Jump to content
Burger72

Beta2Stroke RK Tech on a 200rr

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Dogs Bollocks said:

No, want one though. Always have the doubt of if i should buy a 250 instead but they seem to be more than i want. 200 i think is perfect for the bike i want.

Ive demo ridden a 200 rr side by side with my 300 rr. Both feel excellent. A 250 would too with slight variation as well. A 200 rr is excellent. Im lurking / watching / listening to what’s up here so if I get a 200 so I have an idea of where guys are on setup. The demo I rode was good as it was though. I think it only had lower gearing but don’t know.  What I have is great. The only other bike I could possibly want to get is a 200 rr. There’s nothing else out there that looks appealing to me .   It gets kind of ridiculous I think. I mean I’d want one of each bike almost . It’s just how do you feel on a certain day and then it’s how much money and time and area to keep bikes makes sense ..I’d like a certain 430 race edition  a friend owns too.. but I. have a 350 and a 525.. :bonk:  .  Retarded... but if a deal on a 200 came up I think I’d still jump on it. I should be saving money instead. 
 

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

update: after ride with the n8rg today @70 degrees (last ride was 40)...........no good bike felt very anemic off the bottom...much like the JD needles.  I think the NEDW even felt better.  I'm going to remove the head and go back to stock jetting just to reset myself.  I've tried so many different combinations and in my head I think stock was best.  I need to go back there just to make sure I'm not losing my mind.

  • Like 6
  • Helpful 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Dogs Bollocks said:

No, want one though. Always have the doubt of if i should buy a 250 instead but they seem to be more than i want. 200 i think is perfect for the bike i want.

200 is more fun to ride and better in singletrack. I can't say if its "better" or not, since everyone has their own preferences. If you are a guy that likes small bores but wants more torque down low, its the bike. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/29/2020 at 3:39 PM, firffighter said:

Just curious as to what changed as last year you seem pretty pleased with JD results and the bike looked like it was pulling very well.  

 

You are very thorough with your attention to details on your bike's performance,  so love to hear your thoughts.  

Looking back, this was when the 200rr was pretty new to me and I was happy with the power, but looking for less spooge and better mileage.  The JD kit provided that with a "clean" revving motor.  However, the torque was just not the same.  I ran the JD jetting for a bit and then went back to stock because I felt the overall power was better for me even if it used more fuel and drooled spooge. 

  • Helpful 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cut 3" off the long can and repack it.  It will not be any louder, will not affect the power, and will eliminate or greatly reduce spooge with the same jetting.  

This weather has got to be the absolute worst time to try and dial in jetting, especially if you are working with completely different  needle families.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Primal Enduro said:

Looking back, this was when the 200rr was pretty new to me and I was happy with the power, but looking for less spooge and better mileage.  The JD kit provided that with a "clean" revving motor.  However, the torque was just not the same.  I ran the JD jetting for a bit and then went back to stock because I felt the overall power was better for me even if it used more fuel and drooled spooge. 

Frick spooge. It’s if the bike works best. That’s all. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, GP said:

Cut 3" off the long can and repack it.  It will not be any louder, will not affect the power, and will eliminate or greatly reduce spooge with the same jetting.  

This weather has got to be the absolute worst time to try and dial in jetting, especially if you are working with completely different  needle families.  

 

Agreed about the weather, and I hate jetting to begin with.  But honestly I don't remember the stock head and jetting being so sensitive.  It just seemed to work in just about any temp.  I've got her all back to stock and will test later today. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup. Going back to stock seems like a good idea so you can confirm it indeed ran fine before. From what i can tell, most people with rk tech head just need to richen jetting a bit: needle pos or needle pos + pilot jet. You shouldnt have tk make so many tweaks. I would also ignore spooge as long as the bike runs fine. Good luck and thanks for sharing your updates. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Primal Enduro said:

But honestly I don't remember the stock head and jetting being so sensitive. 

This was definitely my experience with the RK Tek head on my 300rr. Same for my brother and his 250rr and RK Tek head.  

Both took a lot of tweaking to jet well. As you said, it's far more sensitive than stock. 

Great once dialed,  but can take a lot of work to get there.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/5/2020 at 9:31 PM, Primal Enduro said:

update: after ride with the n8rg today @70 degrees (last ride was 40)...........no good bike felt very anemic off the bottom...much like the JD needles.  I think the NEDW even felt better.  I'm going to remove the head and go back to stock jetting just to reset myself.  I've tried so many different combinations and in my head I think stock was best.  I need to go back there just to make sure I'm not losing my mind.

Yep, bike runs great...I'm not loosing my mind after all!

  • Like 2
  • Helpful 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Primal Enduro said:

Yep, bike runs great...I'm not loosing my mind after all!

What is the jetting now (with stock head)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ktm450cl said:

What is the jetting now (with stock head)?

N1EI 3rd, 165m 45pilot AS 1.25  1000' ASL temp was 70 degrees this weekend.

