Anybody know about motofab and 325 kits?

Looking at getting a lightly used yz250 with the ESR 325 kit, inside of a yz250f frame with custom frame mounts. Anybody have experience with Motofab and the ESR 325 kit?

My biggest concern is because the engine wasn't built for the frame and all the mounts and ignition cover are custom fabricated, it's gonna be very difficult to get certain parts for. What do you all think?

If it only has a few custom mods, those will be "possibly" difficult. The engine being a YZ250 2 stroke with a ESR 325 kit are all simple and readily available. Being the long weekend in US I would wait and talk to motofab if you are worried about the custom bits, or talk to the owner about where it all came from. 

BUY IT NOW!!!

Before to many people learn about it! This would be the Ultimate 2-Stroke ESR 325, outside of having an Electric Start. Motofab was a crossover from Racing Trucks/Cars, but any Small Machinist Shop could probably make a part you might need 5-9 years form 2019.

I have the Standard 325 Kit, most awesome Bike I have Ridden!

------------------------Yamaha YZ Eddie Sanders Racing (ESR) 325 Build (2007)-------------------------------

Purpose - Motocross and Off Road rider – Intermediate Level

-Eddie Sanders Racing (ESR 325 - S7 (Woods Porting), Race Gas Dome (use 50 Pump/50 Race Fuel) ($900)

-No - Fly Wheel Weight - None

-Race Tech Suspension ($600) (Came with the bike when I bought it used)

-Moto Tassinari Reed Valve ($250)

-Rekluse Clutch - Core EXP 2.0 ($900)

-ESR  Expansion Chamber ($230)

-FMF Q Silencer ($100)

-Vortex Ignition ($250) (Came with the bike when I bought it used)

-Dunlop MX 3S 90/21 Front, MX 33 Rear - 120/19

-TU-BLISS -Traction Control System ($200 Total)

-Geared 14 – 48 (Renthal Twin Ring)

-Jetting 165 Main, 42 Pilot (Works in 500” to 4,000’ Altitude)

$3,500 Used 2007 YZ 250 plus $3,450 = $6,950

Big ESR 325 News!!!!

ESR just sponsored Mike Alessi for the Monster Energy Race in Las Vegas, with it's New Cylinder called "Capturing Efficiency Optimized" (CEO) 325 Kit that place 2nd. at the World 2-Stroke Championships!

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/Alessi-2-stroke-mec,1364661

https://www.eddie-sanders-racing.com/category-s/126.htm

https://dirtbikemagazine.com/two-stroke-tuesday-motofab-industries-yz345/

IMG_20181202_095115702_HDR.jpg.c5959243c83a0427a89b6081a38e9661.jpg

Edited by SDTony 325
  • Like 1

what could possibly be worrying? Yamaha frame, Yamaha/ESR engine, parts all over the place. Alessi running one at the ME SX.  Buy away.

Not sure why SDTony felt the need to list every part of his bike..... but I would be leary of the YZ250F frame. I haven’t seen any reviews of the handling of this combination and I assume I’m in the larger group. For resale I think that a lot of people shy away from this much customization. If it came with the original rolling frame I’d do that, but otherwise no.

41 minutes ago, Familyman6000 said:

Not sure why SDTony felt the need to list every part of his bike..... but I would be leary of the YZ250F frame. I haven’t seen any reviews of the handling of this combination and I assume I’m in the larger group. For resale I think that a lot of people shy away from this much customization. If it came with the original rolling frame I’d do that, but otherwise no.

Because he eats, breaths, and sleeps with it. ?

• Haha 1

what could possibly be worrying? Yamaha frame, Yamaha/ESR engine, parts all over the place. Alessi running one at the ME SX.  Buy away.
Well the engine mounts are custom and I doubt I'll have an issue there but there is also a custom transmission in it (first 2 gears from yz250 then the rest are from various bikes) and with all that customization I was wondering if there's anything specifically I needed to look out for? I've never owned a Yamaha so I don't know what to expect. Sounds like the top end is common so that's good. All I really have to do to it is put some handguard flags on it, tubliss in the rear, and maybe a spark arrestor. Otherwise it seems well thought out. I just wanna make sure I'm not missing something that will make fixing this thing a pita!

Huh good point. Do you think it would handle fundamentally different than if it had a 4t engine in there? I guess it would change the bike center of gravity at the least. Yeah, unsure why they went the route of using a 4t frame, I assume it afforded more room?

3 minutes ago, Ew83 said:

Well the engine mounts are custom and I doubt I'll have an issue there but there is also a custom transmission in it (first 2 gears from yz250 then the rest are from various bikes) and with all that customization I was wondering if there's anything specifically I needed to look out for? I've never owned a Yamaha so I don't know what to expect. Sounds like the top end is common so that's good. All I really have to do to it is put some handguard flags on it, tubliss in the rear, and maybe a spark arrestor. Otherwise it seems well thought out. I just wanna make sure I'm not missing something that will make fixing this thing a pita!

probably WR gears, pretty well known conversion, all Yamaha parts. If the mounts are professionally done, look good, etc., I wouldn't sweat it. There have been a few of these conversions over the years. Sounds like a pretty cool bike to me. Pix if you get it.

