WATCH ME BE BAD

@Horse Stick When you have dumped the last of your Camelback into your radiator while also dying of thirst...  still have 15 miles of gnarly ass trail to the trucks... Meat Whistle is offering to piss in your rads...   bike is a steaming pile of shit...  engine sounds like gravel...  you won't think $40 for a reservoir to catch a pint of coolant is overkill !  ?

Edited by Jeff aka Bolt
  • Helpful 1

38 minutes ago, Jeff aka Bolt said:

@Horse Stick When you have dumped the last of your Camelback into your radiator while also dying of thirst...  still have 15 miles of gnarly ass trail to the trucks... Meat Whistle is offering to piss in your rads...   bike is a steaming pile of shit...  engine sounds like gravel...  you won't think $40 for a reservoir to catch a pint of coolant is overkill !  ?

THATS WHAT THE FAN IS FOR. OR JUST RIDE FASTER. DUH. oops sorry for the blasted caps  lock lol

@Jeff aka Bolt hmmm never tried a hash tag here before. neato

can we bring back the "&%$#@!yur"? looks like this ^. as in ^reservoir ?

#doesntknowhoetouseahashtag

Edited by Horse Stick
  • Like 1

If a fuse blows do you replace it with a paperclip and declare "I fixed the problem" or do you go find the wires that are rubbing against the frame somewhere?

Your radiator cap is nothing more than a fuse.

When steam comes out it means that something is wrong - it means that you are putting more energy into the cooling system than the cooling system can dissipate.

You can either:

1) Decrease the amount of energy going into the system (don't get rat trapped in a 101 degree wash).

Or:

2) Increase the energy being released from the cooling system (more airflow over the radiators = ride faster or bigger cooling fan)

Believe it or not coolant and engine ice transfer LESS heat away from your engine than water does - they just raise the boiling point really high. Now your engine isn't steaming anymore, but it's running at 280+ degrees. Paperclip in the fuse holder.

- 230 degrees coolant temp is a safe upper limit for engine temps, no harm no foul.

- 250 degrees halves the life of lubricating oils every time you touch that temp- ie your ktm 15 hour service interval is now 7.5 hours. Do it again and now it's 3.75 hours. You better be running synthetic oil, because if your coolant temp is 250 your internal engine temps will be much higher.

- 280 degrees coolant temp is bad. Shit starts to fail. Oil breaks down, even the good stuff. Sensors and other electronics get angry. Ask anyone who has had a stator or coil pickup fail on them what coolant they are running.

In conclusion:

- Run 25pct to 50pct coolant, but no more than 50pct. 25pct is just for lubrication and cold winter mornings.
- Run a fan. Bigger fan the better.
- Water wetter does help a little, but the more % coolant the less it helps.
- Straight water + water wetter IS the most efficient at transferring heat, but water wetter does not lubricate as well as coolant.
- Boiling over isn't a bad thing, it's your bikes way of telling you to stop.

• Like 4
  • Helpful 2

1 hour ago, mitchb said:

If a fuse blows do you replace it with a paperclip and declare "I fixed the problem" or do you go find the wires that are rubbing against the frame somewhere?

When steam comes out it means that something is wrong - it means that you are putting more energy into the cooling system than the cooling system can dissipate.

You can either:

1) Decrease the amount of energy going into the system (don't get rat trapped in a 101 degree wash).

Or:

2) Increase the energy being released from the cooling system (more airflow over the radiators = ride faster or bigger cooling fan)

Believe it or not coolant and engine ice transfer LESS heat away from your engine than water does - they just raise the boiling point really high. Now your engine isn't steaming anymore, but it's running at 280+ degrees. Paperclip in the fuse holder.

- 230 degrees coolant temp is a safe upper limit for engine temps, no harm no foul.

- 250 degrees halves the life of lubricating oils every time you touch that temp- ie your ktm 15 hour service interval is now 7.5 hours. Do it again and now it's 3.75 hours. You better be running synthetic oil, because if your coolant temp is 250 your internal engine temps will be much higher.

- 280 degrees coolant temp is bad. Shit starts to fail. Oil breaks down, even the good stuff. Sensors and other electronics get angry. Ask anyone who has had a stator or coil pickup fail on them what coolant they are running.

In conclusion:

- Run 25pct to 50pct coolant, but no more than 50pct. 25pct is just for lubrication and cold winter mornings.
- Straight water + water wetter IS the most efficient at transferring heat, but water wetter does not lubricate as well as coolant.

