Duel in the Dark, Downieville's Divide Trail: October 2019

The Riddler has accepted my trail challenge, we will be meeting up for a high stakes ride on the Yuba river. Midnight ride on a trail that has never ending fall to your death exposure...the locals suggest mtn bikes only....but we're too stupid to listen. Winner keep or take all, $2,000

I've been to this trail once, two years ago. The below video is the only video on YouTube of the 3 trails (gets especially "real" around 7:30 mark) . When asked, locals told us that riding motorcycles on this trail is rare, dangerous, not a good idea.  Riding this in the dark, possibly raining, ...going to make it even more fun...

Edited by TigerTanker
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, TigerTanker said:

The Riddler has accepted my trail challenge, we will be meeting up for a high stakes ride on the Yuba river. Midnight ride on a trail that has never ending fall to your death exposure...the locals suggest mtn bikes only....but we're too stupid to listen. Winner keep or take all, $2,000

I've been to this trail once, two years ago. The below video is the only video on YouTube of the 3 trails (gets especially "real" around 7:30 mark) . When asked, locals told us that riding motorcycles on this trail is rare, dangerous, not a good idea.  Riding this in the dark, possibly raining, ...going to make it even more fun...

Downieville trails were OHV long before they became popular with mountain bikers. 

I hate to tell you that your little adventure isn’t that extreme. 

People peddle bicycles up those trails. 

Edited by Chief
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

11 minutes ago, Chief said:

Downieville trails were OHV long before they became popular with mountain bikers. 

I hate to tell you that your little adventure isn’t that extreme. 

People peddle bicycles up these trails. 

How many times you ridden divide 1,2,3?

You're more than welcome to pre ride the trail for us if you'd like and sweep it for dead fall, dangerous obstacles, or dead bodies etc? 

10 minutes ago, TigerTanker said:

How many times you ridden divide 1,2,3?

You're more than welcome to pre ride the trail for us if you'd like and sweep it for dead fall, dangerous obstacles, or dead bodies etc? 

Enough times to know that you sound silly trying to exaggerate about the areas we ride. 

2 minutes ago, Chief said:

Enough times to know that you sound silly trying to exaggerate about the areas we ride. 

I bet you don't have so much as a selfie of you on that trail....

I've ridden ever state West of Nebraska and Divide in my opinion is one of the best trails I've ever ridden. It's challenging, dangerous and visually stunning.

Plenty of men speak of their courage at the safe confines and comfort of the campfire...  Chief, I'm glad you're joining us and doing the night's pre ride since it's such a simple no brainer trail. Thanks. 

Last Summer 20 of us were at an alpine ride event, but only @KaToomTime and I took off on that night of lightning, rain to ride the cliffs.  

IMG_4276.JPG.98adbb546e3416ed1f47f5fdd652b62f.JPG 

1719884857_downloaded369.JPG.5f3f788e636c8b329596ce1240db4561.JPG

Divide is a great trail, wouldn't say it's the hardest trail but the price for failure is extreme, combine that with all that pure pitch black darkness brings and you've got a hell of a ride...

The riders at Downieville and the towns folk, bike shop employees all told us that the Divide trail was something only for people that were nuts. But hey, who are those locals to judge any self proclaimed keyboard AA rider???

5 minutes ago, TigerTanker said:

I've ridden ever state West of Nebraska and Divide in my opinion is one of the best trails I've ever ridden. It's challenging, dangerous and visually stunning.

Plenty of men speak of their courage at the safe confines and comfort of the campfire...  Chief, I'm glad you're joining us and doing the night's pre ride since it's such a simple no brainer trail. Thanks. 

Last Summer 20 of us were at an alpine ride event, but only @KaToomTime and I took off on that night of lightning, rain to ride the cliffs.  

Interesting perspective, not taking a "selfie" now means you don't ride. Here I have always thought not taking "selfies" means you aren't a 13 year old girl.

• Like 3
  • Helpful 3
  • Haha 9

Just now, BigBob's Daddy said:

Interesting perspective, not taking a "selfie" now means you don't ride. Here I have always thought not taking "selfies" means you aren't a 13 year old girl.

The old saying is pictures are proof...

If you're going to make a bold statement, prove it. 

I got pics and videos from places I go. When I say something, I got the vids or pics to back it up. 

Money where your mouth is..... that's me. I'm the one fronting the 2 grand... the only prize for me is keeping my own money if I win. But hey, let's argue some semantics instead Daddy Issues. 

Anyways, enough bluster and negativity. Riddler's looking forward to a fun ride and so am I. It'll be the first time I've met him after visiting the state numerous times. 

1 minute ago, TheWoodsCommander said:

But the next day we are riding trails of my choice. You forgot that part

Actually, my memory is really good. I agree to accept your gracious invitation. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TigerTanker said:

6 minutes ago, TigerTanker said:

1719884857_downloaded369.JPG.5f3f788e636c8b329596ce1240db4561.JPG

Divide is a great trail, wouldn't say it's the hardest trail but the price for failure is extreme, combine that with all that pure pitch black darkness brings and you've got a hell of a ride...

The riders at Downieville and the towns folk, bike shop employees all told us that the Divide trail was something only for people that were nuts. But hey, who are those locals to judge any self proclaimed keyboard AA rider???

Do you ever read what you write?

I have no interest in being at this night event.

However, I will be more than happy to be at the ride after.  

• Like 1

Just now, TigerTanker said:

I got pics and videos from places I go. When I say something, I got the vids or pics to back it up. 

Money where your mouth is..... that's me. I'm the one fronting the 2 grand... the only prize for me is keeping my own money if I win. But hey, let's argue some semantics instead Daddy Issues. 

Anyways, enough bluster and negativity. Riddler's looking forward to a fun ride and so am I. It'll be the first time I've met him after visiting the state numerous times. 

You are missing the point here... the point is, what happened to the diaper part of the deal? If nobody is wearing huggies, i want this thread shut down.

• Haha 1

My first night ride was to legendary Mt CLifty, solo. I only had 11 months of experience and I'd earlier in the day ridden over 100 miles of st and jeep trails. In hindsight, I was taking a pretty good risk. 

This year I rode that route but did the North Side of Clifty, a place one of your California riders fell to his death in a 700 foot fall a few years back. Full moon, solo, never been on the trail.... I was so sick from stress and anxiety for the hours leading up to the ride that I almost got sick.  Again, it's one thing to talk about night riding in Mountain exposure, it's another to actually show up and do it... 

Some talk, some do...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, TigerTanker said:

Actually, my memory is really good. I agree to accept your gracious invitation. 

I’ve made no claims and could care less about having any “proof”. 

Your attempt at gaslighting is rookie level at best. 

3 minutes ago, Chief said:

Do you ever read what you write?

I have no interest in being at this night event.

However, I will be more than happy to be at the ride after.  

Nah, that's ok... I'd be just fine with Riddler and Wolf. If you can't make it to this simple jeep trail ohv place and do a sweep ride then you can't attend the retribution ride either...

• Like 1