CGMACIAS

XR650L Xr650l Rebuild Update

I took on the challege of rebuilding my own engine after crankshaft broke on my xr650l.

The bike currently has super high compression and the engine turns slowly only when the sparkplug is on.

I now know that i had forgotten to place on the plunger and spring under camshaft. So i took apart and placed it back in. 

It still has the same problem.

It wont turn on, spark is strong without the sparkplug and weak when i place the plug in.  

I also just found out that the bottom end is from a 1994 xr650l and the heads are from an 2005 xr650l.

Could me rebuilding the bottom starter gear like a 2005 and not the 1994 be the problem? Or is my camshaft decompression installed incorrectly?

Any help is appreciated. 

No issues with the mismatched engine components. The bike should start even without the auto decompressor.  Itll turn over slowley but will fire. Is the battery good and fully charged?  And what is the compression ratio?

Edited by baldy110
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, baldy110 said:

No issues with the mismatched engine components. The bike should start even without the auto decompressor.  Itll turn over slowley but will fire. Is the battery good and fully charged?  And what is the compression ratio?

Solved, it turns out i had the valves adjusted improperly and exhaust tailpipe was clogged with mice debree. My bike is back on the road! Thank you all! 👍👍👍

• Like 1