Sign in to follow this  

Why do people defend bikes like it's family ?

It really amuses me tons

The ktm which is my brand

I say to everyone the 19 appears to be less friendly than the 18 die to over stiff frame

The 150 is very hard to ride as the power is very on and off

The sxf 250 got slower from 16 to 19 as they choked the engine

The 16 sxf gearbox had a 3rd gear drilled and was weak and exploded

But you say a Kawasaki has a weak clutch ,which it clearly has and people lose there minds

Why do people care if it does not doesn't ?

The yzf 450 is a great bike for being solid but even most owners admit it has big ( size lol ) flaws and it simply is not a great turning bike ( they say that )

Why do people get so attached to a object made of parts like it's there pride packaged up in those parts ?

I really don't get it

Ktm messes up

Honda messes up

Yamaha messes up

Kawasaki messes up

Suzuki hardly tries lol

What's the big problem with accepting the faults the bikes clearly have ?

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Couple different views. 1- ktm sucks so anything they do sucks. Glad i dont have one. 2- kawasaki has always sucked and im really glad to have owned the 2 i did a long time ago because they taught me to never do it again. 3- all these bikes are great, but the one you laid hard earned cash down for is the best one and i sort of like seeing people being defensive over hard work and the choices they made with the money. Brand loyalty is taboo, lots of people buy the wrong bike and some are even trapped with it, some want the fastest bike even though they are the slowest rider. Its just about being human mog, as age creeps up, naivety slows down. And yes, the 2019 hydro clutch from kawasucky is on/off at halfway, they need to switch to the bellville spring because i think their slave overpowers the clutch springs.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, mog said:

It really amuses me tons

Squid was on the receiving end of YEARs of shit talking on KTM, back before they really became great bikes.  

I like my 300 XC, but it's sad how much I've done to it, just to get it to run with a bone stock, 13 year old YZ250.  😏 

Edited by redrider144
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, redrider144 said:

Squid was on the receiving end of YEARs of shit talking on KTM back before they really became great bikes.  

I like my 300 XC, but it's sad how much I've done to it, just to get it to run with a bone stock, 13 year old YZ250.  😏 

Wait...what? Isn't KTM's company's motto "Ready to Race"? 

Edited by indy rider
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had the 150 for 2 years ,it was a mistake , it's not making me less if a man to say I got the wrong bike ,I'm 47 and should have had more sense than to get a 150 for Mx

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, indy rider said:

Wait...what? Isn't KTM's company's motto "Ready to Race"? 

Essentially zero grease on the steering head and swingarm linkage.  I think it was just cosmoline really.  Not ready to race.  I was lucky.  A few more rides and tits up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mog said:

I had the 150 for 2 years ,it was a mistake , it's not making me less if a man to say I got the wrong bike ,I'm 47 and should have had more sense than to get a 150 for Mx

What was the problem? 

1 minute ago, indy rider said:

What was the problem? 

Too hard to hold onto WFO, especially with the STIC.

Edited by redrider144
  • Haha 1

Too hard to hold onto WFO, especially with the STIC.
The only problem was the rider , don't have the balls to commit to jumps etc ,I keep backing off and making a mess of the harder jumps , then I lose rythem and go slower and slower

I've gone sx 250 , I can clear jumps without the fear factor

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

Just now, mog said:

The only problem was the rider

Yeah that's what I meant.  Too hard for mortal to hold onto.  With the STIC, that thing was a factory pro level race bike.

• Like 3

There is some truth in that

The fastest gp 125 was the husky , it had 40hp , the ktm had 38 hp

My 150 has 40.5 and more torque than any of the works bikes ( don't forget the works bikes was a long time back )

I was never more than a local expert who raced 15 minute races lol

It was a bad idea looking back

• Like 3

there is no perfect/magic bike for mog or anyone else but he may be better off on a 2004 yz250 and upgrading the forks.....more work but a 2001 cr250 motor in a later chassis would be hard to beat....

I find it hard to believe that I agree with mog on anything, lol,  but I don't get all this brand loyalty either. I'm  color blind when it comes to bikes. When my son was racing we tested virtually everything before buying a new bike (every year) and made the choice based on preference and costs including necessary mods. 

Edited by Budlite

9 minutes ago, mog said:

There is some truth in that

The fastest gp 125 was the husky , it had 40hp , the ktm had 38 hp

My 150 has 40.5 and more torque than any of the works bikes ( don't forget the works bikes was a long time back )

I was never more than a local expert who raced 15 minute races lol

It was a bad idea looking back

No way to know until you try it.  

