Sign in to follow this  

Washington (Seattle) Registration Tab Costs

I bought my first bike in October of last year and I just got my registration renewal. I live in Seattle so I imagine that has something to do with the seemingly high price. Its a plated '07 WR250F  but I'm curious from other Washington riders, both inside and outside Seattle, if this seems normal or if something is wrong. When I originally got it titled and registered, the lady at the licensing office didn't seem to be very knowledgeable. I didn't think my yearly registration for my 240lb dirt bike would be nearly as much as my 08 4Runner ($240).

OHV TABS TOTAL ($36.25)
Registration License - $18.00
Registration Filing - $4.50
Registration Service Fee (Funds ferry replacement (County Auditor/DOL) or is retained by the office (subagent) - $8.00
License Plate Technology - $0.25
Department of Licensing Service - $0.50
WA State park donation (optional) - $5

STREET TABS TOTAL ($156.25)
Registration License - $30.00
Vehicle Weight - $25.00
Registration Service Fee (Funds ferry replacement (County Auditor/DOL) or is retained by the office (subagent).) - $8.00
Transportation Benefit District - Seattle - $80.00
RTA Excise Tax - $3.00

Grand total - $192.50

Ya man, keep Seattle mooooooving with your contributions. Also, aren’t WRs kinda heavy? I’m sure they hafta replace asphalt as you roll by.

sorry for the sarcasm but the Ass rape continues to fund sound transit. I don’t live in king county so I pay nominal fees comparatively. $84 for a plate. Kitsap county. 

• Like 1

I’m ~170 to renew both tabs in pierce county and they gouge me $45 rta tax. Cost more then my 3/4 ton truck. 

Not to get off topic but why the f do we need both orv and street tab, I never see orv tab on wheelin rigs out on the trail systems where we need them. So if our bike is street legal like a wheelin rig then why are they double dipping us?

Yep, it's bad. Washington State and King County have never seen a tax or fee that they didn't like. Then, any question about why something isn't being done is answered with "We don't have the budget to do that".

At least they don't totally butt-rape trucks. My Silverado 3500 tabs were $105 vs $400+ for a Q50 Infinity of lower value. Could King County actually give a damn about the working man?? I find that hard to believe...

• Helpful 1

Yeah I guess I was just surprised because I know the registration cost is supposed to go by some algorithm of value/weight/etc but to see it nearly the same as my 4runner was shocking. It's an 11 year old 240lb dirt bike worth maybe $3k at best and gets ridiculously good gas mileage. How it costs nearly the same as my 5500lb 4runner that gets 16mph is dumbfounding. I should also mention, I don't even ride my bike in Seattle, it's only plated for legally riding Forest roads and connecting trails.

My wife and I will probably be buying a house in the next year or two and I've been looking more towards Edmonds so that were out of King county but still close enough to Seattle for work.

It would seem the state could remove some of the duplicate fees for motorcycles that are dual registered or create a new category for dual sport bikes where the road registration includes a discounted orv tab as well as some sort of combo. I knew vehicle registration was expensive here but I didn't think it would affect motorcycles as much as it does.

• Like 1

I got 3 plated bikes, so It's like 600...and I wonder if I even ride 600 miles of pavement per year. 

The folks that should really be screaming are the auto sales folks, because the licensing costs and phoney depreciation schedule is basically criminal.  1.1% of MSRP??? And a client of mine complained about it, got the case reviewed...and they RAISED the fee on him. 

• Sad 1

I have a dirt bike in AZ that is plated for 20% street use; OHV tab  is $25/year, street tab is $4.75. I renew online and there is a $0.50 mailing cost on each.
The OHV tabs are issued by Fish & Wildlife and all of the money goes to trails. No other fees.

I thought about dual registering a XR in WA but decided the recurring costs weren't worth it.

Edited by Chuck.

4 hours ago, verman84 said:

Yeah I guess I was just surprised because I know the registration cost is supposed to go by some algorithm of value/weight/etc but to see it nearly the same as my 4runner was shocking. It's an 11 year old 240lb dirt bike worth maybe $3k at best and gets ridiculously good gas mileage. How it costs nearly the same as my 5500lb 4runner that gets 16mph is dumbfounding. I should also mention, I don't even ride my bike in Seattle, it's only plated for legally riding Forest roads and connecting trails.

My wife and I will probably be buying a house in the next year or two and I've been looking more towards Edmonds so that were out of King county but still close enough to Seattle for work.

It would seem the state could remove some of the duplicate fees for motorcycles that are dual registered or create a new category for dual sport bikes where the road registration includes a discounted orv tab as well as some sort of combo. I knew vehicle registration was expensive here but I didn't think it would affect motorcycles as much as it does.

