Sign in to follow this  

Washington Backcountry Discovery Route

Just got back from doing the Washington Backcountry Discovery Route with some buddies. Listed as 650 miles we ended with 850 with a few single track detours. I highly recommend it. We had a great time. Racing by all those guys on the giant adventure bikes convinced me that I never want one. We did it on 450's and 500's and it was wonderful.

Find out more here...

https://ridebdr.com/wabdr/

picture-39.jpg

picture-24.jpg

picture-159.jpg

• Like 9

Rad! I’ve done parts of this trip, but never the whole thing in one shot. It’s an awesome time!

7 hours ago, Troy_Turner said:

Racing by all those guys on the giant adventure bikes convinced me that I never want one. We did it on 450's and 500's and it was wonderful.

Nice. After getting the idea from some other guys, I'm planning to go for a solo, sub-24 hour WABDR run on my YZ450FX next summer.

• Like 3

A guy I ride with did this on his ktm 530.  According to him, the ride was pretty easy on his bike but the big adv bmws/ktms made it a challenge for his group to finish.   

• Like 1

Awesome! I just did the first three sections (Carson to cashmere) the weekend before last with a bunch of extra stuff on the side. Just shy of 500 miles. Epic trip. Super easy ride, but very enjoyable. Plan on doing a different state next summer.

IMG_1633.JPG

• Like 2

I have done the Desert 100 for years and that's about as much racing I can take. We took time to eat, swim, eat, search the gold mines, eat, explore the side trails, eat...

I don't know anyone who has done it in 24 hours. Not sure if it can be done without a big crash 🙂

Good luck.

TENT! We stayed at local hotels. I'm not going to bring an extra 30lbs on a dirt bike and ruin all the fun! All we brought was extra clothes and shoes for exploring, swimming and going out to eat. And of course enough tools and parts to fix anything in an emergency. And yes if you stick to the route it is pretty easy ride but we detoured a lot of extra miles per day. So much so that I ran our of gas 3 times... luckily I had a gas bladder and my buddy has a desert tank to steal gas from. I think that if we tried to race it we wouldn't have enjoyed it nearly as much. We are thinking Utah next year.

• Like 3

Try the OBDR around the Olympics sometime also. Only mention because I checked one of the route fuel stops today for a crew to see if the pumps were still open.  3 or 4 days if you stop and take pic's. Do it on the hottest days of summer, cooler up there and less dew on gear in morning.

21 hours ago, Wonderspoon said:

A guy I ride with did this on his ktm 530.  According to him, the ride was pretty easy on his bike but the big adv bmws/ktms made it a challenge for his group to finish.   

I've been wanting to build out an FZ07 dirt road blaster....tear up some western miles

9d9296f6879fa6331c1e45c73623bc9d.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, highmarker said:

Try the OBDR around the Olympics sometime also. Only mention because I checked one of the route fuel stops today for a crew to see if the pumps were still open.  3 or 4 days if you stop and take pic's. Do it on the hottest days of summer, cooler up there and less dew on gear in morning.

+ 1 for the Olympic route ,that general store at lake quinalt has some good grub

On 8/27/2019 at 6:59 AM, Troy_Turner said:

I don't know anyone who has done it in 24 hours. Not sure if it can be done without a big crash 🙂

Several have attempted it. a dozen or maybe even two dozen folks. I know of less than a handful who have done it near the 24 HR mark and only one who has done it UNDER. Most who DNF is because of a mechanical issue such as brakes or a flat or a chain breaking

Several have attempted it. a dozen or maybe even two dozen folks. I know of less than a handful who have done it near the 24 HR mark and only one who has done it UNDER. Most who DNF is because of a mechanical issue such as brakes or a flat or a chain breaking

Trying for 24 hours doesn’t even sound fun. Railing gravel roads as fast as you can all day sounds boring, tiring, dangerous, and you miss all the good stuff about the BDR (views, swimming holes, cave visitations). Not to mention all the good nearby trail sections that you would have to skip.
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, woods-rider said:

Trying for 24 hours doesn’t even sound fun. Railing gravel roads as fast as you can all day sounds boring, tiring, dangerous, and you miss all the good stuff about the BDR (views, swimming holes, cave visitations). Not to mention all the good nearby trail sections that you would have to skip.

I agree 110%

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 6:13 PM, woods-rider said:

To each his own...we all enjoy riding in different ways and for different reasons.

Edited by Wiz636
  • Like 2

On 8/30/2019 at 6:13 PM, woods-rider said:

yeah, but what do ya do the next year?

3 minutes ago, Slackkinhard said:

yeah, but what do ya do the next year?

CO BDR

OR BDR

CA BDR

etc.

Edited by woods-rider