Sign in to follow this  

CRF230F/L is my chain robbing me?

ok, I have a NEW 2004 crf230f I just bought 4 months ago(It is brand new), great bike..I lube the chain with Bel Ray chain lube which states to lube to a warm chain. So I warm the chain with my heat gun.. Still feels like the rear wheel is really held back by the O rings they use in that chain.. The bel ray is designed for O ring chains. Just seems like a HUGE drag on the horsepower,,any thoughts?

thanks

31 minutes ago, J C113 said:

ok, I have a NEW 2004 crf230f I just bought 4 months ago(It is brand new), great bike..I lube the chain with Bel Ray chain lube which states to lube to a warm chain. So I warm the chain with my heat gun.. Still feels like the rear wheel is really held back by the O rings they use in that chain.. The bel ray is designed for O ring chains. Just seems like a HUGE drag on the horsepower,,any thoughts?

thanks

Ya if needed take the chain off and clean it correctly.

Personally on my non or x-ring chains on my bikes, I use Maxima Clean Up and let soak for say a beer or t2.

Then spray with my electric power washer.

Remove excess water carefully with a rag then use Maxima MPPL.

Then lube with Maxima Chain Guard.

Are you 100% sure the is not another issue with the rear wheel. IE brakes ?

In general a rear wheel wheel will not spin as freely as a front wheel.

O-ring chains don't rob any more power than standard chains.  Under load the o-ring chain has less friction since they have grease sealed into the links.  The majority of the friction in any chain is between the pin and bushing.  The amount of friction created by o-rings is negligible.  Might be soaking up 1/8 of one horsepower, and the upside is they last five times longer than standard chains.

• Like 1

My rear wheel turns nice with chain off,,, was just wondering if this honda crf230f chain was a piece of crap or not.

Sounds as though you guys think the chain is ok. Im good with that, thanks.

I run non O’ring MX chains designed for 450’s

I use Only Maxama Chain Wax.

My chains and sprockets last for several years. I replace my front sprockets regularly, changed at first sign of wear, my rear aluminum sprockets seem to last forever.

I only adjust my chains maybe once after a new front sprocket is installed. They just do not seem to stretch or get loose.

I lube my chains immediately after EVERY ride when the chain is hot/warm, on the INSIDE of the chain.

One of my bikes is a 262cc 150f and the other is 273cc 230f both 2005’s

Same with my 1995 xr250r Duel sport,

My Honda 650 Hawk & 750 Nighthawk have larger chains but both have no O’rings

My rear wheels turns freely with no drag.

IMHO:

Factory 230 chains have a ridiculous amount of drag it seems no matter what lube or how hot they are.

Yes I think that they are indeed crap only because of how much drag they cause. (They seem to last pretty good in my experience)

• Like 1

Adnoguy,,so are you using the old style chain, no one rings, just a straight 520 chain?

Also want to get together with you about your engine mods for the 230

Adnoguy,,so are you using the old style chain, no one rings, just a straight 520 chain?

Also want to get together with you about your engine mods for the 230

Pm me sir, or do a search on this sight. I have been posting all about my mods many times over in the last ten years.

thanks
Stock chain on .last 5 230s that where as new. Big .time drag good chain lube and many miles. No drag it is junk chain but till it is shot I use it. We only use o ring chain and steel rear sprockets. As we have wasted. Non o ring chain with aluminum rear sprocket. In under 300 miles on 800 mile ride that sucks.