Edited by Primal Enduro
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks for the feedback, glad i skipped testing the N8RG...

for Friday's ride (60-65 degree temps) i went back to JD Blue, 4th pos, 40p, 175m, AS 1.5 (added a brass JD air screw), bike ran fantastic, MUCH cleaner ... snappy power in the switchbacks, no knock, plenty of grunt lugging up hills ... i felt like it could use a hair more fuel above 1/2 throttle so i'll try a 178m next but i'm really happy with how the bike ran ... in the end, it would make sense that all i needed with the RK head was a bump to the pilot for how i ride.

i'm still curious about the JD needle feeling softer to the stock N1EI so i'll try one more time with 48p/168m, the 50p was too much.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, typeone said:

thanks for the feedback, glad i skipped testing the N8RG...

for Friday's ride (60-65 degree temps) i went back to JD Blue, 4th pos, 40p, 175m, AS 1.5 (added a brass JD air screw), bike ran fantastic, MUCH cleaner ... snappy power in the switchbacks, no knock, plenty of grunt lugging up hills ... i felt like it could use a hair more fuel above 1/2 throttle so i'll try a 178m next but i'm really happy with how the bike ran ... in the end, it would make sense that all i needed with the RK head was a bump to the pilot for how i ride.

i'm still curious about the JD needle feeling softer to the stock N1EI so i'll try one more time with 48p/168m, the 50p was too much.

With the jd needle in my 300, you can use his published pilot even at 37F without any issue. What does jd recommend pilot wise for the 200? With the Suzuki Needles I need either a 40 or 42 when it’s that cold out. Jd only needs 38 in a 300 when cold at sea level. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, shrubitup said:

With the jd needle in my 300, you can use his published pilot even at 37F without any issue. What does jd recommend pilot wise for the 200? With the Suzuki Needles I need either a 40 or 42 when it’s that cold out. Jd only needs 38 in a 300 when cold at sea level. 

yup, that was the same experience for my 250 regarding 38p and wide working range. that experience was the reason i threw another kit at the 200. JD recommends same 38 pilot for the 200.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, typeone said:

yup, that was the same experience for my 250 regarding 38p and wide working range. that experience was the reason i threw another kit at the 200. JD recommends same 38 pilot for the 200.

I see; thought you were doing 48 with jd.... :D 

you won’t miss anything with the n8rg. Love my jd needles...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, shrubitup said:

I see; thought you were doing 48 with jd.... :D 

you won’t miss anything with the n8rg. Love my jd needles...

no, sorry, 48/168 with stock needle is what i'm still curious to test as a 1/2 throttle -> up power comparison.

JD had me try 5th clip pos with 38p/175m but the bike was soggy throughout ... that's why i went back to 4th clip and bumped 38p to 40p, which worked great.

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, typeone said:

no, sorry, 48/168 with stock needle is what i'm still curious to test as a 1/2 throttle -> up power comparison.

JD had me try 5th clip pos with 38p/175m but the bike was soggy throughout ... that's why i went back to 4th clip and bumped 38p to 40p, which worked great.

At some point, once you have the jetting where you are happy, it might make sense to go back to stock head and jetting you had before so you get a true feel for what the head is doing. Just a suggestion, i really appreciate you posting all the results here to help everyone out.

  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did a back to back comparison the last 2 weekends between the Suzuki and JD Needles.  For me its not even close.  The JD are noticeably stronger and a lot less sensitive.  Temps where between 38-45, sea level, tight single track with the occasional flow (Walker Valley).  First plug is representing the Suzuki needle, 40 / 170 NEDH 3.  The bike ran lean and you could feel it.  Boggy, down on power and it couldn't be corrected with the air screw.  I ended up packing up and leaving early because of the performance.  The following weekend, same temps, same place, same gas, same basically everything, the plug had a nice light brown color and the bike was an absolute beast.  This was with a 38 / 168 Blue 4. 

What i really like about the JD needles is i can run the same pilot all year, and if at sea level, i just leave the same main in.  Im only changing the needle.  35-50 Blue 4, 50-65 Blue 3, 65-85 Red 4.  The bike is always predictable with linear, instant, strong power.  The low / mid range on the JD needles is noticeably the strongest for me when comparing the stock, Suzuki and JD needles.  And this is important on a 250 at a place like Walker.

Ill note that my head is cut and squish is lowered.  1.8mm down to 1.2mm.  The chamber was not touched so there was a slight compression bump.     

NEDH3.jpg

Blue4.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Helpful 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've raced in wet sand, early March high 30s, south Jersey sea level with those specs and the bike absolutely ripped and was NOT lean.  Weird how yours is.  My 250 has a lot of comp too, enough to give the starter bendix fits.  Just for kicks try some race gas, just a blend even.  I ran a blend of VP T4 I had and pump premium and the bike never ran so good, I mean it always runs good but it ran great.  Maybe your head is cut a bit on the edge for pump gas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×
×
  • Create New...