Sign in to follow this  

KX125 Kick Lever Swap

I have a 2002 KX125 and I’ve noticed that the kick lever is really really short compared to like the kx250 kicker. I know the 125 requires much less effort to kick so it doesn’t need such a long kick lever. But will the 250 lever fit the 125?  The stock lever only gives me about half of a kick worth of throw whereas I believe the 250 lever would help get a longer kick stroke. 

Just now, jlj1267 said:

I have a 2002 KX125 and I’ve noticed that the kick lever is really really short compared to like the kx250 kicker. I know the 125 requires much less effort to kick so it doesn’t need such a long kick lever. But will the 250 lever fit the 125?  The stock lever only gives me about half of a kick worth of throw whereas I believe the 250 lever would help get a longer kick stroke. 

is the kicker mounted/oriented on the splines at the correct angle? Are you letting the kicker ratchet back up after finding TDC before you kick it?

1 hour ago, SlowDinoDog said:

is the kicker mounted/oriented on the splines at the correct angle? Are you letting the kicker ratchet back up after finding TDC before you kick it?

Yes the angle is right and the kicker fully returns to the up position. But the short throw of the actual kicker goes down about even with the foot peg so I only have a small amount of throw before my foot hits the peg. The bike starts fine I just have to kick it really really quick and hard to get her to fire. Im not sure if the splines for the 250 are the same as the 125 or not. 

The kicker from the 250 will not fit.  Even if it did, it will only increase the leverage you have, not the number of turns on the motor it produces.

How many hours on that top end?  You probably need to freshen up that motor.

You can start a healthy 125 with your hand.  I think yours isn't healthy.

• Like 1

The top end is fresh. It’s not hard to start at all. I guess I’m just not used to the short kicker. It barely gives the engine a full revolution when I kick it over. I guess I was really looking for a way to make hot starting a little easier because when hot, it does get old giving it little half kicks over and over. 

The top end has only about 3 hours of ride time on it since the rebuild. 

I'll look at mine when I get home.  I think the 125 has at least two usable revolutions in a full stroke of the kicker.

What shape was the cylinder in?  Should start super easy with a new top end unless the bore is toasted.