2004 YZ250 2 SMOKER

Whats up guys. ive just purchased a 2004 yz250 2 stroke after years of not riding. the bike seems to be in pretty good condition considering the year. I picked her up for right at 2k. i believe the previous owner put a wiesco piston kit in it and a FMF pipe and silencer, other than that its pretty much bone stock. im running maxima k2 2 stroke mix at a safe 32:1 ratio and using motul 10w30 trans oil. i put fresh oil in her when i purchased and cleaned old gas out the carb, slapped on a new air filter and put a hard 6-8 hrs on the bike. id say now is a good time to put some fresh tranny oil in the bike. im looking to put a new top end kit in to play it safe. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? as far as the best top end kit for your dollar? as well as any other suggestions to uprgrades i could find helpful? although i havent rode in a few years im very hard on the bike and usually stay in 4-5 gear on long straight aways! any input is helpful! 

Edited by paulwaka

2 hours ago, paulwaka said:

Whats up guys. ive just purchased a 2004 yz250 2 stroke after years of not riding. the bike seems to be in pretty good condition considering the make. I picked her up for right at 2k. i believe the previous owner put a wiesco piston kit in it and a FMF pipe and silencer, other than that its pretty much bone stock. im running maxima k2 2 stroke mix at a safe 32:1 ratio and using motul 10w30 trans oil. i put fresh oil in her when i purchased and cleaned old gas out the carb, slapped on a new air filter and put a hard 6-8 hrs on the bike. id say now is a good time to put some fresh tranny oil in the bike. im looking to put a new top end kit in to play it safe. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? as far as the best top end kit for your dollar? as well as any other suggestions to uprgrades i could find helpful? although i havent rode in a few years im very hard on the bike and usually stay in 4-5 gear on long straight aways! any input is helpful! 

Good piston for the dollar is pro x, for everything else there's wiseco?

Did you say “ it’s in good shape considering the make”? Wtf is that supposed to mean? This isn’t a coolster 125 from pep boys. Show this light weight high performance race bike a little respect. The yz250 won supercross titles and gncc titles back in the day. It might be one of the greatest all around dirt bikes ever designed. In fact you can still buy this bike 16 years later at your local Yamaha dealer. lol

• Helpful 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, turbo dan said:

Wiseco is a good bet in the 250.  I'm not sold on Pro-X since they started making their own pistons.  When they were ART in a Pro-X box, that was different.

Roger that! I do have experience with one that I'm currently running, came matched to a cylinder I bought and at 30 hrs it's looking great still. I've put in a few that's still running but that the extent of my hands on with them. Haven't heard a bad word yet though