Sign in to follow this  

Damaged case mating surfaces

Hello everyone, I haven’t been on here for a while, but I just found a seized 1996 yz125 on the local classifieds for $300 and I bought it, I have already torn the whole bike down and split the cases, I noticed this on my mating surfaces, IMG_0023.JPGIMG_0023.JPGIMG_0023.JPGIMG_0023.JPG

Looks like someone using a screwdriver or chisel to split the cases, it sucks that I figured this out after already scrubbing the $&%# out of the cases and making them look fresh, I believe the reason for failure of the bottom end was a lean condition and I think this is what caused the lean condition, does anyone have some diy suggestions on how to fix this?

Take them to a welder have them put bead on it then file down to perfection.  I do it all the time cheap fix and better than jbweld crap. 

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

I was thinking about using jb weld, haha, i can see that welding is a much better option, so I better just go with that.

• Like 1

remove all the bearings and such and have a machine shop lap(?)(spelling) it on a surface table

7 hours ago, jsantapau said:

remove all the bearings and such and have a machine shop lap(?)(spelling) it on a surface table

That's just going to screw up all your end clearances, so don't do that.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bront said:

That's just going to screw up all your end clearances, so don't do that.

buy the looks of the picture he isn't going to need much and if you are paying a machinist to hand lap it you will probably stop spending the money before you fall out of tolerance

That should be an easy fix with JB weld if you take your time to draw file and then finish the mating surface with a wet stone.

Surface plate with a new sheet of 400 or 600 wet would help make a nice flat surface.

The welding will require a lot more aggressive filing which present more risk of overdoing it.

Using the grey Yamabond #4 should be better than the #5 thin black sealant.

• Like 3

That should be an easy fix with JB weld if you take your time to draw file and then finish the mating surface with a wet stone.

Surface plate with a new sheet of 400 or 600 wet would help make a nice flat surface.

The welding will require a lot more aggressive filing which present more risk of overdoing it.

Using the grey Yamabond #4 should be better than the #5 thin black sealant.

Last night I decided to use jb weld instead of having it welded, I am now sanding it flat with 440 grit, I think it will hold just fine because the damage isn’t that bad, I don’t think the damage is bad enough for it to be welded like other people were saying.

• Like 1

with a second look of the picture is it even at a critical area?   if it is the extreme outside of where the cases are double walled by a motor mount you aren't sealing anything important