Sign in to follow this  

Stick with 4 stroke or move to 2 stroke?

I ride an 09 yz250f, it’s been a great bike and plenty of power for my trails. I’m 6’2, 185 pounds and would consider myself a novice/intermediate rider. I ride rocky/rooted trails that vary from open straights to tight single track. 

The reason I’m considering a 2 stroke though is for 2 reasons. 

The first is repairs, I do all my own engine work and enjoy it but on a 250f that is beginning to show it’s age it’s getting a little bit exhausting and expensive. 

The second is riding style. On my trails I usually have quick bursts of revs and staying in the powerband, pulling in the clutch at speed to coast without engine breaking and feathering/slipping the clutch through turns and tight sections. I’ve been told by friends to try a 2 stroke as it might suit my riding style better.

So I’m thinking of picking up a 250 2 stroke, but was just wondering if based on my riding style and riding conditions it would be a good fit/ I would enjoy it. I don’t mind sticking with my current bike but everyday the thought of a nice yz 250 becomes more alluring. 

Thanks 

Test ride a 2-stroke before you spend the money.  I REALLY wanted to like the strokers and I test rode 8 or 9 different ones and just could not come to grips with the uneven power delivery.  Many of the strokers vibrate like an industrial marital aid.  I find that to be extremely uncomfortable and distracting.  

4-strokes have a nice linear power delivery and you basically get the amount of power you ask for when you ask for it.  2strokes, not so much.  Basically they never give me the amount of power I ask for at the moment I ask for it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DCRacer572 said:

I ride an 09 yz250f, it’s been a great bike and plenty of power for my trails. I’m 6’2, 185 pounds and would consider myself a novice/intermediate rider. I ride rocky/rooted trails that vary from open straights to tight single track. 

The first is repairs, I do all my own engine work and enjoy it but on a 250f that is beginning to show it’s age it’s getting a little bit exhausting and expensive. 

The second is riding style. On my trails I usually have quick bursts of revs and staying in the powerband, pulling in the clutch at speed to coast without engine breaking and feathering/slipping the clutch through turns and tight sections. I’ve been told by friends to try a 2 stroke as it might suit my riding style better.

So I’m thinking of picking up a 250 2 stroke, but was just wondering if based on my riding style and riding conditions it would be a good fit/ I would enjoy it. I don’t mind sticking with my current bike but everyday the thought of a nice yz 250 becomes more alluring. 

Thanks 

Find a KTM 300 17+ preferably. It will be the easiest transition. Loads of power, smooth, no vibration, nice and light, go forever between rebuilds, etc. You can ride it lazy or aggressive. 

Test ride one first.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CDNSXV said:

Test ride a 2-stroke before you spend the money.  I REALLY wanted to like the strokers and I test rode 8 or 9 different ones and just could not come to grips with the uneven power delivery.  Many of the strokers vibrate like an industrial marital aid.  I find that to be extremely uncomfortable and distracting.  

4-strokes have a nice linear power delivery and you basically get the amount of power you ask for when you ask for it.  2strokes, not so much.  Basically they never give me the amount of power I ask for at the moment I ask for it.

Metering rod carbs help two stroke feel more linear as does power valve adjustment and selecting different tension power valve springs. The beta ktm hsq and Sherco brands offer this tunability. Gasgas May offer this but you’d hafta check. 

8 hours ago, DCRacer572 said:

Thanks 

Get a 2 stroke and don't be a baby. You'll love it in no time and wonder what took so long to change. 

And take the picture of me from your avatar. Not cool.

• Like 1

I’ll say it this way, I upgraded from an 07 CRF250F (my first full size bike) to a 2018 250XC I bought brand new last year because I blew the Honda up and the repair was miserable and EXTREMELY expensive, half the value of the bike. I am a mechanic who doesn’t shy away from engine work and I don’t usually mind working on my bike too much but I HATED doing those repairs. IMO shimming valves is the worst job on Earth. Among other tedious tasks involved that I just hate doing on those things. If you are even considering moving to 2t because of expense or repairs you’ll probably be much happier if you do. Cheaper up front, much cheaper, easier, and less frequent to maintain, and just more fun IMO. I love my 2 stroke... Especially KTM. That being said, I’m about to also buy a new 250SXF but the only reason I’m getting a 4 stroke MX bike (I’m a woods racer) is because I’m getting pretty serious with MX as well and want a tool better for the job, especially since I plan on taking this to the pro level. Other than that I probably won’t ever stray from my 250 2t unless I have no choice. Amazing bike. And yes, I’ve had a 450 pro get on my bike and he was amazed by how smooth and yet how powerful the bike was. Also, I run with the red spring - just an extra bit of info.

