Sign in to follow this  

Stock mirrors stink

Ride first time this past weekend with the stock mirrors. Unbearable as they would work themselves loose on the heavy off-road.

What are you guys using?

Stock mirrors working fine for me.  I replaced the butter soft phillips bolts with hex head cap screws so I could tighten up the 'folding' joint properly.  Once I did that, they've been working great and rarely have to re-adjust.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gflo said:

I’ve used these for decades without a failure.  I cut the end down and move the mirror inboard for more clearance.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/sicass-racing-metal-pivot-mirror-p

You can find the same mirror marketed by other companies such as Ken Sean and Bikemaster.

+1, when I break mirrors those are my goto....  Once you get them adjusted right, they fold down nicely as well.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Cozzydog said:

Ride first time this past weekend with the stock mirrors. Unbearable as they would work themselves loose on the heavy off-road.

What are you guys using?

I run these acerbis  _mir.jpg.d00f454d2f2dfd4bdcf0f6669858bf82.jpg          https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/acerbis-right-hand-rear-view-mirror-p                                             RMATVMC sells them for ~$15.00 ea. (order either RT or LT) They are 2" in diam. so I believe they meet the feds min. size requirement but your local laws may differ. They can fold down out of harms way when off-road or if they hit something. On my XRL the are not ideal. The mounts suck so they tend to vibrate and, depending on location, you may not see around your arms very well. I sort of fixed the last issue with the addition of a stick on fish eye mirror. RAM Ball Mounts would probably solve both of these issues. Still  it can be difficult to see much through these mirrors because of there small size (I don't use them much, I'd rather see what I'm about to hit)              _adv_mir-.jpg.282c4ce12073e19a5bc8c3fda69f1e0c.jpg If you need something bigger RMATVMC sells these at twice the price.            https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/double-take-replacement-adventure-mirror-p                       if you find you need to order RAM mounts, make sure of the threads at the mounting location, some manufacture's use finer thread pitch or even reversed (L/R) threads on mirror mounting points.  

I am using a double take mirror with short RAM mount on the left bar only. If the trail is extremely rough, even when the mirror clamp is VERY tight, it can still migrate down. I usually loosen the clamp and swivel it down when in the trails, and bring it back up for road connectors. 

If there's a better option out there, I'd like to know too.

I have never had stock mirrors that were any good. 

Bite the bullet either go the Double Take way to have mirrors that actually work (but get the 2inch arm). Or get those that you can flip behind the handguards, they will make you legal and not be in the way when you (eventually) crash ?

17 hours ago, Cozzydog said:

What are you guys using?

plumbers tape on the threads

but i never ever use them so i take them off