Sign in to follow this  

Crazy dead spot at partial throttle?

My 2019 DRZ400 engine sometimes dies at very specific operating conditions. It's pretty easy to recover by just changing the state of the throttle and/or RPMs. But it's annoying at the least and sometimes downright troubling.

The power cut happens in the following conditions:

• partial throttle, usually between 1/4 and 1/2
  • moderate-to-high load (e.g., hill climb)
  • lowish RPM (2500-4000)
  • engine fully warmed up
  • bumpy terrain

Usually all five are true but certainly at least four.

I now believe that this issue may have been the cause of an earlier mishap that I documented on this thread.

Now here's the most confusing part (for me): this has happened with both the stock carb and my current FCR-MX!

I've tried to eliminate fuel tank and petcock by doing a flow test and running the bike on PRIME.

I've tried to eliminate pilot error by making some runs while keeping my throttle hand dead steady. I've also painted marks on my twistgrip so that I know throttle angle.

I don't know how it could be spark/ignition.

The bike runs fine otherwise. It has 1000 miles. No anomalies noted during first oil change.

Does anybody have any ideas? Thanks.

Is your heel touching the kickstand while you ride?Especially on bumpy terrain?I caught myself doing it and didn't even know it.After I bypassed the stupid switch the cutting out never happened again.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

btard addressed the most common cause, mine was a pot hole road.  Product design by lawyers/politicians usually results in less than stellar performance.

Sorta like having a live cartridge stuck in a bullet button rifle.   Unless you know how to safely separate the upper, it's a hot gun.

I have a bypass switch on that side stand...off road I bypass it, and when I put the ballet slippers on for street riding I restore it...and yes, on those bumpy downhills the engine stopped cutting out and restarting over and over as I descended.....

• Helpful 1