Sign in to follow this  

Medevac insurance

I have looked into this over the years but never got much info from it. There seems to be a lot of company’s out there providing this service. It hit me pretty hard last night after I heard my brothers friend rolled his Jeep in the mountains and was air lifted. I spend most of my time riding remote locations in the mountains and sometimes that is the only option if you get seriously hurt. Hope to never have to use it but I can’t imagine the bill he will receive for it. 

Who are you using for insurance Incase this ever happens to you and what’s the annual cost?

I have such a plan, it's Airmedcare network, uses several air ambulance helo companies depending on your location. My plan operates in 38 states, Washington is not one of them.

$65 a year - cheap. Keep in mind that a typical air ambulance requires the patient being brought to them, they are not rescue helos that can longline or hoist an injured rider from the ground (in a basket litter) up to the helo.

Edited by dyrtmon
  • Like 1

Former flight paramedic here.... If you choose to purchase this insurance read absolutely EVERYTHING in your policy. Not all are created equal and having it does NOT always mean you will get air medical transport. Some EMS agencies have contracts with specific air medical services. I would recommend a policy that covers transport by a corporation called "Air Methods". One of the largest helicopter holding companies in the US. Majority of the air medical programs they support are hospital based which in my opinion provide far superior care. I flew for an Air Methods program and a little bias...lol...

• Like 4

Insurance is insurance no matter what it’s for. Always collecting but never want to pay or looking for a loop hole to get out.

Thats the the reason I asked, so many different company’s. I will look into that air methods. 

• Like 2

I was care-flighted with a lacerated kidney from a dirt bike wreck at my home a couple years ago, my dad works for the state of Ohio and my mom is a trauma nurse, both have pretty good insurance and fortunately most of it was covered but I know there were still some good size bills. I think the chopper alone was $14,000... and it was only a 14 minute flight to the hospital. If you think about it, that’s $1,000/minute [emoji51][emoji51]

In Canada and specifically BC I'm pretty sure that they don't charge for it.

Its usually in the winter when people ski/snow board out of bounds and it can take a couple of days for Search and Rescue (SAR) to find and get them out but occasionally someone is hurt out of bounds and required a heli vac'd. Personally if someone choose to ski/snowboard out of bounds, they should be prepared to get out them selves otherwise there should be a steep cost.

Then its snow mobiles that either break down etc and have to be heli'd out and there is a cost for this but not sure.

Otherwise a dude recently compound fracture his tib/fib riding solo in a fairly easy local area that's not that busy and no cell service. From what I heard he dragged himself almost a mile through the bush to an area where someone eventually found him then SAR had to get him to a spot to heli vac him out. Not sure what if any cost there was but I'm now interested and going to check with some local SAR dudes.

Perfect example of riding solo and maybe choosing to ride more carefully and/or where having an In Reach etc would have been priceless.

In Colorado search and rescue costs are covered by part of your hunting license or dirt bike stickers. Not sure if it covers flight for life, but it probably does if it’s through search and rescue.

Our search and rescue in Washington state is free to my knowledge. Helicopter ride is not. My brothers buddy was airlifted for 30+ miles. Can’t imagine that cost, but I will ask him once he gets it. took an ambulance ride once and it was almost 2k to go 10 miles. 

37 minutes ago, slotracer577 said:

In Colorado search and rescue costs are covered by part of your hunting license or dirt bike stickers. Not sure if it covers flight for life, but it probably does if it’s through search and rescue.

Just a slight correction on this in Colorado I used to think this as well; but have been informed that the .25 we pay on our Ohv, hunting, fishing, hiking, licenses, stickers. This is used to help Search and Rescue originations recover their costs of rescues. Most S&R do not charge for their services BUT THEY COULD if they figured you earned it. NO, it does not cover any evac by helicopter, a buddy several years ago had to be flown from the local hospital to Denver 100 miles that bill was over $30,000 just about bankrupted him, he was on a dirtbike and no OHV fund would not pay for that ride. 

Some friends locally gave me some information on a Helicopter flight service in our area, not real expensive $300 for 5 years, BUT it is only from a hospital or fire dept helipads they don't fly into the bush to get you AND there is no guarantee that they will be available or if they will be called. They are also very specific about what would be covered and it has to be certified by DR that the flight is for life saving reasons. Some hospitals have contracts with certain services and won't call anyone else. They also only had good coverage in this area, very little in Utah where I ride quite often.

