Burger72

Beta2Stroke RK Tech on a 200rr

1 minute ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

This?

Compression normally raises efficiency, this is a given. 

Running rich lowers your efficiency, this is a given. 

I'd rather run a head that I don't need to run rich so it won't detonate. 

Then I will have both better performance and efficiency. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Ok one more.. didn’t see that one. What was the issue??

He'll chime in perhaps. Dunno specifics.

Gotta say, after my experience I am WAY gun shy related to buying anything bolt on related that promises improvement across so many fronts.

Buddy of mine bought a metering rod carburetor and worked hard with the manufacturer to make the application work correctly for his bike. In the end, it failed, he returned it and received a refund. Adds a glimmer of hope related to bolt on whiz bang mods but I'm still leery.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Beta300recat said:

This thread is about RK heads and a 200 rr. It’s just about how it works and if should try one or not. No ones posted how it works on a 200 yet. Most .. actually almost all who seem to have posted online who have an RK on their bikes give positive reviews . A couple negative reviews. That’s all we are at for now. 

3 minutes ago, shrubitup said:

Gotta say, after my experience I am WAY gun shy related to buying anything bolt on related that promises improvement across so many fronts.

Buddy of mine bought a metering rod carburetor and worked hard with the manufacturer to make the application work correctly for his bike. In the end, it failed, he returned it and received a refund. Adds a glimmer of hope related to bolt on whiz bang mods but I'm still leery.

Betas already come with PWK carbs and it appears that they don't gimp their heads like KTM does.  So although there may be some happy Beta riders with aftermarket / modded heads & alternative carbs, I wouldn't imagine that scene is as relatively common as it is in 2017+ KTM land.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, shrubitup said:

Why are you gun shy? 99% of Dirtbike offroad accessories do not have a warranty. I mean it’s nice and of course way better but theres no warranty with fmf pipes or S3 heads or most every other of aftermarket parts. I never got any warranty with any dirt bike parts for decades. Everyone is on their own. Thats just dirtbikes. That’s why to me it’s pretty amazing that  Beta has an incredibly good warranty for their bikes. I just have been used to zero warranty all these years with dirtbikes and accessories. 

The thing is.. a Beta 300 rr stock is great. Nothing is really needed. It’s guard up and go. Mileage is similar to other carbed 300’s. I think my RK is a good mod and worth the improvement but I really didn’t need to change. It’s for guys wanting longer ride mileage that guys are looking for mods to help there. I was going to buy a 3 gal tank to deal with ride mileage too. My cr 250 honda I had before was a full on gas hog and I had a big tank on that. With the Beta 300 once I adjusted the float level mileage was waaay better. I still thought Id buy a big tank but it’s good enough.  No  need to buy. If you are doing longer mileage rides then that’s something else. 

Shit hit the fan again just as well forget about getting any real feed back just more opinions on why and why not rk makes a good product.

This craps gunna be 10 pages of shit bashing back n forth till someone actually talks about first hand experience with a rk head on a 200

• Helpful 3

34 minutes ago, Beta300recat said:

So what head do you run? So you don’t run rich? What heads do guys run that you feel guys have to run rich? or leaner?? Which ones... Really there are a bunch of variables here that will determine different jetting too. What I did like about the RK was just talking to Kelsey and telling him what I wanted and for sure what I didn’t want in a head. He gave me a variety of options of setups and recommendations. I liked that especially since what he described for performance in the head is what I got. I told him Im a fat older vet hard enduro ex mx riding most of my life rider that rides tech but still races hare scrambles etc.  I for sure wanted my 300 rr to be good and better in gnar but still rip.. I was encouraged as he rides a couple of Beta 300’s that he tests with. 

23 minutes ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Why are you gun shy? 99% of Dirtbike offroad accessories do not have a warranty. I mean it’s nice and of course way better but theres no warranty with fmf pipes or S3 heads or most every other of aftermarket parts. I never got any warranty with any dirt bike parts for decades. Everyone is on their own. Thats just dirtbikes. That’s why to me it’s pretty amazing that  Beta has an incredibly good warranty for their bikes. I just have been used to zero warranty all these years with dirtbikes and accessories. 

The thing is.. a Beta 300 rr stock is great. Nothing is really needed. It’s guard up and go. Mileage is similar to other carbed 300’s. I think my RK is a good mod and worth the improvement but I really didn’t need to change. It’s for guys wanting longer ride mileage that guys are looking for mods to help there. I was going to buy a 3 gal tank to deal with ride mileage too. My cr 250 honda I had before was a full on gas hog and I had a big tank on that. With the Beta 300 once I adjusted the float level mileage was waaay better. I still thought Id buy a big tank but it’s good enough.  No  need to buy. If you are doing longer mileage rides then that’s something else. 

I'd reply but it wouldn't be 200 specific so I'll STFU. :censored:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jmd426 said:

Shit hit the fan again just as well forget about getting any real feed back just more opinions on why and why not rk makes a good product.

