2018-19 YZ450F Dual mode map switch?

I am wondering if anyone has tried to install the dual mode map switch from a '19 YZ450FX onto a 2018 or 2019 YZ450F.  Are the ECUs the same, and it is just a matter of having the right switch wired in?  Would love to add this feature as I ride mostly on trails, and never use the Launch control, would rather have the dual map functionality.  It looks like the 2020 models have both buttons, so maybe there is a mod that can be done with some 2020 parts as well.  Anyone with some insight into this, would be appreciated.

On 8/26/2019 at 5:20 PM, ebiagi said:

I am wondering if anyone has tried to install the dual mode map switch from a '19 YZ450FX onto a 2018 or 2019 YZ450F.  Are the ECUs the same, and it is just a matter of having the right switch wired in?  Would love to add this feature as I ride mostly on trails, and never use the Launch control, would rather have the dual map functionality.  It looks like the 2020 models have both buttons, so maybe there is a mod that can be done with some 2020 parts as well.  Anyone with some insight into this, would be appreciated.

I am interested in this as well, have you tried to connect if possible the 2019 map switch?

Thanks

I emailed and asked Kris Keefer. He asked Yamaha and it cannot be done. It’s a different wire harness. Maybe if you updated the wire harness it would work? 

Edited by Dutchie21

@Dutchie21 It really depends if the ECU can do that.

I would give it a shot, it it would be only about changing the harness and getting that button.

11 minutes ago, syky27 said:

@Dutchie21 It really depends if the ECU can do that.

I would give it a shot, it it would be only about changing the harness and getting that button.

It’s not worth the $400-$500ish to me to try it. As far as I know the ECU can hold two maps. It shows me map 1 and map 2 when I load maps from the app. If anyone does pull the trigger on this I’d be interested to hear if it works though. 

Edited by Dutchie21

24 minutes ago, Dutchie21 said:

It’s not worth the $400-$500ish to me to try it. As far as I know the ECU can hold two maps. It shows me map 1 and map 2 when I load maps from the app. If anyone does pull the trigger on this I’d be interested to hear if it works though. 

The stock airbox is the biggest piece of shit, you never know if the filter is seated correctly. I have ordered the Twin air powerflow yesterday myself.

I think that when the app shows Map1 and Map2 does not mean that the ECU can do that, it depends on the implementation of the app. And I don't think they differentiate between ECU in the app for yz450f.

I will do quick calculation, how much money the harness and the map switch cost if it will be something reasonable I might try it.

Hi, so just out of curiosity I have checked the Yamaha part numbers for 2018 2019 and 2020 YZ450F bikes.

The 2018 and 2019 models have same harness BR9-82590-00

The 2020 model has B2W-82590-00 harness.

Too bad that the 2019's ECU is: BR9-8591A-10  and 2020's ECU is B2W-8591A-10

You can see pattern here B2W -> 2020, BR9 -> 2018/9

This sucks :D

The Map switch is: B7B-83976-10

2020's ECU: 246 usd, Harness: 165, Map switch: 65usd...

I doubt it will even work, because the ecu is different, and there were some internal engine changes...

I think it is no go... Well, I might try to get the harness and the map switch and see what happens...

Edited by syky27