Sign in to follow this  

YZ144 Premix?

I've got a YZ144 and the PO told me he mixed 50:1... I run 32:1 in my 125's... what should I run on the Athena 144 YZ? Thanks.

It really depends on how much your piston weighs, but I'm going to say Rotella!

Edited by Zomby woof
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I will never understand the motivation to run the absolute bare minimum amount of premix oil.

32:1 and you will never have a lubrication related failure or premature wear. 

• Like 2

32:1 will be the best mix, however on a BB kit you install slightly smaller jets from stock since it sucks harder. 

This is of course if you are running at 0-6K and the bike was jetted for the Reed block, and/or pipe you run.

You have another 125 over the 2002, or is this just another top end? 

1 hour ago, 2SYZDOC said:

32:1 will be the best mix, however on a BB kit you install slightly smaller jets from stock since it sucks harder. 

This is of course if you are running at 0-6K and the bike was jetted for the Reed block, and/or pipe you run.

another 2002.. both the bikes I currently own are 2002 125's (one has an Athena 144 tho). Yup, FMF Fatty with a TC2... VForce Reeds, Unknown carb jets. I made a thread asking what I should do, nobody gave a direct answer.

Drop the stock sizes a few numbers if they have not been dropped already. Check the number on FMF, and moto tassinari also, for recommendation and you'll have a base to go off. 

• Like 1

Couldn't hurt to start with stock jets and see how it runs.  Just dropping in leaner jetting can be risky, you want to work your way down gradually, depending on what it likes and how the plug looks.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

1 hour ago, turbo dan said:

Couldn't hurt to start with stock jets and see how it runs.  Just dropping in leaner jetting can be risky, you want to work your way down gradually, depending on what it likes and how the plug looks.

will keep you updated!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 2SYZDOC said:

1 hour ago, turbo dan said:

I'll have to check what sized jets are currently on it... But do you guys recommend 32:1 or maybe 40:1? Idk why he ran 50:1... if the engine is bigger shouldn't you put more oil? So maybe even 30:1. Or maybe it doesn't matter.

There is no intelligent rationale for less oil than 32:1.  Some guys ride slow enough to get away with less, some guys are jetted so rich that 60:1 is delivering the same amount of oil as 32:1 would with proper jetting.

The difference between 30:1 and 32:1 is not significant.  32:1 runs clean and does not foul plugs.  That extra ounce of oil is not expensive.

Premix ratio should never be a variable.  People usually think they need less oil because their jetting is so far off the mark they have black goo running out of the muffler.  This may be an issue at a 10% premix concentration but not at 3%.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

18 hours ago, Gooney said:

...if the engine is bigger shouldn't you put more oil? So maybe even 30:1. Or maybe it doesn't matter.

If that was the case, what would CR and KX 500's run; 8-to-1?

Factory recommendations for 2-strokes from 50cc to 500cc generally all say 32 (or 30) -to-1.

Some guys running synthetic oils will mix it leaner. This is due to synthetic's superior lubrication properties, but that point is arguable.

Big bores can get away with less oil because they run at lower revs.  Less oil migration.

The marketing success of synthetic oil manufacturers has convinced many people that they work on magic and common sense need not be applied.

• Like 1

So 32:1 it is haha. What's the process like? Just drain it out of the tank and refill?