Sign in to follow this  

Ltr450 shavings in oil

Just got my 06 ltr back from mechanic from getting the fuel system worked on. New fuel pump + regulator, and a whole new tps sensor. Runs great now, only thing is he said he dumped the oil and it had some metal shavings in it. I just changed it right before I took it to him, not even 30 minutes of run time before I dropped it off.

I know it needs a top end and the valves could use shimming but I got that covered

Should I get a wrench rabbit whole engine rebuild kit or a oem crank? I was thinking about a hot rods crank but I’ve read that they make the hot rods crank with less heat expansion clearance making them more prone to seizure.

Question is should I go oem or hot rods crank? Hot rods is cheaper (250 ish for whole bottom end with bearings)

And 500 for oem

Oem will be better quality yes but is it worth the extra dough?

First off, is the mechanic trust worthy? It seems if there's only 30 minutes on fresh oil and you have metal shavings then the problem is pretty major. You probably should have heard strange sounds from the engine. Did you see the shavings? Was they steel or aluminum? Big chunks or just a "film" of metal? Second, if I was you and I just rode trails for fun, I would buy the cheaper kit. I've never personally used wrench rabbit kits but I've heard good things about them.

First off, is the mechanic trust worthy? It seems if there's only 30 minutes on fresh oil and you have metal shavings then the problem is pretty major. You probably should have heard strange sounds from the engine. Did you see the shavings? Was they steel or aluminum? Big chunks or just a "film" of metal? Second, if I was you and I just rode trails for fun, I would buy the cheaper kit. I've never personally used wrench rabbit kits but I've heard good things about them.

Yes he is trustworthy, he is the only good guy that works at my local dealer so going straight to him instead of dealer is way cheaper and a better service

No I personally did not see the shavings and quad runs very strong and shows zero signs of engine wear. I bought it about a month ago and it was a very poorly taken care of machine, oil was filthy but full, and air filter was horrendous

I would flush the engine and ride it!!! Happy trails, head up, wheels down.