Do you wear a pack & chest protector in the woods? Thumpertalk review

I hate having multiple sets of shoulder straps but always like to have a backpack and a chest protector on for the stuff I ride. I was talking to Zac speed about this and they suggested this combo and then we decided to do their review on this system as it has moved to my go-to daily ride setup. 

Im not a big guy so normally packs hang and sag off me, and then just flop around the whole ride. I load my packs up so they're like 30+ pounds after water, food, cameras, etc. 

When I first saw this I thought it was going to be no different- loose & uncomfortable. 

I was pretty wrong. They have 4 adjustable buckles that both make it very comfortable and distribute the load evenly. 

Longest I've used it for was 4 days in a row of all day riding. 

What am I not thinking of yet? Anyone else tried this combo? 

27 minutes ago, Freemotion said:

I hate having multiple sets of shoulder straps but always like to have a backpack and a chest protector on for the stuff I ride. I was talking to Zac speed about this and they suggested this combo and then we decided to do their review on this system as it has moved to my go-to daily ride setup. 

Im not a big guy so normally packs hang and sag off me, and then just flop around the whole ride. I load my packs up so they're like 30+ pounds after water, food, cameras, etc. 

When I first saw this I thought it was going to be no different- loose & uncomfortable. 

I was pretty wrong. They have 4 adjustable buckles that both make it very comfortable and distribute the load evenly. 

Longest I've used it for was 4 days in a row of all day riding. 

Backpack and chest protector for sure  . Haven’t tried this particular pack though 

• Like 1

I have the leatt combo and love it used to run chest protector and backpack and hated it. Got the leatt a year ago and love it. I like it over that one cause it takes undoing 2 Velcro straps and the front chest protector comes off and now it’s a backpack. Also another thing I didn’t see or hear them talk about is The insulation is the badder area. The leatt is insulated and will keep water ice cold all day. 

You guys must be fussier than I am.  Chest protector from Atlas and a hydration pack works just fine for me, even with my Atlas neck brace.

If it’s just a hydration I never had an issue being separate. But once you throw 10-15 pounds in the bag that’s when it became an issue for me. Also it was time for a new chest protector and hydration backpack so why not combine them for a better fit

Been using a Zacspeed chest protector/backpack/hydration combo for about 5 years now.  Absolutely love it. 

???

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Freemotion said:

What you are missing is the "cool factor."  No, not the Fonzy, "ehhhhhhhhh........" cool but the temperature kind of cool.  The Zackspeed combination offers the coolest option with the best protection.  There are armoured suits out there with better protection but they are way hotter to wear and lots of the time they rub the nipples raw which means you need an undershirt, which just keeps in more heat.  

I spent 5 seasons wearing the Fox hard armoured compression suit, an undershirt and jersey and I suffered a few times as a result from the heat.  With the Zacspeed, I wear a set of elbow sleeves and a jersey.  The Zacspeed pack and chest plate protects my bod while allowing maximum air flow underneath it.  This combination has totally changed riding for me because I am no longer overheating and sweating to death.  I also no longer have horribly stinky body armour to deal with.

The other thing you missed with the Zacspeed is that they offer three different pack sizes.  You got the mid sized pack.  I went with the smallest pack because I also tend to jam too much into packs and I wanted to reduce the weight I was packing on rides.  

Other than the price, I am a HUGE fan of the Zacspeed.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SloChicken said:

Sounds like some thirsty riding

You got that right! lol

i mainly ride track, but on days that i ride trails ( Michigan ORV) ill usually bribe a riding partner(s) to carry my water..hehe

yea, Im THAT guy. 

• Like 1

So I looked at what they offer on their website.  I can tell that chest protector won't work with my Atlas neck brace.  There are those of us that really don't want a broken neck and wear a brace, and we are usually left out in the cold by many aftermarket products, except the companies that make the braces of course.

Nice stuff, but pricey.

15 hours ago, woods-rider said:

Zac Speed chest protector backpack combo. Good protection, comfortable, doesn't move around. A bit warm in the summer compared to no chest protector, but worth it IMO.

If you think the Zac Speed is warm, you have clearly never worn a compression suit.  The Zac Speed is way cooler than those things.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1