I'm in Shoreline and the creeping insidiousness of King County taxes and fees is stifling. 20 years ago Shoreline was a FIND for housing. Low everything (except for local taxes; but great schools, no potholes, great infrastructure). However, the rampant taxation of Seattle spread into King County and here we are. I would love to move north of King County but selling and buying is cost prohibitive compared to just staying here. Retirement? I WISH that I could move to Everett or near there to keep the city close with small town feel, but Seattle is likely to remain near and dear to my wife (as long as her mom is living in Chinatown), and food options are pretty good (my wife is a foodie and I'm an "eatie," so yeah). If traffic continues its exponential growth then I cannot WAIT for the light rail that I am (reluctantly) paying for. Until then, bicycles and motorcycles, even with stupid license fees. It's interesting that most of my motorcycles have the same characteristics regarding licensing...

Anyway, I think that SnoCo is likely next on the rampant fees and taxation list, so choose wisely and plan to stay for a while to amortize your investment.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, verman84 said:

I bought my first bike in October of last year and I just got my registration renewal. I live in Seattle so I imagine that has something to do with the seemingly high price. Its a plated '07 WR250F  but I'm curious from other Washington riders, both inside and outside Seattle, if this seems normal or if something is wrong. When I originally got it titled and registered, the lady at the licensing office didn't seem to be very knowledgeable. I didn't think my yearly registration for my 240lb dirt bike would be nearly as much as my 08 4Runner ($240).

OHV TABS TOTAL ($36.25)
Registration License - $18.00
Registration Service Fee (Funds ferry replacement (County Auditor/DOL) or is retained by the office (subagent) - $8.00

STREET TABS TOTAL ($156.25)
Registration License - $30.00
Vehicle Weight - $25.00
Registration Service Fee (Funds ferry replacement (County Auditor/DOL) or is retained by the office (subagent).) - $8.00
Transportation Benefit District - Seattle - $80.00
RTA Excise Tax - $3.00

Grand total - $192.50

Well, the RTA $80 right there is criminal. Considering how many times I have been pulled over (never) maybe the value is just in getting the plate so you have one on there, then stop buying tabs.  I used to "donate" to the State Parks until I got shafted by a rent-a-cop at the Lake Sammamish Boat launch. F them. Short sighted b-terds gave up $30 a year in donations.

Edit -also you don't necessarily escape RTA fees going into Snohomish or Pierce Counties. (but you do if you live in parts of east Kingco 😉 )

Edited by KaToomTime
  • Like 2
  • Helpful 1

37 minutes ago, KaToomTime said:

Well, the RTA $80 right there is criminal. Considering how many times I have been pulled over (never) maybe the value is just in getting the plate so you have one on there, then stop buying tabs.  I used to "donate" to the State Parks until I got shafted by a rent-a-cop at the Lake Sammamish Boat launch. F them. Short sighted b-terds gave up $30 a year in donations.

Edit -also you don't necessarily escape RTA fees going into Snohomish or Pierce Counties. (but you do if you live in east Kingco 😉 )

https://www.soundtransit.org/sites/default/files/documents/fly_sound-transit-district.pdf

Most my friends in Seattle are dumping their plate and just buying orv tabs. One friend just sold a spare car, wasn't worth it.  Don't feel sorry for them too much, they vote this crap in every time.

• Like 4

Getting rid of the tonnage fee for bikes would be a good start.  Common sense enough you'd think a politician would look like an idiot not supporting it.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

33 minutes ago, pscook said:

hehe , I fixed it "parts" of east Kingco, or in the Newcastle-Issaquah exclusion zone. A bunch of ST execs must live around me, the gerrymandering geniuses.

Edit -that map cracks me up, it should say:

"Pierce County Shaft Area"

"Snohomish County Suckers Zone"

"East King County What Were You Thinking When You Voted" zone.

"South King County we're trying to tax 100% of your income" zone

Edited by KaToomTime
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Well Washington keeps getting better and better. Now you gotta pay just to report the sale of a vehicle and buy a 30$ pass as a private buyer. Wtf!?

Screenshot_20190828-172941.png

• Like 2

23 hours ago, pscook said:

One of the ways some of those community's fought to escape was their hill and grades could not ever be used for trains. More community's should have fought it off. But ya , too many wiggles in the boundary's lines to think their wasn't some deals made. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, rodie43 said:

Well Washington keeps getting better and better. Now you gotta pay just to report the sale of a vehicle and buy a 30$ pass as a private buyer. Wtf!?

Screenshot_20190828-172941.png

Why not a boat? How did that happen?