My MT43 Trials/Hybrid Rear Tire self-destructed after 200 miles

I installed a pair of Pirelli MT43 trials tires on my DRZ400S a couple of weeks ago. The install (using NitroMousse) and initial impression were documented in this thread. The fit was solid and they rode well.

The MT43 is a great fit for moderate dual-sport riding. They are very nice on the street, certainly better than any knobby that I've ridden. And, if you keep lean angles reasonable, they are quite solid on NorCal trails (mainly rocks and hardpack). I was quite satisfied with the first 150 miles or so of 50/50 riding on the tires.

But around that 150-mile point, after pushing the tires a bit harder, I started to notice some chunking on the rear. I was hopeful that it was an isolated incident but by 200 miles it was in the shape that you see below. The MT43 front looks pristine.

I don't know what conclusions to draw. I don't know when/where the damage started. If I had to guess, I'd say cupping on the freeway (always below 70 MPH). But as I gained confidence with the tires I pushed harder on rougher trails too. I should also mention that I was running 12psi mousses fr and rear. Many folks suggest Tubliss at lower pressures on dirt and higher pressures on pavement.

The only thing that I can say for sure is that the MT43 is a poor fit for my use case. But I saw enough good traits in the tires that I would not be at all surprised if they were a great choice in other conditions.

As always, YMMV.

MT43 chunking.jpg

Edited by ktmenvy
added "at lower pressures on dirt and higher pressures on pavement"
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I’ve probably had 10 mt43 rears. They last 1500-2000 miles. Something went wrong with yours. 

I would contact the tire dealer and Pirelli and provide the mftcr numbers and dates. 

Edited by TigerTanker
  • Like 2
  • Helpful 1

12 psi is about 30% too much and 70+ on any trials tire on asphalt is asking for it dot approved or not. They are great on dirt @7-8 psi..

Joe

1 hour ago, TigerTanker said:

I’ve probably had 10 mt43 rears. They last 1500-2000 miles. Something went wrong with yours. 

I would contact the tire dealer and Pirelli and provide the mftcr numbers and dates. 

I get same mileage off road.

Joe

• Like 5

2 hours ago, RichBaker said:

12psi at 70mph probably had a lot to do with it...

Maybe. But never for longer than 20 min. Just to get to the dirt and back. (FYI)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wild Alaskan said:

there should be a 4 digit stamp on the sidewall of the tire that references it date of manufacture, what does it say? You may have acquired a really old tire

Dec 2018

I'm sorry to hear that. As I said in the other thread, my friend had a similar experience on a DRZ400E. Perhaps the DRZs are just too heavy and powerful for it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Randy_Butternubs said:

I'm sorry to hear that. As I said in the other thread, my friend had a similar experience on a DRZ400E. Perhaps the DRZs are just too heavy and powerful for it.

That could be. But the damage looks unusual 

i seem to recall Pirelli having a bad batch of these a few years ago

• Helpful 1

A mousse at high speed builds a ton of heat due to friction between itself and the tire. The mousse is also an insulator, so it dissipates heat very poorly, forcing the tire to run even hotter.

Mousse, high speed, trials tire, heavy bike. This was destined to happen.

• Like 8
  • Helpful 2

1 hour ago, Randy_Butternubs said:

I'm sorry to hear that. As I said in the other thread, my friend had a similar experience on a DRZ400E. Perhaps the DRZs are just too heavy for it.

fify

• Helpful 1

1 hour ago, adam728 said:

A mousse at high speed builds a ton of heat due to friction between itself and the tire. The mousse is also an insulator, so it dissipates heat very poorly, forcing the tire to run even hotter.

Not really.

I've been to Baja and California and with a D606 and a Nitro Mousse I got over 2000 miles. Much of that was at temps as high as 100 degrees and at 70 mph. I rode from San Felipe to San Diego one day on that tire at speeds of 70 mph at about 85 degrees in about 6-8 hrs and had zero problem, in fact the tire could have gone a good 1000 more miles and the mousse was not wiped out even after 2000 miles. 

That tire's wear pattern is consistent with a bad batch of tires. The same line is worn, there is no even distribution of the wear. 

@Jeff aka Bolt is a tire guru, wonder what his opinion might be on this incident. 

How much does the bike weigh? Perhaps that is a factor, but on my fe450 and me and my gear weighing perhaps 250lbs, I had no issues. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, adam728 said:

Maybe, but I believe that the MT43 is more of a hybrid tire (stiff sidewalls/DOT) than a pure trials tire.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, TigerTanker said:

How much does the bike weigh? Perhaps that is a factor, but on my fe450 and me and my gear weighing perhaps 250lbs, I had no issues. 

330#. I'm 240#. It's a DRZ400S.

1 hour ago, ktmenvy said:

330#. I'm 240#. It's a DRZ400S.

Even if weight was a factor, the tread wear should have been more even, especially considering your mid/low psi level comparable. Was the mousse new, and what brand?

I do know a guy that raced his 950se in a desert race with dual Nitro mousses and had catastrophic failure of the rear, he was the two time reigning champ of the race even. Blew out around 40 miles? But that is a 500 ish pound bike. So that load was a good 700 lbs and running at race speeds of 30-50 mph over hard rocky stuff. 

2 minutes ago, TigerTanker said:

...the tread wear should have been more even, especially considering your mid/low psi level comparable. Was the mousse new, and what brand?

Prior to the chunking, I thought that the tread was wearing pretty evenly.

The Nitromousse had about 500 miles on it. It looked pristine.

2 minutes ago, ktmenvy said:

Prior to the chunking, I thought that the tread was wearing pretty evenly.

The Nitromousse had about 500 miles on it. It looked pristine.

I'm guessing it's just a bad tire batch. You should be able to get/deserve a free replacement. 

IMHO, it is the best tire there is for all around moto use for my fe450. It can do a ton of pavement miles, moab, adventure, wet trails, cold, fantastic on forest/alpine trails, rocks even sandy trails. It's only shortcomings are; leaning turns, gravel, steep up or down in very loose/dry conditions.  My 450 is my extreme adventure bike, do everything and it's my go to tire. I always say that the MT stands for Magic Tire. 

• Helpful 1

12 minutes ago, TigerTanker said:

Where did you buy the tire? Any chance you bought an online tire that might be a knock off?

RMAMC. Pretty sure it's genuine. I emailed RM asking for some dispensation (even partial).

Part of the bummer is that I don't want to run the front if I'm not running the rear. <sigh> I bought both as a "system" (FWIW).