Tltaylor1

Hi-Vis wear

After almost getting rear ended and pulled out in front of, this weekend alone, I've had it. Got a hi vis vest that road construction workers use and a hi vis jacket when it gets a little chilly. I don't care if I look like a dork, I want to live. Thoughts on hi vis wear? Daytime running lights and a bright red bike with bright red helmet must not be enough.

Thanks

Some states allow flashing white forward facing lights on bikes........... check you DMV.

You can get flashing red light brake relays as well for the rear................... they will both get attention......................

VERY popular on Florida road bikes................... as the sun makes things even worse....................

bright as hell ..........sun flashing off everything that reflects light .................... everyone has sunglasses on.......... PLUS tinted windows.

"I never saw them coming"............. we hear it ALL the time

15 minutes ago, EarthCruzn said:

Some states allow flashing white forward facing lights on bikes........... check you DMV.

You can get flashing red light brake relays as well for the rear................... they will both get attention......................

VERY popular on Florida road bikes................... as the sun makes things even worse....................

bright as hell ..........sun flashing off everything that reflects light .................... everyone has sunglasses on.......... PLUS tinted windows.

"I never saw them coming"............. we hear it ALL the time

I oscillate my low/high beam headlight switch when I feel like I need more viz, such as someone turning left in front of me on a country road. Of course, the auto units are more effective and convenient. It helps to keep your speed down and always assuming that NOBODY sees you. Even at stoplights, I always check my rear views as soon as the light turns red and never, ever stop squarely behind the vehicle in front of you, keeping an escape path. I think the #1 threat is damn cell phone usage when driving. I see that so much in Tampa and it boils my blood.

• Like 1

Its even a law now ............NOT to use the phone................ with your hands OR text PERIOD................. they still do it.....

People have gotten so use to the phone they really think its OK..............

It needs to come to a stop...................we have the technology ...........its already built into most phones...................we need to USE IT.

More people are killed or injured by cell phones than they will admit...............................I work in the EMS FIRE biz...........................