Sadly on our way up to loon lake, two race bikes came at us, flying around corners, one guy wobbled and I told my wife, that guy was going too fast for his skills and sure enough after kayaking and coming back down the same route we came upon this scene, with life flight in the air above. My wife walked down to the scene, while I helped another guy warn traffic to slow down to stop.

My wife came back up the hill and the flight flight helo took-off empty. The guy, a Harley rider, was dead. He took the corner too fast and swung wide to the opposite on coming truck.  He probably hit the brakes high or low slided and went crashing under an oncoming truck. They had to jack up the truck to get him out. motorcycle wreckage all over my wife said.  Fire rescue truck was first on the scene and was giving him cpr when my wife saw they gave up. about 8 other Harley type riders standing around.  It was their friend. Sad scene

No thrill to post this, PLEASE teach young riders to take corners slow and within their skills . Too many have died swinging wide going too fast . I knew a HS kid who did that and hit a wall. Sorry for the bad news IMG_3642.thumb.JPG.71d89b8978400eebf7655021a9362138.JPG

Edited by World Famous bigbob
  • Sad 5

As a guy who lives in the exact area you saw this, I can't tell you how many times I have had to avoid guys hanging over the yellow line or completely in my lane. It's always Harley riders and they should all send thank you cards to every resident up here for avoiding their dumb asses every weekend every summer. Thanks to us who know it is flatlander chicken season, we don't see this every weekend.

• Like 7

17 hours ago, JefeRotacion said:

Please don't let your friends buy a bike that physically negates their ability to tighten a line when faced with an unexpected decrease in radius. Apehangers and floorboards are killers.

Bought a Harley last year. Ride it once for 100 miles, and parked it cuz it rode like a overfilled hot tub. Sold it yesterday to a “Harley Dude” and his son. The son nearly crashed it as he rode it away through the parking lot. I think they were headed to the nearest bar...

👎

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I was up there a couple years ago on my Berg and pulled off at Stumpy Meadows Resv. for a sec. I started talking to this couple on a Harley and they had just lost a close friend on Wentworth Springs who wrecked on his Harley a couple weeks prior. They didn't get into details but I think they were planning on putting some kind of memorial at the location.       

I can see how that road would be fun on maybe an adventure bike or something and there are certain sections where you can open it up. I can also see how it would be easy for someone to get going too fast and misjudge a turn and go into the other lane. With all the logging trucks that use that road not to mention the cars too, you've got to use good judgement.  Sad story. 

• Like 1

My buddy and I rented a couple big ass Harleys in Reno about 15 years ago.  We rode around Lake Tahoe.

I never felt so unsafe on a bike in my life.  Shitty brakes, heavy, under powered and no lean angle.

• Like 2

Gravel roads are our nightmare for the dumb, foolish or inexperienced...

Start noticing how many skid marks you see, especially in down hill left hand turns on the forest service roads. 

it's quite ok to RACE on a one way track. To RACE on a two lane road is disrespecting nature ( meaning shit happens and you can wreck)  and disrespecting the safety and lives in the traffic coming the other way.  I don't care how good your "skills " are, I see this kinda of stupid all the time in our foothills

john-cleese.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, World Famous bigbob said:

it's quite ok to RACE on a one way track. To RACE on a two lane road is disrespecting nature ( meaning shit happens and you can wreck)  and disrespecting the safety and lives in the traffic coming the other way.  I don't care how good your "skills " are, I see this kinda of stupid all the time in our foothills

john-cleese.gif

Welcome to old Bob. It's ok, I agree with you until I do something stupid (in hindsight) but fun at the time! I'm pretty sure most of us have gotten a little jiggy with it on a public road at some point. Doesn't make it right, but at least I'm honest about it. :busted:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TigerTanker said:

Gravel roads are our nightmare for the dumb, foolish or inexperienced...

Start noticing how many skid marks you see, especially in down hill left hand turns on the forest service roads. 

