Sign in to follow this  

XR650R Installing electric starter in XRR today

I start the installation of the electric starter today. What is the best way to take care of the stator situation? Rewind, Rickey stator or what . Thanks for any info

17 minutes ago, JBaz said:

Can't go wrong with either Ricky Stator or a Baja Designs rewind. Both time-tested.

I'd avoid Electrosport or any no-name eBay solution...just my 2c.

Guess I will go with the rickey stator. Thanks. They make the hook up look easy.

• Like 1

Made a housing on left side near end of side panel with the solenoid on inside of air intake where one would do the airbox mod, will take some pics and show. I think it will hold up to bashing, keep in mind I don't beat the hell out of her but think it is ok. I have an EarthX battery.

Thanks that will be great. I thought I had a flywheel puller but I was wrong. Got one now so back to it today.

Here is where I ended up. My mechanic buddy thinks it will be fine, proof is in the long run.

IMG_20190829_135835.jpg

IMG_20190829_135844.jpg

so far the hardest part of this install is the grinding so the starter clears . Do you have any problem with starting. What did you do for the 12 volts DC?

Me personally, I have a small Tusk battery pack for my LED's, then took that out and ran everything thru the earth x one for the starter. Starts right up, but then I also have a Lectron.

I got one also. The starting problem I was asking about was having long cables to the starter.  The directions say keep them short as posable

This is a much better place for it, and real easy to make a tray with some aluminum strips....

B715BB0D-0907-4B7C-A592-51A99B07EF21.jpeg

21 hours ago, mirage100 said:

I got one also. The starting problem I was asking about was having long cables to the starter.  The directions say keep them short as posable

When we were doing it, we had like 2 ft of cable and the length didn't seem to matter, even though shorter was the advice. that said, thought about putting the battery behind the headlight, nixed that idea, maybe try for inside the airbox, then tried like most down on the motor in from of shock but fitment was just not right. So then thought about the current location. NOW, it depends on your riding! If doing Baja racing or whatever, definitely have to be beefed up, but ADVing, or anything LESS than full racing I think it will be fine until I get another Epiphany. But we never experienced any problem with length of wire or cables. And the battery is not a super big Harley battery!

what did everyone use for a shifter? just buy the factory XR650L and cut the splines off and reweld? all the aftermarket shifters I find are steel .

Where did you mount the chock cable 

On 8/30/2019 at 8:35 AM, hockeyrick said:

Me personally, I have a small Tusk battery pack for my LED's, then took that out and ran everything thru the earth x one for the starter. Starts right up, but then I also have a Lectron.

Where did you mount the choke for your Lectron caeb?