1 hour ago, Mudd94 said:

What's the question here?

Will this internets thing last or is it just a fad? ?‍♂️

What's the question here?

He is asking if he should move to a 2 stroke or stick with his 4 stroke

Keep your 4t and get a 2t. I'm the same size as you, not that it matters, but having both is the perfect solution. My 4t, a '07 450R woods modded, is my winter bike. My '17 Beta 300 is the summer bike, both have somewhat similar low-end torque so can be lugged in 3rd all day. The 450 is a beast, so when it's hot as hell like it is now, the light weight of the 2t is a great benefit.

It's hard to say.  You've got a couple things going on.  First off, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised if you move from a motocross bike to an enduro bike if you are only riding in the woods.  So going to a dedicated 2-stroke enduro bike you're really changing two big variables.  That's 2-stroke vs 4-stroke and motocross bike vs enduro bike.

I was riding a 4-stroke KTM 350 XCF-W and bought a 2020 KTM 300 XC-W this year.  Man they are both awesome in their own ways. 

On the wider faster stuff they are probably equal but different.   The 2-stroke feels super light and nimble.  The explosive 2-stroke power is just so fun.   The 4-stroke is super planted and confidence inspiring.  The 4-stroke gets the power to the ground and the huge RPM range keeps you in the meat of the power all the time.  The 2-stroke makes everything feel like you are riding super fast.  The 4-stroke feels slower but is fast.  The 2-stroke is fun.  The 4-stroke makes things easy.   I hill climb a little better on my 4-stroke because of the power delivery.   It's a tough call here but if I were just riding for fun, I think it'd be the 2-stroke.  If I was racing on these style of trails (GNCC wide stuff), I think I might be a little faster and consistent on the 4-stroke. 

On the super tight stuff, the 2-stroke shines.   It just feels so much lighter because of how it carries it's weight.  It's so luggable and stall proof.  Once the average speeds drop below 10 MPH the 4-stroke starts to feel top heavy.  Weaving between trees that are tighter than handlebar width becomes a chore.  It requires a ton of clutch work.  The heavy engine braking and abrupt 4-stroke fuel injected throttle tip-in wears me out when you're constantly on and off the throttle in first gear stuff.  If you are riding tight stuff, the 2-stroke is a no brainer.

When it comes to non-riding consideration, maintenance on the two-stroke is so easy.  The 4-stroke has awesome fuel range.  Although my new 2-stroke is TPI and does seem to get pretty good mileage for a 2-stroke.  I'm guessing I'll get 80ish miles out of my 300 XC-W tank but I can get over 100 out of my 350 tank.

I haven't been able to part with either one.  I can't imagine not owning one of each.

Which 2-stokes are you considering?   If you ride a lot of tight, rocky, rooty stuff, I'd consider a 300 over a 250.  If you ride faster, flowier stuff the 250's the ticket.  

Doc

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Doc_d said:

It's hard to say.  You've got a couple things going on.  First off, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised if you move from a motocross bike to an enduro bike if you are only riding in the woods.  So going to a dedicated 2-stroke enduro bike you're really changing two big variables.  That's 2-stroke vs 4-stroke and motocross bike vs enduro bike.

I was riding a 4-stroke KTM 350 XCF-W and bought a 2020 KTM 300 XC-W this year.  Man they are both awesome in their own ways. 

On the wider faster stuff they are probably equal but different.   The 2-stroke feels super light and nimble.  The explosive 2-stroke power is just so fun.   The 4-stroke is super planted and confidence inspiring.  The 4-stroke gets the power to the ground and the huge RPM range keeps you in the meat of the power all the time.  The 2-stroke makes everything feel like you are riding super fast.  The 4-stroke feels slower but is fast.  The 2-stroke is fun.  The 4-stroke makes things easy.   I hill climb a little better on my 4-stroke because of the power delivery.   It's a tough call here but if I were just riding for fun, I think it'd be the 2-stroke.  If I was racing on these style of trails (GNCC wide stuff), I think I might be a little faster and consistent on the 4-stroke. 

On the super tight stuff, the 2-stroke shines.   It just feels so much lighter because of how it carries it's weight.  It's so luggable and stall proof.  Once the average speeds drop below 10 MPH the 4-stroke starts to feel top heavy.  Weaving between trees that are tighter than handlebar width becomes a chore.  It requires a ton of clutch work.  The heavy engine braking and abrupt 4-stroke fuel injected throttle tip-in wears me out when you're constantly on and off the throttle in first gear stuff.  If you are riding tight stuff, the 2-stroke is a no brainer.

