Sign in to follow this  

GYTR Fan Killing Battery- 2019 YZ450FX

HELP! Bought a GYTR fan for my 2019 YZ450FX. It runs so much that it runs down the battery until I can't start the bike. Is there any way to map the bike so the fan will come on at a hotter temp? It seems to run way too much. Dealer doesn't know shit. You'd think being that it is a GYTR product it would be fine. Had the same one on my 2016FX and didn't have a single problem. 

Get rid of that POS stock battery and get an Anti-Gravity unit. My stock battery only lasted about 2 months

Nope my stock battery took a dump at about 30 hours before I even installed the fan. I'm running a Firepower battery now and they are supposed to be real good. I've run it down to nothing two times now riding mountain single track. Finally just unhooked the fan.

Nope my stock battery took a dump at about 30 hours before I even installed the fan. I'm running a Firepower battery now and they are supposed to be real good. I've run it down to nothing two times now riding mountain single track. Finally just unhooked the fan.

Does the firepower battery help starting as well? These bikes don’t start well which sucks for dead engine race starts.

The below comment is under the fan description on Yamaha’s website: 

“Note: Certain 2019 YZ450FX units may not have had the ECU properly programmed to control the operation of this accessory fan kit. Please check with your dealer to ensure that operation of the accessory fan kit has been enabled.”

https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/details/radiator-fan-kit?b=Cross+Country+Accessories&d=41|41&ls=yamaha-motor-company

4 hours ago, ridindurty03 said:

52 minutes ago, R3250 said:

“Note: Certain 2019 YZ450FX units may not have had the ECU properly programmed to control the operation of this accessory fan kit. Please check with your dealer to ensure that operation of the accessory fan kit has been enabled.”

https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/details/radiator-fan-kit?b=Cross+Country+Accessories&d=41|41&ls=yamaha-motor-company

Other than issues mentioned above. I cannot see the addition of a fan running a good battery down. 

The fan on my built 16’ WR450 with a big bore was on a lot with the extreme riding we do. It never dropped the battery down. 

3 hours ago, R3250 said:

“Note: Certain 2019 YZ450FX units may not have had the ECU properly

Pretty certain this was more to do with the ECU not actuating the fan in the first place, happy to be corrected though. The ECU is preset to activate/deactivate the fan relay from sensors already on the bike. There is no way the fan should be draining all power from a running bike. Is it possible the fan is drawing too much current due to partially blocked fins, dodgy shaft bearing or a 'Friday Fan' ?? Have you tested the fan load, battery voltage with fan on and then off etc...These things are prone to terminal corrosion in the terminal blocks also. It may just be too much drawing through a bad connector under your tank somewhere. 

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 5:55 PM, torkd14 said:

Does the firepower battery help starting as well? These bikes don’t start well which sucks for dead engine race starts.

No I wouldn't say it helps the starting but definitely a stonger battery. I feel your pain on dead engine starts I've had the same issue. 

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 9:41 PM, ChampWazza said:

Pretty certain this was more to do with the ECU not actuating the fan in the first place, happy to be corrected though. The ECU is preset to activate/deactivate the fan relay from sensors already on the bike. There is no way the fan should be draining all power from a running bike. Is it possible the fan is drawing too much current due to partially blocked fins, dodgy shaft bearing or a 'Friday Fan' ?? Have you tested the fan load, battery voltage with fan on and then off etc...These things are prone to terminal corrosion in the terminal blocks also. It may just be too much drawing through a bad connector under your tank somewhere. 

From what I understand you are correct. I had to have my bike re-flashed in order to be able to run the fan in the first place. I have not run those tests, sounds like I'll need to take it to the dealer. Pretty disappointed in this bike my 16 never gave me a single problem. This bikes been in the dealer 3 times in 50 hours. 

On 8/27/2019 at 7:16 PM, WV Dave said:

How can you tell if my YZ 2019's CPU is not programmed?  is it mandatory to go to a dealer?  is there a we site to check this?

If 

38 minutes ago, Homero 623 said:

How can you tell if my YZ 2019's CPU is not programmed?  is it mandatory to go to a dealer?  is there a we site to check this?

If your bike gets hot and the fan never comes on, you’ll know it needs to be checked at the dealer. That’s how I knew mine wasn’t programmed. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Homero 623 said:

My fan worked after install, so I never checked with the dealer.  

I put a voltmeter on my my '19 after having issues with the oem battery.  I quickly realized that the oem unit was garbage.  I am now using an Anti-Gravity Restart battery.  I have a Tusk dual sport kit and a GYTR fan.  Swapped out the headlight bulb for an LED bulb.  With the fan and all the lights running, I drop below 13 volts.  Once the fan stops, I get a 13.5 - 14.0v charge when cruising.    You could have a bad battery.  A small percentage of them are lemons.  Try running a cheap voltmeter and monitor your battery voltage when riding.  Your battery should be able to keep up with the fan.