RideWithWill

fork and rear revalved on my te250i ... not too happy with it

Posted (edited)

Bike - TE250i 2019

Hate to create another suspension post but...

So I ended up going with a local dealership and they revalved my front and rear for a decent price. Other legit suspension shops were at a 3 - 6mo wait, so I did not feel like waiting. Got my forks back and I still get tons of feedback from rocks esp when going fast. 

So I think he revalved my forks as if I was a racer hitting obstacles hard so they dont bottom out and still feel planted I guess; I dont know, I dont know jack sh*t about suspensions. Im not really a racer, but more of an explorer, so i want comfort and that cloud feeling over rocks. I know some guy posted what I might have been looking for, but was over $2,000. I am guessing it was a specific dampening rod? sadly, I can not find that post anymore. 

yes I messed with my clickers as well, I set compression to the least amount to make it feel (softer) and messed with rebound, with least amount of rebound and max rebound. felt 20 clicks out from max has been the "comfort" setting for me. I also definitely notice the rear feels very stiff over obstacles. 

Anyhow, I might be redoing it during winter, but was hoping if someone can help me with some recommendations. Maybe that person can even comment back on that specific item that gives me that "cloud" feeling over rocky terrain. Not sure if it was some kind of cartridge rod, or push rod etc. I know most people would do fine with stock suspension but I am just looking for comfort and not really "race" performance. I can ride fine, it feels planted, I just want comfort is all on those long rocky days where I just want to sit down and let the suspension do its thing. 

Edited by RideWithWill

The reason you're not seeing the last post is because it was in the Rocky Mountain forum. Next, I'm not surprised you're unhappy with the suspension. Did you only get a revalve? If so, the bike is under sprung and you really needed to both. Also unsure what shops are 2-3mths out. Full Factory Off Road is excellent and usually less than a week out. Head back to your original post in rocky mountains and you'll get more feedback.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, catmanz440 said:

The reason you're not seeing the last post is because it was in the Rocky Mountain forum. Next, I'm not surprised you're unhappy with the suspension. Did you only get a revalve? If so, the bike is under sprung and you really needed to both. Also unsure what shops are 2-3mths out. Full Factory Off Road is excellent and usually less than a week out. Head back to your original post in rocky mountains and you'll get more feedback.

nah it was also springs. Yeah I kind of had a feeling it was going to turn out this way, straight from the dealership. lucky it was not too much but, I think I am going to try and find that post again and go with that cartridge looking thing he recommended. 

actually just found it

Bryan can install the  "Dal Saggio Sphere kit will do that" 

Edited by RideWithWill

2 minutes ago, E-TECH said:

You should have sent them to Cory at Protune!!!

should have gone with anyone else at this point ha. Definitely going to redo them in the winter. just researching now and grabbing some recommendations and tips

24 minutes ago, deertick said:

Protune just did my 18 TPI. Re-valve springs,lowered and shipping $805.

were you looking for more "plush" feeling? if so, did they hit it right on? going to call em also. looking at factory connecting and protune so far

Posted (edited)

Why would not have a long, courteous discussion detailing your issue with the shop that did the work? IMO that is the first step to success. Since you have no knowledge of susp it is probably a communication issue. It makes no sense to not give the shop a chance to correct the situation.  

Edited by Piney Woods
  • Like 3

Send to a known name that has lots of experience and testing. Your local joe smoe doesn't have enough experience.   

I weigh 220 without gear so it’s apples to oranges. Stock was way too soft but harsh   Out of control  on everything I ride lot  deep sand woops  .  I like it now it’s firm but plush. Springs F48/R72-75-78.All the little chatter on trails fire roads is gone.The harder I push it the better it gets.I got some parts back two valves and I believe it’s the Midvale in a bag.I see you’re in Colorado Got to be somebody closer RG3 I believe his name is on this forum.  I set mine out because I believe most local shops don’t know crap about suspension.

I'm no expert, but I don't think anything is going to feel cloud like over the rocks we have in CO.

Best approach I've found is to keep the front light as possible and off the ground whenever you need to avoid that big hit.

But anything smaller than 2-3" depending on how square edge it is, and how quick you're going and your front suspension should be able to handle it without much feedback through the bars.  Provided of course you've got the right tires/pressure.

It's pretty typical to get a few BIG hits every ride when you miss something in the shadows.

Steering damper, turned way up is a very, very good idea for fast rocky jeep trails.  It really helps with the stuff you miss.

The Xplor WP forks are not that great. In an effort to save money, they left out parts...literally. The two compression adjusters at the bottom of the fork... gone. Instead they made one of the usual two rebound adjustments on the top, into a make shift compression adjustment.

There is a long post in the suspension section about this.

The conclusion is...

Buy a kit to replace the missing parts

Or

Install a whole internal replacement kit (sphere, MX TECH LUCKY, Ohlins etc)

I went with the Lucky kit. Works great.

10 hours ago, Colorado^ said:

I'm no expert, but I don't think anything is going to feel cloud like over the rocks we have in CO.

Best approach I've found is to keep the front light as possible and off the ground whenever you need to avoid that big hit.

But anything smaller than 2-3" depending on how square edge it is, and how quick you're going and your front suspension should be able to handle it without much feedback through the bars.  Provided of course you've got the right tires/pressure.

It's pretty typical to get a few BIG hits every ride when you miss something in the shadows.

Steering damper, turned way up is a very, very good idea for fast rocky jeep trails.  It really helps with the stuff you miss.

yeah I am just wondering if I am just chasing a dream or something. yeah if I let me te250i scream over rocks, front def lightens up but since I am also an explorer and ride a lot of miles, I tend to just relax and sit around. I might need to borrow my friends bike again to compare. because i remember his bike being extremely plush with barely any feedback on rocks. But it could be he changed out a lot of internals. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Knightly said:

The Xplor WP forks are not that great. In an effort to save money, they left out parts...literally. The two compression adjusters at the bottom of the fork... gone. Instead they made one of the usual two rebound adjustments on the top, into a make shift compression adjustment.

There is a long post in the suspension section about this.

The conclusion is...

Buy a kit to replace the missing parts

Or

Install a whole internal replacement kit (sphere, MX TECH LUCKY, Ohlins etc)

I went with the Lucky kit. Works great.

yeah I just came across that...saw a guy also posting about him not being happy with his WP forks after a revalve as well and was going to add the sphere kit. 

again, I know I dont need top end suspension and I can just ride fine and any C or B rider can rip with stock suspension but its more of a comfort thing for me. 

So should I go with sphere or lucky kit when it comes to comfort?

yeah I just came across that...saw a guy also posting about him not being happy with his WP forks after a revalve as well and was going to add the sphere kit. 

again, I know I dont need top end suspension and I can just ride fine and any C or B rider can rip with stock suspension but its more of a comfort thing for me. 

So should I go with sphere or lucky kit when it comes to comfort?

Contact Brian at https://n2dirt.net/

He has lots of experience with both.

I went with the Lucky system, cheaper and better reviews.

31 minutes ago, Knightly said:

Contact Brian at https://n2dirt.net/

He has lots of experience with both.

I went with the Lucky system, cheaper and better reviews.

Thank you! 3rd person to go with lucky system. How would you rate them or describe them? comfortable and plush? no feedback on rocks etc.

On 8/25/2019 at 2:45 PM, Piney Woods said:

Why would not have a long, courteous discussion detailing your issue with the shop that did the work? IMO that is the first step to success. Since you have no knowledge of susp it is probably a communication issue. It makes no sense to not give the shop a chance to correct the situation.  

What he said.