When it comes to non-riding consideration, maintenance on the two-stroke is so easy.  The 4-stroke has awesome fuel range.  Although my new 2-stroke is TPI and does seem to get pretty good mileage for a 2-stroke.  I'm guessing I'll get 80ish miles out of my 300 XC-W tank but I can get over 100 out of my 350 tank.

I haven't been able to part with either one.  I can't imagine not owning one of each.

Which 2-stokes are you considering?   If you ride a lot of tight, rocky, rooty stuff, I'd consider a 300 over a 250.  If you ride faster, flowier stuff the 250's the ticket.  

Doc

? i need a 2 stroke in my life for these reasons. the mx bike does ok in the woods but its just that.

Thanks for the responses everyone. Lots of good info here

I’ll be keeping my 250f regardless as I put a lot of effort into getting that bike set up for my trails, there’s nothing really to gain from selling it since its worth more to me than I could sell it for.

As for the 2 stroke, the newer 300 off road bikes from Ktm and husky are definitely the most recommended however the cheapest around me I’ve seen them go is over 6k which is well off from my budget.

I’d be looking to get something in the $3500 or less range. I wouldn’t mind an older Japanese mx bike, at that price point it leaves me room for mods to make it more viable in the woods.

12 minutes ago, DCRacer572 said:

Thanks for the responses everyone. Lots of good info here

I’ll be keeping my 250f regardless as I put a lot of effort into getting that bike set up for my trails, there’s nothing really to gain from selling it since its worth more to me than I could sell it for.

As for the 2 stroke, the newer 300 off road bikes from Ktm and husky are definitely the most recommended however the cheapest around me I’ve seen them go is over 6k which is well off from my budget.

I’d be looking to get something in the $3500 or less range. I wouldn’t mind an older Japanese mx bike, at that price point it leaves me room for mods to make it more viable in the woods.

I can't recommend a real trail bike enough. I went 450 4t to 300 2t. It's a transition for sure and it's frustrating to feel your ability initially get reduced. There are huge pros though. One of my favourites is the maintenance. You can go easy 20 hours between oil changes. No valves, etc. 

Also, pulling in the clutch and coasting is not a 'technique' and I can't see any reason why you would do that btw. 

I can't recommend a real trail bike enough. I went 450 4t to 300 2t. It's a transition for sure and it's frustrating to feel your ability initially get reduced. There are huge pros though. One of my favourites is the maintenance. You can go easy 20 hours between oil changes. No valves, etc. 

Also, pulling in the clutch and coasting is not a 'technique' and I can't see any reason why you would do that btw. 

Never said it was a technique, just the way I happen to ride. I’m not an aggressive rider nor do I race. I ride for fun and for me that’s just getting a flow going I couldn’t care less if I’m riding up to professional standards. I just never really enjoyed the feel of engine breaking which is why my friends recommended a 2 stroke.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DCRacer572 said:

Never said it was a technique, just the way I happen to ride. I’m not an aggressive rider nor do I race. I ride for fun and for me that’s just getting a flow going I couldn’t care less if I’m riding up to professional standards. I just never really enjoyed the feel of engine breaking which is why my friends recommended a 2 stroke.

That's really interesting. Never heard that one before. I think in that case you will really enjoy the lack of engine breaking in a two stroke. 

That's really interesting. Never heard that one before. I think in that case you will really enjoy the lack of engine breaking in a two stroke. 

yah, my trail is kinda sloped and has an absurd amount of wet exposed roots. It’s very easy to loop out going over them which is terrifying at 30mph+

Coasting over them at speed just always worked out better for me

20 minutes ago, DCRacer572 said:

I agree... I've never gel'd with the 4-stroke engine braking.  If I'm on the brakes, I'm on the clutch.  If I don't clutch under braking and accidentally lock up the rear, it kills the motor.  If it's loose or slippery it won't restart when you unlock the rear.  I guess if you just commit to only using the front brake and not touching the rear brake and instead relying on the engine braking it might work.  But that's not how I learned to ride.  Every time I brake I use both the front and rear and modulate them for conditions.

Doc

Brotherhood of the Big Blue Cloud.

Vibration with a two stroke?  that was figured out way back in the 70's.

INTER AM BARS.JPG

Every bike I have has solid bars on it.

Running the 1 1/8th bars Fill with plastic 1/4'' spheres then fill with epoxy.

"I’ve had a 450 pro get on my bike and he was amazed by how smooth and yet how powerful the bike was."

Ha Ha just imagine if he rode a 500cc two Stroke.

Edited by Truman Sparks