Sign in to follow this  

Poof no front brakes

So last week i was riding the 2008 yz250f and everything worked perfectly. I went to roll it out today to give her a little run and when I went to stop it there is no front braking at all. There's fluid in it; I bled them and doesn't appear to be air in the line. Anybody know what might be going on here? It's only been sitting a week and goes from full braking to none? ??‍♂️

Check your pads.
Are they too thin?
Did they get oil on them?

Try spraying them with brake cleaner and spinning the wheel while spraying the pads and disc. Then see if that helped or not.

If it helped then ride it around for a while to scrub the pads clean. Some guys will lightly sand the brake disc to roughen it up a bit and increase the stopping power.

If it helped but not fixed it, you probably want to replace the pads. But ride it around for a while before deciding that.

If it did not help, then you probably need to drain the system and pull the brake assembly apart and clean it out.

Then replace the seals while putting it back together.

Please keep in mind that they suggest replacing the brake fluid every 5 years because the brake fluid will absorb water and become squishy.

Try this trick, used it on mushy KTM brakes.  Pull the lever all the way to the grip and tie it there for a couple of days.  Then untie it and see if the brakes come back.  Probably won’t help, but worth a try before you start tearing everything apart.

Yea there's no fluid leaks at all and absolutely no pressure being put to the caliper when I sqeeze the lever. So master cylinder maybe? 

Badly worn wheel bearings can cause this.  The wheel wobbles, which causes the disk to wobble and push the pads back into the caliper.  The end result is you have to constantly pump the brakes up and the first pull equals no brakes.

The other way this can occur is from a bent disk.  Same basic effect.

• Like 1