Sign in to follow this  

tire still leaks after plug repair?

Both front and rear are tubliss, installed a few years ago. Ran to low of pressure and pinch flatted. Used a repair kit and bulk Slime rubber cement to fix, but it still leaks. I am also seeing a leak from the tubliss valve stem. How do i proceed? The tire still has TONS of life left, and I know I can run 0 psi with tubliss, but that is in no way ideal. 

Also, front wheel looks like it took a little hit, Can I true this, or should I have a shop do it?

EDIT: I fixed the issue using a 2nd plug. I also went through and did a "reinstall" of the front tubliss by pulling both valve cores, re-inflating HP bladder to 110 psi, using a syringe to add more soapy water through the valve into tire, install 2nd valve core, then inflating to 40psi and sloshing things around. I checked tread, plug repairs, beads, and valve bodies for leaks with soapy water then came back later and checked with a pressure gauge.  

Edited by mzvarner

24 minutes ago, mzvarner said:

Both front and rear are tubliss, installed a few years ago. Ran to low of pressure and pinch flatted. Used a repair kit and bulk Slime rubber cement to fix, but it still leaks. I am also seeing a leak from the tubliss valve stem. How do i proceed? The tire still has TONS of life left, and I know I can run 0 psi with tubliss, but that is in no way ideal. 

Also, front wheel looks like it took a little hit, Can I true this, or should I have a shop do it?

A few questions for you.

How low of pressure was in the high-pressure tube? If it gets low even down to 60-70 psi you can pull the valve stem out of the tube, ask me how I know!! That would explain why air around the high-pressure valve stem. A pinch flat usually happens in the sidewall is that where you're flat happened? 

Did you use plugs or pull the tire and patch it? If plugged I have had to use several plugs to seal larger holes. My record was 8 plugs in one hole what a mess I was able to get home but truthfully the tire was shot and required a large patch inside to reuse.

Without a picture of the rim, we can't answer anything about it. But my wheels have several flat spots and with Tubliss they still seal.

1 minute ago, raymo2.0 said:

A few questions for you.

How low of pressure was in the high-pressure tube? If it gets low even down to 60-70 psi you can pull the valve stem out of the tube, ask me how I know!! That would explain why air around the high-pressure valve stem. A pinch flat usually happens in the sidewall is that where you're flat happened? 

Did you use plugs or pull the tire and patch it? If plugged I have had to use several plugs to seal larger holes. My record was 8 plugs in one hole what a mess I was able to get home but truthfully the tire was shot and required a large patch inside to reuse.

Without a picture of the rim, we can't answer anything about it. But my wheels have several flat spots and with Tubliss they still seal.

1. At the time of the ride it was 90-100 (or at least when i left the house).

2. The puncture is in the main part of the tread, not the sidewall.

3. I just used 1 plug, didn't  consider needing more. That is going to be a real PITA.

4. The rim isn't too bad, and still holds air (i assume. no leaks from the bead.). I come from a heavy mtn bike bacground so straight rims were more important being smaller tires etc?

Sometimes on the air coming out of the valve stem, it is just some air trapped under the red liner; the key is if the tire holds air. If there is some air coming out don't worry as long as the tire and HP tube hold air. I actually carry several different size plugs every time I'm someplace that has different ones I get them and carry them. I have a Dyna plug tool for the smallest ones and I have all way up to semi-truck plugs that are double diameter and way longer in length. I have doubled them up in the install tool to make them bigger.

3. I just used 1 plug, didn't consider needing more. That is going to be a real PITA.

Did you use the plug reamer to rough up the hole? That is how I gauge how many plugs to use. With the install tool I use, there is room to put two plugs in it. If you need several plugs I hold the installed plugs in with a pair of hemostats to make sure they don't want to come out with the install tool with other plugs while I'm installing them. I have found that the hemostats help to get the plugs into the install tool as well.

Do you use any sealant in your tires? I have used both Stans and Slim. Tubliss recommends Slim as the Stans is prone to balling up at higher speeds. IMHO Stans seals better and Slim is easier to find the puncture.   

Just FYI I have had plugs in tires for hundreds of miles so don't worry about the durability.

Edited by raymo2.0
more information

1 hour ago, mzvarner said:

i assume. no leaks from the bead.

Don't assume this.  Bead leaks are a serious problem with Tubliss.  A bit of soapy water will identify where the leak is located.

48 minutes ago, CDNSXV said:

A bit of soapy water will identify where the leak is located.

Agreed soapy h2o is your friend when working with tires and air. Out of curiosity why do you say  "Bead leaks are a serious problem with Tubliss"? Have you had personal problems with this? I have used the Tubliss system since they came out with the 18" insert. I've really not experienced "serious problems" with them. 

2 hours ago, raymo2.0 said:

3. I just used 1 plug, didn't consider needing more. That is going to be a real PITA.

Did you use the plug reamer to rough up the hole? That is how I gauge how many plugs to use. With the install tool I use, there is room to put two plugs in it. If you need several plugs I hold the installed plugs in with a pair of hemostats to make sure they don't want to come out with the install tool with other plugs while I'm installing them. I have found that the hemostats help to get the plugs into the install tool as well.

Do you use any sealant in your tires? I have used both Stans and Slim. Tubliss recommends Slim as the Stans is prone to balling up at higher speeds. IMHO Stans seals better and Slim is easier to find the puncture.   

Just FYI I have had plugs in tires for hundreds of miles so don't worry about the durability.

new to this so didnt know they make different size plugs, good to know. Yes i used the reamer and it was very easy to insert (should have been a clue). No tire sealant but i will be looking into it now. Do you just pull the valve core, add a certain volume, then when a puncture happens it "self repairs"

1 hour ago, CDNSXV said:

Don't assume this.  Bead leaks are a serious problem with Tubliss.  A bit of soapy water will identify where the leak is located.

noted, thanks for the tip. I was just listening for leaks

11 minutes ago, mzvarner said:

No tire sealant but i will be looking into it now. Do you just pull the valve core, add a certain volume, then when a puncture happens it "self repairs"

I use Slim for my high-speed trips to the desert, Moab, Grand Junction that kind of riding, I use the gallon size and it has a pump on the bottle, makes it easy. I use Stans in the high-country where the speeds aren't as high, that I use a syringe-like this. https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/tusk-fork-oil-level-tool-replacement-syringe-p

I use one of these for back bleeding brakes as well as hydro clutch.

if you are using a regular size of Slim you can use a syringe for it as well. It both cases I pull the valve stem and pump, inject it into the tire. I use about 8oz of either in both tires.