Sign in to follow this  

When should I service the rear shock?

2017 300XC With 300 hours now. Did fork service 100 hrs ago. Haven't touched the shock. When should I get it serviced and by who? Not looking to do anything aftermarket. Do service places charge them with nitrogen?

200 hrs ago lol. Seriously, every 100 hrs is what I try to stick to. I’ve had seal failures in rear shocks at over 100hrs, surprised yours has stayed together that long, that’s impressive imo

40-60hrs...Factory Connection in Muskogee.  Yes they charge them.

I can feel them get "loose" around 40 or 50 hrs...

All depends on how you ride and what kind of riding you do.

If you’re tracking the bike or into hare scramble racing it would be far sooner than if you were to field ride the bike.

8 hours ago, Ew83 said:

2017 300XC With 300 hours now. Did fork service 100 hrs ago. Haven't touched the shock. When should I get it serviced and by who? Not looking to do anything aftermarket. Do service places charge them with nitrogen?

Any Local ktm shop, should be able to properly service the shock, shocks are sealed form air, so they hold up longer than fork oil, but the first oil change has all the breakin debri, so you are definitely due, if you want to save shock body and seal head life, if not already too late.

if they have the machine that removes the oil and replaces, should be cheaper than having a full tear down and inspection. Places like Kreft are going to require full tear down and inspection. If the shock is tore down, you'll want to install a new seal head, since it gets disturbed.

But if your shock has no obvious signs of failure, squeaking by with an oil and nitro change(without a break down), should be less than $100.

Well if Highly depends on the kind of trail your riding and how fast you go, with that being said 300 hours is far far too long.

Do you race hare scrambles or enduro???   If the answer is yes you will be very very lucky if you do not have to buy a new shock body at this point.

If you just put around on the smooth trail you may be OK but you’re still long overdue.

Not sure where you’re located but if I were to suggest a good shop  rebuild it it would be ProTune in oh.

Well if Highly depends on the kind of trail your riding and how fast you go, with that being said 300 hours is far far too long.
 Do you race hare scrambles or enduro???   If the answer is yes you will be very very lucky if you do not have to buy a new shock body at this point.
 If you just put around on the smooth trail you may be OK but you’re still long overdue.
 Not sure where you’re located but if I were to suggest a good shop  rebuild it it would be ProTune in oh.
So I live in the pnw and I called a local aftermarket place (TBT I think but it could have been another one) and asked when the bike had around 200hrs if it would need a service anytime soon. The response I got was it should last a while longer. Either way yeah at 300 hrs it's prob due. I'll do the forks too while the shock is out. What specifically goes out around this timeframe?

What specifically goes out? If you are referring to internal ware parts I would at least replace the piston bands.

Like I said don’t be shocked if the tuner let you know that the shock body is worn out.

What's the usual cost of this service? 100 hours on my 17' and guessing I should send the shock in this winter. 

It depends on the shop. I was quoted $650 for a fork and shock service (yes a service [emoji23]). I laughed at that one and sent them to a different tuner and it cost $260.

That price is totally insane, I’m basically retired but hell I did them for $50 add 10 for oil.

I think Cory at ProTune is by far the most reasonable check with him and see.

That price is totally insane, I’m basically retired but hell I did them for $50 add 10 for oil.
 I think Cory at ProTune is by far the most reasonable check with him and see.
So I called Factory Connection: $350 for parts and service, with $120 of that total being the labor. Seems like some huge variances in price. When konflict suspension use to be in these parts they did it for around $76. Gonna keep calling around. Shouldn't be that much in parts for seals and o-rings and a bit of oil with a nitrogen service.

3 hours ago, Ew83 said:

So I called Factory Connection: $350 for parts and service, with $120 of that total being the labor. Seems like some huge variances in price. When konflict suspension use to be in these parts they did it for around $76. Gonna keep calling around. Shouldn't be that much in parts for seals and o-rings and a bit of oil with a nitrogen service.

Agreed but companies like FC aren’t in it to be the cheapest. They have proven products and service that have allowed them to make the big stage. 

I’d suggest PR2!

Just now, E-TECH said:

Factory connection is just trying to &%$#@! you, hope you have some Vaseline.....

Personally I’d disagree with this comment.

FC isn’t in it to screw anyone, much like PA isn’t in it to screw anyone.

They aren’t forcing anyone to use their products and/or service.

They aren’t charging Joe more than Mike, they’re charging the same costs to all non-factory riding common public peeps.

Companies like FC and PA have survived when many others have failed. They ask a premium but provide products and service among the best in the business. 

These are companies that heavily sponsor young privateers enabling them a shot at the big stage with Factory rides, for this I applaud them. Having said that, you and I are paying for it when buying from them.

The only way they can afford to supply privateers with this monetary support is to charge others higher prices so that they are able to continue servicing the common public and their privateers who also count on them.

I do understand if you feel we shouldn’t pay for these privateers to make it big, but personally I don’t mind as long as my product and service stay great.

I bought my 250sx with a fresh FC full build. I was very fortunate that the setup was perfectly suited for my weight and style of ride and so far I love it!

My YZ450F is set to be taken in for a full PR2 build. Curious to see which I like better when done as that bike came with a full PA build that I’m not sure the last time it was serviced. 

31 minutes ago, E-TECH said:

It’s all good, if you want to send your money to factory connection you have that Right.?

As such you have the right to support your local guys just earning a modest buck.

Don’t get me wrong bud, I see both sides and I don’t necessarily disagree with you. 

The realistic side of it is, when I was young and far less financially stable I’d have certainly bought the cheapest service around and if it held up, I’d have sworn by that service provider. As we grow up you tend to not sweat a little more money to feel good about what and who you’re buying from especially if you know some of that coin is being used for keeping the sport loaded with up and coming talent both you and your children can enjoy watching when that factory ride calls them. 

Edited by Autosport7
  • Like 1

Suspension servicing is a racket. It takes very little special tools or know how to service a fork. Mostly just keep everything really clean and don’t mar any finishes. I think I spent $50 for the tools needed to strip my AER forks down. If you put a bladder kit in the rear shock you can service it yourself, just have to get the nitrogen recharged at a shop.

• Like 3