Sign in to follow this  

How protective are foam/gel knee pads? Leatt 3df, EVS TP 199

hello guys, here's the thing: i currently have a pair of mobius x8 knee braces which i have been using for the last 3 years, protection wise i don;t think i can get anything better but my issue is how bulky they are, they rip off all my pants almost in the knee area and also they aren't the most comfortable.

that being said, now i am thinking of getting a pair of EVS TP 199 or even a Leatt 3df but my concern is if they would protect well enough if i have a crash at high speed.

i'm sure there are a lot of people that have been using them and i wanna hear your thoughts.

thanks

Leatt-Knee-and-Shin-Guard-3DF-Hybrid-Internal-Black-White-2017-5015400461.jpg

tp_knee_shin_pair_2000x.jpg

I've been wearing the EVS TP199 knee guards for almost two years now. They are my first pair of knee protection. My thought was not about money but about seeing guys tear their ACL's and go through other knee injuries with legit knee braces. I don't have any knee issues so I went with guards as they're a hell of a lot more comfortable and also offer good impact protection. I would definitely recommend these. I've crashed in them and landed directly on rocks with no issue. 

Make sure you read the sizing chart. If you order the wrong size you'll know when you rip the webbing in them.

• Like 1

thanks guys, very helpful

also you can wash them in the washing machine right?

i think i'm gonna go with the evs, they seem better designed

D4FD52CD-0004-4162-9822-4CD062A43BF6.thumb.jpeg.077a53c9a081ceb7ab389d41e918f38f.jpeg

Picked them up for something more comfortable and less bulky for riding Trials. 

Like them so much I’ve been wearing them for everything now. 

I tried some soft armor knee guards. I just couldn't get comfortable with the idea of slamming my knee into a pointy rock while wearing them. So I went to the Leatt Dual Axis which I've been happily wearing since 2013.

I have used the smaller EVS Gel because of comfort .... I  just rode with a friend that bought fox hard plastic for $80.   They slept all over the place and he has to return them.   If something is so uncomfortable and you don't wear it you're better off  wearing something with a little bit less protection that works. 

True that the Mobius braces are a little more bulky, but it comes down to what kind of protection you're looking for. Would those wrecks that had the guys tearing their ACL or MCL, been worse without a true brace? Hard to say for sure, but for my money, I'd say without a doubt. If what you're riding, is going to give you mostly tip overs, then the gel pads will work great for you. Big difference between pads and braces, not only in use, but price.

18 hours ago, theDUB said:

I tried some soft armor knee guards. I just couldn't get comfortable with the idea of slamming my knee into a pointy rock while wearing them. So I went to the Leatt Dual Axis which I've been happily wearing since 2013.

Agreed. Just don't feel safe with the soft stuff.

I'm using Race Face down hill mountain bike knee pads with the D3o tech.

Soft until you hit them then they go hard and you can do you're own research on D30 tech.

Light, breathable, don't move, fit very nicely inside the boot and the D3o tech works amazingly well.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

On 8/27/2019 at 5:42 AM, kcposty said:

I have the leatt 3df 5.0 knee pads, rock and tree tested from every angle. Great protection and fit up with my Forma boots nicely41KXNfXrniL._AC_SY400_.jpeg

I have these too, they work well enough on dirt. When I f*cked up in jan I had bruising through all My gear (helmet included) that stopped right where the top of these are. Had numerous other crashes with them, and no injuries despite having a dodgy knee already. Can't say I've crashed in rocks or anything though.

I actually brought some different hard armor knee guards originally, but couldn't fit them into My boots (large calves) so got these, which stop right at the top of My boots.

I have no hesitation recommending them.

edit: mine go straight into the washing machine all the time.

Edited by DEATH_INC.

after a lot of thinking i decided i'm not gonna go with the foam knee pads after all so i just ordered a pair of leatt dual axis 🙂

Those are some nice knee pads. I’m still using my fox ones from when I used to dh mtb in 2007. Time to upgrade I think

On 8/26/2019 at 8:03 AM, Darco said:

hello guys, here's the thing: i currently have a pair of mobius x8 knee braces which i have been using for the last 3 years, protection wise i don;t think i can get anything better but my issue is how bulky they are, they rip off all my pants almost in the knee area and also they aren't the most comfortable.

that being said, now i am thinking of getting a pair of EVS TP 199 or even a Leatt 3df but my concern is if they would protect well enough if i have a crash at high speed.

i'm sure there are a lot of people that have been using them and i wanna hear your thoughts.

thanks

Leatt-Knee-and-Shin-Guard-3DF-Hybrid-Internal-Black-White-2017-5015400461.jpg

tp_knee_shin_pair_2000x.jpg

It's funny, people tease me for wearing my knee guards on the outside of my pants.... You just explained one reason why I do. The other is that if a person rides more than a couple days in a row, the skin on the knee cap gets rubbed raw from friction and turns into a rash. 

I use the Dual Axis by Leatt and absolutely love them. I did see that Fox just copied them and made a competing product almost of the same quality for about $75 instead of $90. 

I did try a gel type knee pad a couple years ago, not as stout as what you are looking at. I hit a stump with it and the protection wasn't enough so I went back to hard shell. 

If the gel doesn't pan out, try what I have done by wearing the knee guard on the outside... the haters are going to hate but so what...

aaa.JPEG

I wear leg 'sleeves' that you can buy for wearing with knee braces. I don't get any chaffing then. Still a problem with those? I don't ride that much.

Never considered wearing outside the pants. Might have to try that. Then I don't need the sleeves. Looks like it works with the guard going into the boot so that is good.