Sign in to follow this  

california Riding My Red Sticker Bike at Hollister in the Summer, Here's What Happened...

Just wanted to share what happened because I don't think anyone else has posted something like this.

I've been riding my 08 RMZ250F at Hollister this summer. I got an extra green sticker from my pit bike and stuck it on. If you go to DMV or AAA and say you lost the reg sticker for a bike they will charge you $22 and give you a different sticker with different numbers and reassign this new sticker to the bike. So you can even take the 2 bikes at the some time. I went once a week maybe about 8 times total before I was caught. The rangers at the front don't notice. They always let me through. The rangers aren't anal about checking. One time a Highway Patrol guy or cop or whatever they are stopped me but he just told me I couldn't do wheelies on the paved streets. 2 weeks later one stopped me who was in an SUV when i was going really slow at the campsite. I guess he knows what red sticker bikes look like. They were going around to all the sites checking everyone's Reg it looked like. He checked my VIN and saw it was really a red sticker bike. I told him the sticker was on the bike already when I bought it from craigslist. He called someone and ran the sticker numbers and it came up as being for a jet ski registered to someone named Evan for some reason. No idea why since I bought the sticker from AAA and they assigned to my bike which is in my name. But since the Cop couldn't prove my story was wrong about it being on the my bike when I bought it he just gave me a fix it ticket. He also took the green sticker off my bike. After the cop left I still rode all day.

So I still don't know how much the ticket would cost for that if I had received the fine and not just a fix-it ticket. If someone has actually gotten fined for this and knows please let us know.

Edited by Leonardo111
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

they should let you ride that old MX bike with a historical hilarious exemption sticker

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TheW0LF said:

Those fix it tickets can get pricey..

You can expect to pay between $1,000 to $6,500. 

No the fix it ticket you just have to get the sticker and get an officer to sign off proving you fixed it. I got one for my car a few years ago when my reg sticker was stolen. I had to pay $20 i think. There is no fine. I meant how much would the fine be if I had actually gotten one.

tell em you brought the 2 stroke because you were afraid your green CARB compliant bike might start a fire

Clown...  I feel like I just had a conversation with some teenager that explained to me the best way to shop lift a Snickers bar by shoving it up my ass...  cause they never actually do a cavity search at 7-11.

Welcome to TT.  A fine addition.  Darwin at it's finest. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Leonardo111 said:

No the fix it ticket you just have to get the sticker and get an officer to sign off proving you fixed it. I got one for my car a few years ago when my reg sticker was stolen. I had to pay $20 i think. There is no fine. I meant how much would the fine be if I had actually gotten one.

Yep, $1k - $6.5k not including fees.

That ranger drove away laughing and doing mental wheelies

5 minutes ago, Jeff aka Bolt said:

Clown...  I feel like I just had a conversation with some teenager that explained to me the best way to shop lift a Snickers bar by shoving it up my ass...  cause they never actually do a cavity search at 7-11.

It is. Bend over and I'll show you with an Almond Joy. 😏

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Wouldn’t it have just been easier to go by the rules?  Everyone with half a brain knows you don’t take a red stickered bike to a monitored OHV park in the off season.  And putting a bogus green sticker on your bike is equally stupid.  It’s called false evidence of registration.  It can be charged as a felony if you did it to avoid paying fees.  At a minimum, the cop could have towed your bike.  You got lucky.

If you want to ride outside of red sticker season, there are plenty of ways.  And putting a bogus green sticker on your bike isn’t one of them.  Any ranger/LEO with a rudimentary knowledge of dirt bikes would take one look at your bike and suspect it’s not a green sticker bike.  Confirmation is only a radio call away.  Just ask around with riders in your area that aren’t total boneheads.  They should be able to help you out on where to ride that isn’t monitored.

I agree with Jeff.  You sound like some teenager, not a 31 year old adult.  Hopefully, you’ve learned something from all this.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Gflo said:

Hopefully, you’ve learned something from all this.

🤣

• Haha 1

Leonardo, do a search and read up on California Vehicle Code section 4463.  Then go buy a lottery ticket considering how lucky you got.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1