Sign in to follow this  

Unexpected build thread

Well i traded my supercharger kit for this bike cause the car it was suppose to go on i sold it to buy an 2007 suzuki LTR450.

Didnt even know whats a xr600 until i googled it and findout its a legend lol

I got it with the kicker stuck opened it fixed a few things refresh the motor lightlt because it has new pistons and sleave in good condition. Put it all back together fired it up all nasty dirty like it is

Drove it around with rear brakes only loved it even more. Then i just woke up and took tge engine out again and dissasamble the whole thing (30-45mins max) lol so simple i love these things.. im an automotive mechanic so not used to simple things.

Here is some old and progress pics of it and im sorry honda fans but i wanted something a little different then white and red and blue 

Its gonna be frame spray painted rustoluem industrial satin black. Always used rustoluem stuff on my projects and have good result the key is in the prepping. But the plastics i removed and let an professional painter fix and paint them glosssy black swing arm will be polished a bit not much same for the fork. Stock colored wheels too. And going for an oldschool honda sticker sticker on the tank as a tribute to my fathers 1979 honda 250 enduro that he got in an accidident the year i was born 1988. Hes fine just had a bad back for a while back then.

It has rear drum brakes and magnesium side cover full dual headers exept rear shock reservoir so i think its an xr600 88" with a different rear shock

I hope u guys enjoy stories like this and any tips is welcome ! 

IMAG1845.jpg

IMAG1877.jpg

IMAG1883.jpg

IMAG1885.jpg

IMG-20190824-WA0012.jpg

IMG-20190824-WA0011.jpg

IMG-20190824-WA0017.jpg

• Like 3

looove stories like this....keep it coming , going to look great ?

did similar to an old Yamaha 500XT many years ago....good fun

Edited by kwekuPaul
  • Helpful 1

The 88s and older shocks weren't as good as the fixed reservoir shocks out of the newer xr6r's like 91+...its a tiny bit longer but I put in a 96 shock on my 88 and I'm glad I did. My remote reservoir shock sucked. A stock 96 fixed reservoir shock was worlds better. And the little longer thing isn't a problem. Have bike on a stand with wheels off the ground. And just spread the lower from the upper and the shock goes in no prob. Ebay a used one. What...40-50$?
Besides that...looking amazing.

• Helpful 1

13 hours ago, notoriousE-R-I-C said:

The 88s and older shocks weren't as good as the fixed reservoir shocks out of the newer xr6r's like 91+...its a tiny bit longer but I put in a 96 shock on my 88 and I'm glad I did. My remote reservoir shock sucked. A stock 96 fixed reservoir shock was worlds better. And the little longer thing isn't a problem. Have bike on a stand with wheels off the ground. And just spread the lower from the upper and the shock goes in no prob. Ebay a used one. What...40-50$?
Besides that...looking amazing.

Mine doesnt have reservoir or remote reservoir 

Cleared sanded polished plastics almost done.. 

And this is the shock i found on the bike they made it fit it was cut on top to fit in the bracket. Works fine tough

IMG-20190827-WA0043.jpg

IMG-20190827-WA0042.jpg

IMAG1887.jpg

If it ain't broke, don't fix it...right?
That's not stock. That doesn't mean its no good. Could be an upgrade.
You can improve any suspension. So it doesn't matter what's on it as long as it works for you.
But if you want to upgrade, get a mid 90s xr600r shock. With the fixed reservoir. Just the swap is a huge upgrade, makes you not want to do anything else to it.
All I did was recharged the nitro in the bladder.
But what you have could be better. Only you know.

Looks like an XL 600 shock. Euro version (RM/LM) had the blue spring, red spring was the R. Should have a 4 position clicker on the bottom, compression and preload adj only....

hey boys got some time to work on the honda today made it this far.  

Im very happy actually with it. Still needs some painting here and there but i had to put it all together to see  it on its wheels. Next weekend im hoping fot a test drive ?

IMG-20190831-WA0039.jpg

IMG-20190831-WA0034.jpg

Edited by Islandxr600
  • Like 2