Sign in to follow this  

Hare Scrambles and XC racing...tell me about your tire set up

Relatively new guy, I'd like to hear what you are running for XC-style races (at any level) that is successful, and more importantly, what has not been successful...

1. What region of the globe are you at?

2. Do you run Tubliss, HD/UHD tubes, or mousse?

3. What kind of tires/combos are you running for your terrain? (mud, rocks, mixed sand/sugar sand, rutted trails, grass)

4. What setup have you tried that you'll never go back to?

***If I dropped this in the wrong section, please move to appropriate area***

Edited by NorthernAlpine

Commenting so I can keep track of this post. I will be looking for new tires in the near future and interested in the responses you get. I have Tubliss inserts for front and rear, but haven’t installed them yet. Waiting until I put new tires on.

Locally it’s sandy here in the Sandhills of NC, but up in Southern Va, Northern NC where I ride sometimes there is some rocky terrain. Not sure what my best “universal” set-up would be.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2019 at 12:11 PM, NorthernAlpine said:

Relatively new guy, I'd like to hear what you are running for XC-style races (at any level) that is successful, and more importantly, what has not been successful...

3. What kind of tires/combos are you running for your terrain? (mud, rocks, mixed sand/sugar sand, rutted trails, grass)

4. What setup have you tried that you'll never go back to?

***If I dropped this in the wrong section, please move to appropriate area***

Westcoast desert rider

TireBalls front, ultralight Enduromousse read 

3. What kind of tires/combos are you running for your terrain? (mud, rocks, mixed sand/sugar sand, rutted trails, grass)

GoldenTyre GT216AAHB 90/90/21 front at aprox 12psi and Michelin Starcross 5 Soft 110/100/18 with ultralight rear mousse 

4. What setup have you tried that you'll never go back to?

Tried virtually all tire brands in various sizes. Will never touch a Shinko front or a M5B rear

• Like 1

@Dbnicely the video you posted in the other topic looked wet, like the soil was about at water capacity before it starts puddling pretty bad. Are you swapping tires for conditions or just running aggressive tires regardless of weather/course?

I’m running stock OEM tires. Whatever comes on a 2018 Husky FX350 is my all purpose, do everything tire. As I get smarter on tires, etc.. I’ll start swapping over according to conditions, I’m just not smart enough yet. Don’t want to waste a bunch of money on tires that don’t work well.

18 tx300. I run harescrambles and enduros. Tubliss front and rear with slime in the tires. Golden tire fatty up front, not as picky with rear. I've run the golden tire rear intermediate, but now run kendas on the back. They work well and sponsor a lot of races. I run 7 to 9 in the front and 5 to 7 in the rear. I've not had any flats that ruined a ride or race. I'm totally sold on the fatty front tire. It's a g216aa I believe. I can pick any line with confidence. I believe in most cases that the tires are NOT the limiting factor for most recreational racers.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, pomoco said:

...I believe in most cases that the tires are NOT the limiting factor for most recreational racers.

Agreed. Just want to see what people are running in relation to flats and locations. 

New England

yz250x

Goto front is an m59 matched to an mt16 rear. if it gets really soupy the m5b works well for me. I also like the at81 rear (hate the front) but they go away pretty quickly.

the mx33 is better in the mud or sand than the m59, imho, the 59 works pretty well everywhere so a lot of us run them in generic conditions. a lot of actual rock or mud or sand would point me more towards a tire aimed at that specific terrain. 

bibs in both ends. I like them worn out vs. new. I can't feel the difference between the nutech and the michelin as far as I can tell.

40+B rider

• Like 2

Ya m59/mt16 is the go-to New England woods set up