Sign in to follow this  

2017 YZ250 suspension

I picked up a 17' YZ 250 today and the rear shock feels like it's just riding on the spring and has no compression, doesn't appear to be leaking oil on the shaft, I would like to ride it Saturday and I was wondering if I could pull the shock off my 15' yz250F and put it on there until  I rebuild the shock on the two stroke.  Both shocks look the same, was wondering if anyone can tell me if they are compatible before I pull the subframes off and swap shocks. Thank you in advance 

1566930483262.png

Yes you can, it might end up a little taller, and different valving, but you can do the swap.

Have you checked the comp/rebound/fast screws on the smoker to make sure they are not set at lowest setting? 

12 minutes ago, 2SYZDOC said:

Yes you can, it might end up a little taller, and different valving, but you can do the swap.

Have you checked the comp/rebound/fast screws on the smoker to make sure they are not set at lowest setting? 

Not yet, had to drop it off at home and head to work, I'm going to look and see  what factory settings are for the clickers on the shock and move everything to there and see if it is still is so springy.  Going to check it out once home tonight. 

Compression and rebound is set at factory settings after checking, going to give it a charge of Nitrogen in the morning and see what happens 

I think adding nitrogen will make it more springy or stay the same.  The nitrogen bladder is there to force the oil back into the shock on rebound.  Oil is there to dampen the springy-ness.

My guess is oil is gone and someone cleaned it up real good to sell the bike.

Not gonna work. The 14+ four stroke shock has the resevoir on the opposite side and the overall length is considerably shorter.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mikedabike said:

Not gonna work. The 14+ four stroke shock has the resevoir on the opposite side and the overall length is considerably shorter.

My bad, typo, the 250F is a 2012 

• Like 1

So the 2012 YZ250F shock is too short for the 2017 YZ250, the bottoms of the two are different.  I ordered new seals for the YZ shock and pulled it apart today expecting there to be no oil, but it was full and seals look good.  However after bleeding the nitrogen out before disassembling the shock, it was acting like it still had nitrogen in it while pushing the bladder tank in to remove the snap ring it kept pushing right back out on its own, unlike any other I've done. Then after removing the snap ring under the body that holds the shaft in there was a pop of air that pushed the oil seal out. The oil was filled with air bubbles.  So I'm assuming someone had this apart before and never bled the air out of it, causing it to react springy like it has no oil.  Going back together now and hoping to ride tomorrow, well if it's not 100 degrees here in Texas ?

1567276499759.png

All back together and ready to ride tomorrow, fresh oil in the shock, bled of air and filled with nitrogen, reacting perfectly now.  All the air bubbles in the oil was the issue, whoever serviced it at one point in its 30 hours did not bleed it. 

1567289939060.png

• Like 1

With bubbles present in the oil side, I would have preventatively replaced the bladder.

• Like 1