Will be getting the first 2020 KTM 500 XCF - W in my part of Texas.

34 minutes ago, Airboss/oc said:

my '17 500exc-w runs like a 300 on steroids after some refinements

Love to hear what refinements you did to accomplish this?  Suspension?  Did you drop some weight, if yest how?

MasterBlaster,

Congrats on the new bike. Interested to hear your thoughts on the differences.

On 8/29/2019 at 4:08 PM, Airboss/oc said:

get the 500 EXC-W and you have the best of the 300 smoker and street legal DS bike all in one. I rode 300s for about 11 yrs and when the 17 500 came out I jumped. my first impression was , "don't sell the 300" but after Vortex , de-smog and removing all the street crap then do a gearing change 14/52 the 300 got left to collect dust in the garage and then got sold. the new bikes are that much better but its an investment

Looking forward to this bike , Had a 18 EXCF that was a stall monster oping this is a better uncorked machine, will be plating it.

I hope this works for you. I just don't see KTM going back to dirt bike performance if they can't get it past the regulations. What then for your 2020?

the gearing ,de-smog and ecu are most important . like I said my 300 was king til this bike got dialed in . vortex was the magic black  box and for suspension I set static and ride sag adjusted the compression and rebound to my liking and ride. the tubliss and fatty tires make it stick like glue to almost any surface with a tire pressure adjust. used a fmf stealth muffler with SA  oem header and lower ims core pegs . all the street crap is deleted along with the street wire harness, its early version of a 2020  500xc-w . in total it lost 7lbs of street crap

On 8/31/2019 at 4:05 AM, cmbthumper said:

MasterBlaster,

On 8/31/2019 at 4:05 AM, cmbthumper said:

MasterBlaster,

That being said you don't see any 500's doing hard enduro 300 is king!

Edited by allout48

4 hours ago, allout48 said:

Um how about a DRZ 400 or a CRF230 doing hard enduro. How’s your riding skills? Cause last time I checked it ain’t the bike. 

Whole lot of 300’s took a whooping on this little baby hill. 

12 hours ago, SteveThe Snakes said:

Um how about a DRZ 400 or a CRF230 doing hard enduro. How’s your riding skills? Cause last time I checked it ain’t the bike. 

Whole lot of 300’s took a whooping on this little baby hill. 

Facts like I said 300 is preferred bike or 250  just saying!

23 minutes ago, allout48 said:

Facts like I said 300 is preferred bike or 250  just saying!

Hahaha yup I hear you. But how many 300 riders are there that even ride hard enduro. Likely not that many. But most of all the hard enduro racers do ride 300’s. So not taking anything away from the 300’s and real racers. 

I do some extreme riding. But also big hills so I ride a 500. I think of adding a new 300 in however I don’t think it will get ridden enough.

I have seen quite a few riders on our ride suffer on 300’s. They excel in rocks not spinning the tire with too much torque like a 500. However they can suffer when there is no run up a steep hill. The 300’s need to be held on the powerband they also don’t have as much torque and HP on top. You really have to be on your game with the 300’s. 

My son has a 17’ 500 and a new 300. He prefers the 300 but he does the extra extreme and normally makes up for a lack of torque with skills. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SteveThe Snakes said:

Hahaha yup I hear you. But how many 300 riders are there that even ride hard enduro. Likely not that many. But most of all the hard enduro racers do ride 300’s. So not taking anything away from the 300’s and real racers. 

I do some extreme riding. But also big hills so I ride a 500. I think of adding a new 300 in however I don’t think it will get ridden enough.

I have seen quite a few riders on our ride suffer on 300’s. They excel in rocks not spinning the tire with too much torque like a 500. However they can suffer when there is no run up a steep hill. The 300’s need to be held on the powerband they also don’t have as much torque and HP on top. You really have to be on your game with the 300’s. 

My son has a 17’ 500 and a new 300. He prefers the 300 but he does the extra extreme and normally makes up for a lack of torque with skills. 

Yep not knocking the 500 it is a incredible bike, but you said it he prefers the 300!! They just don't wear you out as much, and they beg for the nasty trails. He has the best of both worlds that was my point.

Edited by allout48

On 9/1/2019 at 3:11 PM, allout48 said:

I have a 19 300 TPI already, I ride tight woods with t and with the nutech 8 psi mousse the bike is dam near perfect, only mod is the slavens screw, using the ktm /husky method of tuning air screw.  

Hoping to have hands on the 500 soon, but I fly out for two weeks on Sunday so if not by then it will be two weeks.

Edited by masterblaster
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, masterblaster said:

Sad news gents, I picked up the 2020 500 EXC-F instead of the W. After 20 miles I ot to say not one bit of choking, the dam this is the Iike my last two EXC Fs should have been.

Its a transformation year for the EXC F's

Um 20 mi. don’t mean much. Maybe even dual sport miles.