When I bought my Spot there was the option of getting a rescue "insurance policy" If I remember right it covers like $90,000 of rescue costs, any place in the world. But I believe you have to get it when you first sign up to get the inside GREAT deal. It was pretty pricy if purchased separately from the Spot service, or from them directly.

I had a helicopter ride just about exactly a year ago. Broken neck, nose, wrist, face lacerations, assorted other things. I was bleeding pretty seriously. I was on the side of a mountain out in the boonies. I was told the ride would have cost $40,000, but my Medicare covered it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pat22043 said:

I had a helicopter ride just about exactly a year ago. Broken neck, nose, wrist, face lacerations, assorted other things. I was bleeding pretty seriously. I was on the side of a mountain out in the boonies. I was told the ride would have cost $40,000, but my Medicare covered it.

Wow, I'm impressed, what Medicare policy do you have just out of curiosity. I haven't been impressed with my coverage I want your policy.  ?

1 minute ago, raymo2.0 said:

Wow, I'm impressed, what Medicare policy do you have just out of curiosity. I haven't been impressed with my coverage I want your policy.  ?

Actually, I have no proof that it was actually covered. I just know that so far, I haven't been billed. Its only been 360 days, and you know how slow medical billing can get.

I just have the usual standard ones and a N-option.  I do know that I was charged $1500 for the trauma center, doctors drugs and stay in the hospital's trauma ward. Plus the plastic surgery to sew my nose back on.

I could get a big bill in tomorrow's mail.

1 minute ago, pat22043 said:

I could get a big bill in tomorrow's mail.

I hope you don't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry to hear about your accident Pat hope you are mended at this point. I know about the late billing I'm dealing with a Dermatologists bills and they are months out I have spent almost what you were charged for just some cutting on my nose. Anyway, hope things are OK with you now!  

Just now, raymo2.0 said:

Sorry to hear about your accident Pat hope you are mended at this point. 

I did 110 miles on my 300 yesterday (easy trails) and am back riding my usual trails. I'm recovered, but still rusty and have the usual things that take longer than we like to get to 99.99%

• Helpful 1

1 hour ago, filterx said:

In Canada and specifically BC I'm pretty sure that they don't charge for it.

Its usually in the winter when people ski/snow board out of bounds and it can take a couple of days for Search and Rescue (SAR) to find and get them out but occasionally someone is hurt out of bounds and required a heli vac'd. Personally if someone choose to ski/snowboard out of bounds, they should be prepared to get out them selves otherwise there should be a steep cost.

Then its snow mobiles that either break down etc and have to be heli'd out and there is a cost for this but not sure.

Otherwise a dude recently compound fracture his tib/fib riding solo in a fairly easy local area that's not that busy and no cell service. From what I heard he dragged himself almost a mile through the bush to an area where someone eventually found him then SAR had to get him to a spot to heli vac him out. Not sure what if any cost there was but I'm now interested and going to check with some local SAR dudes.

Perfect example of riding solo and maybe choosing to ride more carefully and/or where having an In Reach etc would have been priceless.

Traveling with a moto journalist from the UK.  He crashed hard near Prince Repurt BC.  They basically wrapped him up and flew him to Vancouver, put him on a plane to London.  Canada didn't want him in their hospitals, cheaper to get him home.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, pat22043 said:

I did 110 miles on my 300 yesterday (easy trails) and am back riding my usual trails. I'm recovered, but still rusty and have the usual things that take longer than we like to get to 99.99%

?

• Helpful 1

3 minutes ago, highmarker said:

Traveling with a moto journalist from the UK.  He crashed hard near Prince Repurt BC.  They basically wrapped him up and flew him to Vancouver, put him on a plane to London.  Canada didn't want him in their hospitals, cheaper to get him home.

Like us having an accident in the USA :(

• Like 1

One company will cover a friend, kinda if someone else doesn't have it. Maybe he will see this and post the name of the company?

June we had and injured rider get long flight out of the desert. 65yo w medicare and supplimental.  They covered the flight.

$1500 helecopter to get a sled out of a crevis off top of mt baker, LOL    Bigger fine if you leave it.

• Like 1

I have Global Rescue. Covers me when I’m 100 miles or more from home. $300 per year or so

I tend to go on big trips 2-3 times each year.