9 hours ago, Ew83 said:
On 9/1/2019 at 3:59 PM, Familyman6000 said:

Huh good point. Do you think it would handle fundamentally different than if it had a 4t engine in there? I guess it would change the bike center of gravity at the least. Yeah, unsure why they went the route of using a 4t frame, I assume it afforded more room?

8 hours ago, SDTony 325 said:

Maybe one of these? 

YZ_325_2013_Frame.jpg

YZ ESR 325 - F Stroke Frame.jpg

7 hours ago, SDTony 325 said:

DSC_0123-copy.jpg

If it's like these, you'll be fine. Probably a good handling bike. It's not RM handling, but YZ in 2 of 4 are good bikes.

Since there are a few out, I wouldn't worry about it much.

Transmission swap is all Yamaha Parts I would bet as I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SDTony 325 said:

Found a few more. Hey YZDOC, you offer the Conversion since Motofab no longer does, just a thought. 

5a060c49e87e7_MotofabYZ325.jpg.952962be0c95a19beef25d9745506e92.jpg

5a060fde7f91f_YZ250FtoYZ325.jpg.e37ad1f46b8ce6b4cf9477a3e680ae7a.jpg

5a060cab739ae_MotofabYZ325-2.jpg.4dab9cad552afce8c8a57e4ecece2996.jpg

No I wouldn't be interested in lacing a YZ smoker engine into a 4 stroke frame. To much work, with little results IMHO. 

They are a very cool thing but looking at a YZ250F (2014) frame I have the engine out of, and knowing the YZ125 and 250 mounts, like I said, more work, than worth. Nothin wrong with the 2 stroke frame anyway. And you know me, I like Steely over Aluminum. 

I would do it just for the rarity of it and the engineering challenge. I think it would be exceptional. But I do enjoy pain and suffering and had fun in Marine Corps bootcamp thirty something years ago and still look back at it fondly... so maybe you shouldn't listen to my opinion after all...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would do it just for the rarity of it and the engineering challenge. I think it would be exceptional. But I do enjoy pain and suffering and had fun in Marine Corps bootcamp thirty something years ago and still look back at it fondly... so maybe you shouldn't listen to my opinion after all...
I've had my share of bootcamps but I can't say I enjoyed them.

I got more pics of the bike and it looks like some of it was parted out. No longer has flexx bars and the pro circuit pipe was removed for an FMF.

The bike looks a lot like the 4x bike in the photos above. In fact, it has 4x on it so might be same bike. It does not have the headlight though. Same ignition cover. Where the clutch goes in above the ignition cover there is a zip tie, unsure why.

The grips, shift lever, and footpegs all look like way more than 13 hours on them (bike advertised with 13 hrs) and the skid was removed because the seller rode it at the track. Some scrapes on the frame rails below the engine case but no dents.

Also said he had $5k worth of factory connection suspension done, but the forks look standard. IE there is not the brown kashima coat, and no stickers saying factory connection. Also don't know if they are sss forks. The fork dust seals are green leading me to believe they are SKF seals which are good but everything else about them looks normal. I'll send some pics in a bit.

Here are some pics. You can see the red ziptie on the clutch cable housing going into the motor?
36283.jpeg36280.jpeg36310.jpeg36312.jpeg36318.jpeg36325.jpeg36326.jpeg36331.jpeg36334.jpeg

Also, the carb in the above pics is not the carb on the Craigslist ad (the ad looks like a pwk but the one in the pics above has a circular top on it).

I will need to add handguards of some sort, a kickstand, a spark arrestor, tubliss rear, suspension springs for my bodyweight, a rear rotor guard, skid plate (think he may still have this though) and a radiator fan. Most of that stuff I will not budge on because of where and how I ride. The radiator guards look flimsy too so prob new ones of those. I'm starting to lean towards not getting it due to God knows what else was done to this thing in terms of parts being removed and replaced with cheaper stuff. Thoughts?

I wouldn't worry about the zip tie or the carb. Looks like just there for no real reason, and the carb looks like a short body that you can get from JD Jetting.

What would be interesting to know is how many cuts, and/or welds needed to be performed on the frame to make it all work. I am sure motofab knew what they were doing as you can't just cut and weld frames in a garage, as aluminum needs heat treatment to stay in strength with the rest of the frame from when it was made. So if all three engine mounts just have brackets and adapters, there is minimal welds directly to the frame (good thing). Looks like the engine is older, or they put the 99-01 kick start on it. 

How many photos does the guy have on CL? 

If the price is right, then IDK try it, otherwise with all the money saved on a traditional YZ250 or 325, you can do your suspension mods as needed for personal use. 

• Like 1