All very informing as usual from mcgifer, the only problem I have is on difficult switch backs I’m not going to stop until I’m at the top. Clean one included . Evans will get me to 405f degrees . I guess I’ll change my oil at 1.5hrs ??

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Jimmy boy said:

All very informing as usual from mcgifer, the only problem I have is on difficult switch backs I’m not going to stop until I’m at the top. Clean one included . Evans will get me to 405f degrees . I guess I’ll change my oil at 1.5hrs ??

Evans works about the same as straight antifreeze. Been running straight antifreeze for 25+ years. No harm no foul. 387 degree boiling point for your getting out of being trapped convenience. No electronic parts or seals or anything going bad. The built 480cc WR450 must have 200, miles on her that way. ?

Your suppose to change the oil? You mean grease. ? That she does a lot of and uses Mobil 1 car oil. ?

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

1 hour ago, mitchb said:

You can either:

Or:

In conclusion:

Huge waste of bandwidth. What is wrong with you?

ill simplify it with more clinical terms. 

1. You don’t need weight you don’t need.

2. Steam is water, water is weight.

3. If your pussy ass can’t ride the bike it gets hot, lighter bike is easy to ride.  

4. Easier bike to ride, more air flow.

• Helpful 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, World Famous bigbob said:

Watched an interview with General Mattis on cbs morning today. Huge book collection. So smart and able to politically say he disagrees so smooth. I wish I was 20% as smart and smooth as him

What’s this got to do with the discussion at hand?  

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, mitchb said:

You can either:

Or:

In conclusion:

I can never argue with mitch. 

1 hour ago, Big Fat Dick said:

Huge waste of bandwidth. What is wrong with you?

ill simplify it with more clinical terms. 

1. You don’t need weight you don’t need.

2. Steam is water, water is weight.

3. If your pussy ass can’t ride the bike it gets hot, lighter bike is easy to ride.  

4. Easier bike to ride, more air flow.

Simple science.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, SteveThe Snakes said:

Well they make a green Monster energy that you can put in her. That might booster up so she can get out of the parking area without puking out. ?

This is for a ktm so I'd have to see what radbulls got for me.

An added bonus would be if I get thirsty out in the sticks I could just drink my coolant.

yea, that would be cool...

overkill

OVERKILL

That dude always makes me wanna bust out the double bass drum kit, And lay down some double kick grooves untill my legs fall off.1800429_822582327762433_4668906992985492882_n.jpg.69452d28999f190787674f3104ba7592.jpg

This is my dw collectors kit with zildjian a's & k's. The silver stallion. It spends most of its time on a shelf these day. I need to play more.

That dude and the rev. FTW

friggin awsome...

Heres my crappy little vdrum kit thats always setup ready to go.

984023_717005498320117_1854572920_n.jpg

growing up my older brother had a chrome double bass tama kit at my moms house, I would mess with it every chance I got. My heart sank when he sold it, same with his primer grey 1960's split window vw bus. I made out with my first chick in that thing down off pch and goldenwest.

Edited by surfer-dude
  • Like 1

Hey guys, thanks for taking me school about this. 

Snakes cool, Imma try and be like snake.

When I go out later to get some survival supplies for the ditch day campout, Imma see what I can find to r&r rodneys way cool coolant.

On a bummer note, My ladies grandpa's chips got cashed in last night, so our labor day plans changed. So now we're gonna go do some family gathering stuff, but ditch-day is still on.

16 minutes ago, surfer-dude said:

That dude always makes me wanna bust out the double bass drum kit, And lay down some double kick grooves untill my legs fall off.

friggin awsome...

I saw Johnny tempesta  playing drums for testament in downtown LA. Blew me away. Probably one of my favorite live performances for metal drumming I've ever seen. Everyone I was with kept talking about how awesome the drummer was. Most of them didn't even know who testament is. They opened for Anthrax, which is my favorite.

• Like 1

I saw Johnny tempesta  playing drums for testament in downtown LA. Blew me away. Probably one of my favorite live performances for metal drumming I've ever seen. Everyone I was with kept talking about how awesome the drummer was. Most of them didn't even know who testament is. They opened for Anthrax, which is my favorite.

yea, practice what you preach.

Thats badassery

To be honest I'd rather play drums than play guitar.

