2020 klx 230r automatic idle control problem

Bought this new bike for wife as an upgrade from the 140g nice machine except for the high idle , book says 1800 which we could live with if the rpm's would come  down with throttle closing instead of a long delay.  Dealers hooked it up to computer  & called kawasaki tech support , they said it's normal? ???

Anyone have experience with these new fuel injected models ? Is there a fix for this issue ?

Thx 

On 8/26/2019 at 4:20 AM, Mark Emery said:

Bought this new bike for wife as an upgrade from the 140g nice machine except for the high idle , book says 1800 which we could live with if the rpm's would come  down with throttle closing instead of a long delay.  Dealers hooked it up to computer  & called kawasaki tech support , they said it's normal? ???

Anyone have experience with these new fuel injected models ? Is there a fix for this issue ?

Thx 

Sorry you didn't get any help here. Have you found any other help anywhere else?

We have not resolved the issue yet , my sponsor Speedin Motorsports says it sounds like a lean condition. 

Kawasaki dealer hasn't learned anything from the tech line but am taking it back to them Tuesday after the Holiday ,

Thx

Please keep us posted. That's the problem with EFI, when they get it right it's good but when they don't it's hard to fix.

Back to dealer this week ,but  haven't heard from them yet, The kid that helped me off load mentioned that kawasaki said this was normal & it was meant to help beginners take off easier but the  mechanic or service manager hasn't said anything to me...We just want the throttle to close without delay , this would help a beginner a lot more than the take off. Glad she kept the 140 

I think, I understand what you're talking about. And I get why the did it. When you cut throttle, there is no jerk, so a noob isn't going to lose balance while putting around in 1st gear. It's much harder to lock up and slide when downshifting in corner, too. It's kind of odd at first, feels like cruise control on a downhill. If they had enough circuitry and sensors, they could dial it in, so it only works when needed. As is, it's just a dumb rev hang that works regardless of gear, load, direction of gear shift, etc. I definitely want it gone.

Edited by sorbales

Picked up the 230 from our dealer yesterday & test rode another new 230 right out of the crate,  both run the same, high idle & when you close the throttle during a ride both slow down to a certain rpm then high idle kicks in...strange but might keep a new rider from stalling out ?? Hopefully Kawasaki will come out with a fix. Hoping kawasaki will come out with a kdx e start , 2 smoker in the 220 / 250 cc range...this 230 would be gone RFN !

• Like 1

Tell them it's dangerous.  That allowed us to tamper the epa back in the day during factory service..  Don't know how bad it is but many bikes set to stock idle spec seem too high to a lot of riders. Lot of beginner bikes can be herky jerky on and off throttle with low gearing and low idle speed. Another reason kawasaki might have it that way?  Why sleds and quads have paddle throttles, you cant whisky throttle into a superman.

Edited by highmarker