My '06 YZ250 felt so right bone stock, I didn't dare change anything.  I just added frame guards, radiator braces, and a glide plate underneath.  That's it.

The '17 300 XC is like any other bike I've owned other than the YZ250, trying all sorts of stuff to get it to run the way I want it to.  

3 minutes ago, Budlite said:

there is no perfect/magic bike for mog or anyone else

Wrong.  '06+ YZ250.  If you've never owned one, you don't understand.  2 different people tried it last weekend for the first time, both said the same, felt instantly comfortable.  New owner says it's perfect in every way, and has ridden my KTM, and did not like it.

Edited by redrider144
  • Like 1

I've rode tons of yz 250s , I like them ,but honestly I feel the ktm is a good amount better ( as it should be ) I could probably go as fast on a yz but it's simply not as good

Weight

Vibration ( this is a big difference)

Handling

Power

Clutch

Brakes

Accessibility

Components

All better in the sx

The suspension is just better on the yz ( which is embarrassing for a 2019 bike and the other is 2006)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, mog said:

Weight
Handling
Power
Clutch
Brakes
Accessibility
Components 

• Weight:  YZ is 215 lbs, at the AMA limit at the time.
  • Vibration:  KTM wins hands down
  • Handling:  YZ is good, KTM isn't significantly better
  • Power:  YZ has a much broader spread, kills the latest KTMs past peak
  • Clutch:  KTM, hydraulic, yes
  • Brakes:  I did put steel braided lines on the YZ recently, OK
  • Accessibility:  ?
  • Components:  I forgot, I did put a Heavy Duty non O-Ring chain on the YZ because stock Japanese chains are terrible
  • Suspension:  '06 YZ250 still better than 2019 KTM

You missed "instant comfort," something the KTM does not have.  You have myself and 2 others that have ridden my (old) YZ250 that all said the same, just felt at home immediately.  Instant confidence.

Edited by redrider144
  • Like 1

The ktm is lighter based on real scales according to mxa

The power , you have not actually rode one have you ? The new ktm is like a sxf 250 to ride ,it's very responsive , and easy to ride

Accessibility is based on can you actually get to anything , you know that yz frame is not nice ,the carb etc is horrible

Brakes ,your on crack ,a braided line is not even close to making it like a ktm , they are stone age brakes

You are trying too hard to say the yz is as good , it is not as good in so many ways , it was a great bike , but it vibrates like a cement mixer

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, mog said:

The ktm is lighter based on real scales according to mxa

The power , you have not actually rode one have you ? The new ktm is like a sxf 250 to ride ,it's very responsive , and easy to ride

Accessibility is based on can you actually get to anything , you know that yz frame is not nice ,the carb etc is horrible

Brakes ,your on crack ,a braided line is not even close to making it like a ktm , they are stone age brakes

You are trying too hard to say the yz is as good , it is not as good in so many ways , it was a great bike , but it vibrates like a cement mixer

I have a '17 300 XC with a shaved SX head!  Ok so I don't have the SX ignition.  Idk man, like I said, throwing parts bin at it just so it runs with a YZ250.  Perhaps it's an unfair comparison starting with an XC.

Access:  I can say this because I just tore the YZ down to bare frame and cases / rebuilt it, and I've just pulled the KTM carb again last night.  I disagree.  The YZ is easier to work on.  Carb on the KTM sucks worse actually, because it's much more difficult to pivot the subframe to pull the air boot away from the carb.  It's a chore to pull that stiff KTM boot past the shock spring.  And sucks even worse getting it pushed back past the shock when reassembling.

Fine, I'm wrong about brakes, KTM wins hands down.

Edited by redrider144
  • Like 1

This thread title has me cracking up ?

I think I know the Grand Wizard of whom you speak?

I've always been just a fan of riders. I guess I have a little bit of a soft spot for Honda, which is what I rode for most of my racing years. But I dont own a single Honda right now, out of 4 bikes.  I dont get the brand loyalty bs.  It's a freaking bike, not your beloved hound dog

• Like 1

2 hours ago, redrider144 said:

Squid was on the receiving end of YEARs of shit talking on KTM, back before they really became great bikes.  

Screenshot_20190823-163630_Chrome.jpg