RK Tech on a 200rr

7 minutes ago, Beta300recat said:

Yes, but only to a point.

Once the band becomes too narrow, more heat is lost to the head and piston than is gained in power AND top end will also suffer.

Certainly. 

Engineering is not black and white but everything in between. 

?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dirtbird said:

Certainly. 

Engineering is not black and white but everything in between. 

?

Physics is black and white.  Engineering is the art of trying to determine what that physics really is. :cheers:

When one goes about turning carbon into CO2 to create mechanical energy from chemical energy, adding the first bond creates 40% of the energy. All these primary bonds are made before the secondary bond.

Going from CO to CO2 is 60% of the energy. This is why running rich drops the combustion temperate so quickly. ?

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, firffighter said:

Awesome. Looking forward to your impressions. 

Do you have a plan on jetting? Did Kel's have a suggestion? 

He said it should be very close to stock jetting, ive heard they like to be ran a little rich(on the 300s at least). My bike is a little on the rich side so i should be close. He did say it will respond better to jetting changes now though.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, djl2014 said:

Let us know if it increases the low end torque. My ‘06 KTM 200 always needed to be on the pipe, but I’m about 225lbs with gear and water.

It has unreal torque stock the 200 rr luggs. Im around 235 no gear and the guy who had a 200 rr that I test rode is around 270 no gear. I was riding my 300 rr with an RK head that luggs better than stock . That stock 200 rr with a 14 countersprocket has unreal lugging power for a 200. With an RK head it ought to be pretty awesome.  It’s awesome stock. 

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, djl2014 said:

Let us know if it increases the low end torque. My ‘06 KTM 200 always needed to be on the pipe, but I’m about 225lbs with gear and water.

Will do! It does have a surprising amount of low end as it is. Im just 150-160 all geared up but I rarely ride it on the pipe.

• Like 1

So is everyone basically running the normal Prestone 50/50 coolant (Green) or do I need something special??
Yes, I have that right now or Peak. Anything that is motorcycle approved for modern engines and doesn't have the bad stuff in it. I still have my thermostat on my 2013 and no leak issues also never had an issue with any leaks on the 200. I think many people get coolant out the overflow tube and think it is a leak from filling to the brim.
  • Like 1

On 9/28/2019 at 2:25 AM, dirtbird said:

Higher compression increase volumetric efficiency of an engine. 

Not to pick nits here, but a higher compression 2-stroke head has no impact on volumetric efficiency.  Unlike a 4-stroke head, no air flows through a 2-stroke head.  The volumetric efficiency stays exactly the same.  To say the same thing a different way, regardless of what head you put on a two-stroke, how efficiently the cylinder is filled and emptied stays the same.  The intake charge will be exactly same same between heads.  

What does change is the thermal efficiency.  Higher compression and improved squish band result in a larger amount of heat energy generated and turned into mechanical energy on each power stroke.  

Doc

• Like 2