Edited by surfer-dude

1 hour ago, surfer-dude said:

That dude always makes me wanna bust out the double bass drum kit, And lay down some double kick grooves untill my legs fall off.1800429_822582327762433_4668906992985492882_n.jpg.69452d28999f190787674f3104ba7592.jpg

This is my dw collectors kit with zildjian a's & k's. It spends most of its time on a shelf these day. I need to play more.

friggin awsome...

growing up my older brother had a chrome double bass tama kit at my moms house, I would mess with it every chance I got. My heart sank when he sold it, same with his primer grey 1960's split window vw bus. I made out with my first chick in that thing down off pch and goldenwest.

Nice equipment. dw drums are the best. I built my own kit from Keller maple, finished it a couple years ago. I'm a die hard single kick player. After all the years of playing drums and dealing with musician types, I don't even have much interest in playing the dream kit I built. Ironic. 

I switched to playing bass while I was on hiatus from dirt biking. I always wanted to play bass anyways. I wish I would've just played bass to begin with. I set up a crazy pedal board, I want to get into loops. Killer bass rig in that pic too. Ampeg svt and I think that's an Ernie ball stingray.

Edited by TheW0LF
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, TheW0LF said:
Nice equipment. dw drums are the best. I built my own kit from Keller maple, finished it a couple years ago. I'm a die hard single kick player. After all the years of playing drums and dealing with musician types, I don't even have much interest in playing the dream kit I built. Ironic. 

I switched to playing bass while I was on hiatus from dirt biking. I always wanted to play bass anyways. I wish I would've just played bass to begin with. I set up a crazy pedal board, I want to get into loops. Killer bass rig in that pic too. Among svt and I think that's an Ernie ball stingray.

Yeah dude, musicians are the worst. But we should jam, I'm into loops and pretty much everything I can think of, no limits...

A couple days ago one of the guys I used to jam with and been in giggity bands with stopped by and asked me to play guitar in his slipknot tribute called duality. First of all I don’t do tributes or cover bands and he knew this, but he asked anyways. So when I said no, he asked me if I would at least record them and I was like "hasn’t slipknot already been recorded". I said maybe if you pay me, But I don't think I want to even if they're paying. I'd rather pay myself not to have to deal with that nonsense.

Lmao...

But yea i sold that bass rig cuz it became more than i needed for my little recording studio. I suck at bass, cuz i play it like a guitar player would. Sometimes i get a good groove but i’m not a bass player. I’m pretty good at guitar so i just stick to that. Yea that was a mia eb stinger. It had a weird crackle that messed up the recordings, but It was built damn tuff so I shoulda kept it and just worked on it. oh well... Theres a couple of cool stingrays at a&v pawnshop that I been eying, they also got a nice martin singlecut thats looking pretty good too. 

Now for recording i use this along with some cool pedals and it usually sounds good:

984023_717005498320117_1854572920_n.thumb.jpg.0dcd4fd9f8e57a00bc33cd6c49ecae9a.jpg

Bass into pedals into vt bass into dbx 160a into protools. it usually sounds pretty great thru monitors or into recordings. 

We usually use one of these basses unless somebody brought along something better.

1983 fender usa jazz bass that i use for everything 420-440 std

And my earley 90’s gibson thunderbird that i use for all the heavy down-tuned murderface type shtuff. I also got the black explorer and flying v to go with it. I like the sound of the thunderbird better, but it's a pain setting up for different tunings so I just keep a couple basses around to keep the bases covered. lol...

Last month i recorded a few of my friends 12-string stuffs and we layered all kinds of stuff on top of it, but i never set up the acoustic drums. He was happy i guess. but I wanted to record some live drums and not use sampled v drums played live.

I came up with this killer stereo large diaphram condensor mic and ribbon room mic setup that sounded pretty awsome for that 12 string. I can record close mic'd double kick deathmetal style drums here in my office. It just takes a little time to set it all up and engineer the mics to sound right.

Hahaha

We way off topic now.

See this is how you be bad i guess.

Time to fire up the kitchen and make some of my world unfamous ommelettes for my fam bam.

I’ll even cook breakfast for you guys if you bring enough ingrediazzles. And we’re way out.

I like to cook good clean food too.

Edited by surfer-dude

OK...  I get it...  @Horse Stick takes the coolant reservoir off his truck and cars cause he's too &%$#@!ing badass to have them on there.  Must have been a stupid idea and a waste of space in the first place.  He just drives faster than me up the grades.  Cool...  He's my idol.  

Dumbass ! ?

@mitchb The radiator cap is the fuse...  and the reservoir is the paper clip for a few minutes...  then when you are out of the danger zone it reverts back to a fuse all on it's own.  How cool is that.

• Like 2