Shoot I’ve got more skid marks in my shorts than you’ll ever see on the road. 😬

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Welcome to old Bob. It's ok, I agree with you until I do something stupid (in hindsight) but fun at the time! I'm pretty sure most of us have gotten a little jiggy with it on a public road at some point. Doesn't make it right, but at least I'm honest about it. :busted:
I put in 900 miles over the weekend, I only addressed 2 really shitty acts of riding aggression in my prayers for forgiveness. That's a pretty good ratio for me.
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, JefeRotacion said:
20 hours ago, Bryan Bosch said:

I put in 900 miles over the weekend, I only addressed 2 really shitty acts of riding aggression in my prayers for forgiveness. That's a pretty good ratio for me.

In a day/age of virtue signaling that typical isn't consistent with each of our realities, thanks for being honest. One of the reasons that I stopped riding a supermoto bike that I had was the constant temptation to ride like a knucklehead on the street. SO hard not too!

• Like 3

I've done weekends at the Dragon in Tn/NC. Every day, someone went off the edge. Giant sport bikes or Harleys. I was behind a few fools when they crashed. Crossing the double yellow, locking up brakes, over reacting and target fixaton. Never a question  of 'if' but 'when'.

I have plenty of people want to race me. I let them beat me. What nasty skin I have left, I want to keep. Ride within your limitations. Do not crash where you may involve and innocent person. You do not have that right.

There is a motorcycle insurance commercial here. A guys tells his wife that his crash is not covered because he crashed and never hit anything. The wife incredulously says "Haven't they ever ridden a bike, if car pulls out and you skid, you will crash to not collide'. IDK, I do not crash when on the brakes hard, even if a tire locks. I also keep situatinal awareness and EXPECT cars to cut me off. 45 years of street riding and I never ever came close.

• Like 4

I've done weekends at the Dragon in Tn/NC. Every day, someone went off the edge. Giant sport bikes or Harleys. I was behind a few fools when they crashed. Crossing the double yellow, locking up brakes, over reacting and target fixaton. Never a question  of 'if' but 'when'.
I have plenty of people want to race me. I let them beat me. What nasty skin I have left, I want to keep. Ride within your limitations. Do not crash where you may involve and innocent person. You do not have that right.
There is a motorcycle insurance commercial here. A guys tells his wife that his crash is not covered because he crashed and never hit anything. The wife incredulously says "Haven't they ever ridden a bike, if car pulls out and you skid, you will crash to not collide'. IDK, I do not crash when on the brakes hard, even if a tire locks. I also keep situatinal awareness and EXPECT cars to cut me off. 45 years of street riding and I never ever came close.
I got hit this weekend, lady backed out in front of me facing my direction of travel, then didn't move for a 3 count and was clearly looking down at her phone so i swerved around her on the left. As i got abreast of her, she decided she was facing the wrong way and began an illegal u turn, i swerved hard around the front of her car and caught the bumper on my saddlebag. Didn't upset me, i just kept on down the road. Another lady tried to run me over last week while on her phone, she did make me mad, she drifted across a whole lane without looking up until i honked at her as i squirted out of the way. Totally oblivious, she wasn't even trying to change lanes, she was just completely absorbed in her Facebook post.
  • Like 5

22 minutes ago, JefeRotacion said:
29 minutes ago, William1 said:

Read more  

I got hit this weekend, lady backed out in front of me facing my direction of travel, then didn't move for a 3 count and was clearly looking down at her phone so i swerved around her on the left. As i got abreast of her, she decided she was facing the wrong way and began an illegal u turn, i swerved hard around the front of her car and caught the bumper on my saddlebag. Didn't upset me, i just kept on down the road. Another lady tried to run me over last week while on her phone, she did make me mad, she drifted across a whole lane without looking up until i honked at her as i squirted out of the way. Totally oblivious, she wasn't even trying to change lanes, she was just completely absorbed in her Facebook post.

We get a lot of crossing the double yellows here. Almost once a week I have an oncoming vehicle 50% in my lane. I usually pull off the road, honk and flash lights. Rarely does the ahole acknowledge they nearly killed me had I not been defensive. The worst part is, thee same people have done it to me several times. Eventually, two of these clods will meet and it will be fatal. In a fifty mile radius, we have a couple of these crashes every week. The kicker here is people are up in arms about 'the opiod crisis' yet when pressed, there are no fatalities. Why the hell don't they make a bigger deal of distracted and careless driving? I am fine with an idiot crashing into a tree, I am no so fine with them head on into me on a straight road with a mile of visibility.

• Like 4