Sign in to follow this  

some carnage pics

Picked up this 05 CRF250X (posting in R forum since X part is irrelevant), looks like has maybe 20 hours on it or less, original tires and all, but alas, seized.

Of course first I went to check the oil filter.  Was fairly clean but hmm, kinda dry.   So no brass flakes at least. The guy who rode it last (I think the only owner) said it started boiling over on him and then seized.

Check engine side oil..  there's some of it there but much less than expected.

Then opened up the top end and there we have it, it's cooked pretty good.

Then had to check if it's the "crank seal oil transfer" thing, so opened up the tranny oil level bolt, and probably ~300-400ml came out.

So looks like oil transfer to transmission side and the owner kept riding it until either cam created enough drag and seized or maybe there's more damage in the bottom part.  But it started turning freely and doesn't make any weird noises while at it once I got the cam out.

20190827_163719_HDR.jpg

20190827_163818_HDR.jpg

First time for me to see this type of damage.  I'm still kinda mystified how the heck would it starve for oil so bad when there's still some left?  The pickup is at the very bottom so it wasn't exactly dry.  Maybe some of it just transferred back slowly over the years through the same leaky seal though.  Bike's been sitting for like 7 years, I think the carb is probably fused solid with varnish.

When these bikes starve of oil the valve train is the first to get hit- I worked on an 07 that was ran without oil. The cam lobes were rounded, buckets blued and cracked and chain guide was melted and all the plastic built up inside the valve cover. Piston was partially seized but the crank was fine (crank, bearings and oil pump were replaced anyways). More moving parts in concentrated heat in the top end doesn't allow for much leniency with the lack of lubrication. 

Most cases there is still a little bit of oil left in the crankcase but whatever there is is usually picked up by the counterweights, so the oil pump runs dry (and your bikes case most of it probably leaked past the seal).