spooge &/or a lean condition, even after a head mill & squish correction. Which, according to Dave Macarthy at TSP, could’ve been caused by a timing problem. Some early ‘18 bikes had Woodruff key/flywheel fault - possibly causing the flywheel to move on the crank, making unreliable timing.
2) Electric starting - mine never worked properly from day 1, even after new cables, wet mod, bigger battery, blah, blah. There is a now well-known casting issue that causes drag on the starter - an easy fix, but virtually unheard of in early ‘18. My mate’s ‘18 300 (they all ride them!) also has a starter issue. 
Above notwithstanding, when the bikes run well, they are absolute weapons. The most exciting (& also torquey) 250 I’ve ridden. The frame flex/steering/suspension is so well-balanced & confidence-inspiring it’s ridiculous.
Despite the above, if GG stay solvent, put the starter in 2019, not 2007 & keep KYB I would probably buy another (300 though..). 

Seems like just the e-start and jetting were the only problems? I have a lectron on my KTM and like it, so I might go to that if the jetting is off and cannot be fixed.

Thanks for the above posted links. I dislike the clutch covers though and would rather run a carbon-up cover so I'm gonna call and see if they make one for this bike. Really appreciate the links though. By all means if you have links to other aftermarket parts you believe are worth it please post. I run an AXP skid plate on my KTM w/link guard and it is the best. I also ran bulletproof designs rad guards but the 17 KTM OEM plastic rad guards are suprisingly strong so ended up going back to that. If the gas gas louvers are junk I'll definitely get rad protection. I tip bikes over all day lol.

I'm a flag style handguard guy, not wrap around, and this bike is missing the flags so prob pick up a set of those as well.

I'll ride the bike stock for a few rides to set a baseline on how it performs. You said it was underwhelming, but at the end of your post you seem to have a overall good opinion of it? I get jetting issues can be tremendously annoying so maybe that combined with the e-start put a bad taste in your mouth? Totally understandable, but if all the rest of it is top notch then I will prob go forward with the purchase. Other option is to spend double on a 2020 KTM/husky 300. My biggest concern is lack of bottom end power because I like to ride there most of the time!

Yes, EW83, it was utterly infuriating. #spooge became a joke in our riding group. But I’m a stickler for e-start & solid jetting, so there you go!

However, the example you may buy could be totally fine. If it starts easily & rides well after warm up with no bogging or hesitation you’re probably ok.

The terrain we ride requires a functional, start-in-gear e-start to make rides enjoyable. You may ride more open terrain which is less stop-start.  

These are just my experiences with 1 unit out of 1000’s. Others will have had zero issues with their ‘18 EC250’s.

Caveat Emptor, as ever. 

• Like 1

I bet that bike is a former race support bike that has been returned to the dealer for re-sale.   No one except for GNCC guys use a big tank on a new Gasser.   No skid plate tells me that it had an EE plate or something like that on it and the racer kept it for his fresh bike.   

I bet that bike is a former race support bike that has been returned to the dealer for re-sale.   No one except for GNCC guys use a big tank on a new Gasser.   No skid plate tells me that it had an EE plate or something like that on it and the racer kept it for his fresh bike.   

Good Intel. Anything to be worried about on a bike that was used as race support? And yeah I figured it was canabalized but couldn't figure out why...that makes more sense
  • Like 1