This craps gunna be 10 pages of shit bashing back n forth till someone actually talks about first hand experience with a rk head on a 200

You want real feedback? Buy a Beta 200 rr and buy an RK head . Put it on. Ride it and then give us a report. Other than that no one has posted up on their RK head on their 200 rr.  Guys have questioned RK heads though. So it’s only talking about that. Provide us with 200 rr info with RK heads. Then you can tell us. 

Anyone that is buying an RK head for a 200 rr will benefit from anyone else who has bought an RK head for their husky, Beta, ktm, yz gasgas etc. For one thing.. Don’t just order online and not talk to Kelsey. You may be losing out on all that your head could be for better performance you and your type of riding. I would have ordered a different setup that may have been good but Im happier with what I got. 

37 minutes ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

You want real feedback? Buy a Beta 200 rr and buy an RK head . Put it on. Ride it and then give us a report. Other than that no one has posted up on their RK head on their 200 rr.  Guys have questioned RK heads though. So it’s only talking about that. Provide us with 200 rr info with RK heads. Then you can tell us. 

Truly helpful

Telling me absolutely nothing i dont already know

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2

1 hour ago, shrubitup said:

Regarding the RKTek head.  I had discussed my experiences here some time ago.  I'll briefly explain again.  I purchased the RK head directly from Kelsey in May 2018 mentioning that most my riding is above 3,500'.  Prior to the RK head, my 300RR with both the stock head as well the OEM high compression head ran very well with stock jetting and even better with the NECJ needle.  After installing the RK head, the following is a direct quote from my log of the 1st test ride.  "Engine started easily with no choke!!  Seemed very responsive and lively as long as the engine was 'under load'; stuttering no worse than before, however 'pipe banging' was intolerable especially at lower speeds.  The 'Banging' and hesitations were extreme at partial throttle or when backing off the throttle at lower rpm's, i.e. between about 3,000-3,800 rpm.  Same jetting as before."  I played around with the jetting including replacing the stock 38 pilot jet with a #40, new stock  plug, iridium plug, mild or wild ignition, etc, to no avail.  After a lengthy phone conversation with Kelsey I tried his suggested jetting with the N8RG needle.  Excessive 'stuttering' and hesitations were intolerable and way too much; worst ever, especially at constant speeds between 3,200-4,000 rpm.  Excessive spooge the whole length of the muffler and dripping on ground after a 7 mile test run.  After this I had another long, extended discussion with Kelsey and he agreed to send me a new insert designed for sea level.  After going back to the NECJ jetting and with the sea level RK insert the engine ran better than before but still with too much stuttering and sporadic hesitations at neutral or trailing throttle.  Reinstalled the OEM HC head and all was back to normal.

Compression tests:

stock head-175psi / OEM HC head-185psi / sea level (13.4) insert-208psi / 14.1 insert-220+psi.

Note that at TDC the piston top was even the top of the cylinder.       

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

4 hours ago, jmd426 said:

I understand how you feel, I was on the fence awhile before I pulled the trigger and bought the RK-Tec head for my 2013 300RR. I read all the post like I'm sure you and many others have. My problem was the cost of the head without knowing the actual results that would be obtained (they are pricey). I finally just sucked it up and spent the cash just like you will need too.

It's kind of sad that a lot of people are waiting to buy or not buying this head because of some negative post, mean while they are missing out on a great product.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

13 minutes ago, highvolt said:

I understand how you feel, I was on the fence awhile before I pulled the trigger and bought the RK-Tec head for my 2013 300RR. I read all the post like I'm sure you and many others have. My problem was the cost of the head without knowing the actual results that would be obtained (they are pricey). I finally just sucked it up and spent the cash just like you will need too.

It's kind of sad that a lot of people are waiting to buy or not buying this head because of some negative post, mean while they are missing out on a great product.

I wont have the bike till next year, if i had it now i would already have order one, ive been around his products on snowmobiles great stuff.

Just wouldn't mind hearing what people have to say.  In the end this will have no bearing on my decision

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, highvolt said:

Exactly. I listened to everyone else and yea like you I just sucked it up and tried for myself.  I think that’s just what it comes down to. 

9 hours ago, Beta300recat said:

+1

To go back to engineering fundamentals... 

Higher compression increase volumetric efficiency of an engine. 

When testing engine efficiency and consumption in a laboratory environment you measure the engine's sfc (specific fuel consumption) which is measured in litres per KW per hour and you start with steady throttle. So theoretically a head with increased compression ratio and/or more sophisticated design (by the claims of its designer) should improve consumption AND power. But from that point to a dirt bike riding environment, it's clearly a long distance with various other parameters. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

19 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

This thread is about RK heads and a 200 rr.

Well, I guess I'll have to reserve my judgement until it's proven, that like anything else, they cannot defy the laws of physics.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dirtbird said:

Higher compression increase volumetric efficiency of an engine.

Yes, but only to a point.

Once the band becomes too narrow, more heat is lost to the head and piston than is gained in power AND top end will also suffer.

• Helpful 1