Sign in to follow this  

Metal Shavings in Gear Oil

Hi everyone! I recently purchased an 09 530 exc back from my brother. I knew he had ridden it pretty hard so I started replacing some of the worn out bits and changed the oil. The problem is when I pulled the magnetic drain bolt there was a fair amount of metal shavings stuck to the magnet. How much of cause for concern is this? Any idea what’s likely about to go? Thanks for any help!

IMG_6720.JPG

Drain magnet usually picks up clutch plate waste in small amounts of fine metal. That's a bunch if it's the clutch.

Yes, or noise I would reckon. If nothing else I would do an oil change run it 50 miles and check that drain plug again. 

1 hour ago, mndirtbiker said:

Hi everyone! I recently purchased an 09 530 exc back from my brother. I knew he had ridden it pretty hard so I started replacing some of the worn out bits and changed the oil. The problem is when I pulled the magnetic drain bolt there was a fair amount of metal shavings stuck to the magnet. How much of cause for concern is this? Any idea what’s likely about to go? Thanks for any help!

IMG_6720.JPG

Has he changed the oil since you sold it to him?

He claimed he did like a month ago but I don’t believe him. When I say he rode it hard I mean there was a point where he actually sheered all the rear sprocket bolts off. So I’m not too surprised there’s something getting worn

How many miles on it? You may not get a lot more with that maintenance program.

Ya that’s half the reason I bought it back, didn’t wanna see him keep beating it. Prior to that I kept it up pretty good and changed the oil every 10 hours- never had any issues

8 hours ago, mndirtbiker said:

IMG_6720.JPG

Don't worry, it's just an indication that the bloke who sold you the bike did not change it regularly. KTM's have a lot of chips and shavings in their oil. I had many KTM's they all had significantly more stuff on the magnet than all other bikes I had.

Change the oil every 15 to 20 hours, if you race it very hard even earlier. The oil magnet will look like the one you showed after your second oil change. No drama, have fun with it!

Cheers Doc

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like 1

Don't worry, it's just an indication that the bloke who sold you the bike did not change it regularly. KTM's have a lot of chips and shavings in their oil. I had many KTM's they all had significantly more stuff on the magnet than all other bikes I had.
Change the oil every 15 to 20 hours, if you race it very hard even earlier. The oil magnet will look like the one you showed after your second oil change. No drama, have fun with it!
Cheers Doc

Oh great! I was thinking I’d flush it a few times with some cheap oil just to clear what’s built up in there and see how she goes from there.

9 hours ago, mndirtbiker said:

Oh great! I was thinking I’d flush it a few times with some cheap oil just to clear what’s built up in there and see how she goes from there.

Its probably not a bad idea to flush it a few times and also clean filters every time, then install new ones with fresh good quality oil and ride it but keep oil change schedule in mind.

I am pretty sure all is good, as said KTM's tend to have a lot of metal sludge on the magnet. Its like a fine metal sand, coming mostly from the clutch.

If you do not race and change your oil regularly like doc said ...the second picture of your oil drain plug is pretty normal.

Plus... your plan for a couple of quick changes to flush things out is a good idea IMHO.

Well if its normal my ktm 350 is not never had anything close to those shavings on the drain plug now over 500 hours!

Well if its normal my ktm 350 is not never had anything close to those shavings on the drain plug now over 500 hours!

Just to clarify...like I said in my previous post.....its the second picture of the drain plug I am referring to...not the picture in the original post!

If your drain plug has "never had anything close to those shavings" (the ones shown in the second picture, post #9 in the thread)...then you truly have an exceptional bike.

Edited by travertt
  • Like 1