Close call with a head on collison

Been in the same situation.  I have been involved in four head ons, the worse resulted in a broken collarbone.  I even had one with an old International Scout.  I was going around a right hand blind curve on a wide dirt road in one of our motorcycle parks (Hungry Valley).  I was to the far right of the road with an incline on my right, going fairly slow.  All of a sudden, here comes an International Scout in a full four wheel drift on my side of the road coming right at me.  My life flashed before my eyes.  I rode to the very edge of the road where it hits the bank and leaned into the bank.  My left handlebar, with full wrap handguards, hit the outside part of his headlight.  The handguard slid down the fender, then hit his rear view mirror, breaking it.  After that we parted.  It’s a miracle I didn’t get hurt.  The guy stops, and the rest of my group rides up.  The guy in the Scout then drives off.  I’m pretty shaken, and the other riders asked what happen, saying the guy in the Scout was cussing me out.  Had I known that, there would have been a confrontation.

2 hours ago, Poldies said:

What state?  Sounds like Michigan?  If it isn’t, same crap here. 

We're in Jackman, Maine. 

• Like 1

It’s a real problem.. I believe looped trails systems should be one way with signage indicating 2 way

Maybe instead of using our ohv dollars paying environmentalist groups to conduct surveys to shut down trails they should use some of those funds to make them safer.. 

Personally I have been riding track more and  more because of how limited, dangerous, and busy the trail systems have become.. I’m talking &%$#@!ing dangerous..

Edited by The Creature
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, BOAB said:

Really?  Looks just like a road from those pictures, even has a crown like most roads and a ditch to the side for water.

I agree USFS assigns #s to roads, all roads....and none that I know of are one-way...out west ALL our dirt roads/trails are considered and are in fact two way road...another thing about the pictures of the near collision...that sight distance is HUGE, somebody was asleep not to see the other rider...lastly both riders seemed to have been crowding the center of the road...

Not casting stones here but this should have been avoided by one or both riders way before it ever got that critical...

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

In the many years that I have been riding dirt, I have had 4 head-on collisions on trails.  One was on a wide dirt jeep road, and the other rider came around the blind turn on my side of the road.  That was a pretty bad one, but nobody was injured enough to go to the hospital.  It did end my riding day, though.  The other 3 were on singletrack trails.  I managed to bail on one of those, before impact, so only my bike got damaged.  The guy that hit me broke his foot.  The other two incidents, I got pretty bruised up, plus bike damage.  I ride pretty cautiously for the most part, and I can tell you that in the singletrack collisions, all of those riders were out to put plenty of distance between them and their buddies that were following.  I try to watch and listen for anybody coming from the other direction, and be alert to make evasive maneuvers.   People should just take it a little easy on public trails where they can't see around the next corner, or over the hill top etc .....

Edited by dirt duchess
  • Like 1

Guys they’re both riding dual sports (I’m pretty sure), that means you have to hold them to street biker standards not dirt bike standards. Those pics might look like a graded and maintained dirt road with plenty of visibility, but thru the “dual sport” lens that’s basically a MX track and a totally blind turn. 

Honestly tho glad you’re not hurt. Out west every single dirt road is two way, only some single track is directional. I personally avoid as much dirt road as possible and only use it to connect, too much stranger danger. I’m only really afraid of a head on with a 4x4 or sxs, never had one of those but I can imagine it would suck. 

• Like 2

That happened to me in an open field at Red River Motorcycle Trails, in Texas.  I saw him a quarter-mile away, and he saw me.  Evidently, we both thought the other would veer off.  By the time it became obvious that we were going to collide we both turned (turned is an exaggeration) right and missed by inches or less.  Closure rate had to pretty good cause it happened really fast.

On my side of the near-death experience, alcohol was involved.  Earlier that afternoon I had finished the first day of 2-day trials with NTTA and was back at camp putting down a couple of cold ones when for some reason I forgot I jumped on my bike with NO GEAR to go do something.  I forgot what that something was cause it shook me up so bad I turned around and went back to camp. 

I told the group I was with what happened and got my ass chewed out good.  My son was there and I used it as a teaching moment.  When you pick the beer up you put the bike down.  

• Like 2

Lots of sxs and quads in northern BC. I just rode a couple of trails mostly standing so my bright yellow helmet might be seen. Didn't help in thick brush on a single track. Quad and scraped by each other. I stay to the right and hope the other guy does the same. A bunch of the trails here are actually dead ends so you can count on 'meeting' others!

A few years ago I was riding with a small group in St Helen here in Michigan and we came around a curve on a snowmobile trail and found 4 quads parked on the apex.  It never crossed their minds that it was a bad idea to just parked on the trail, on a large curve.  I've had some close calls on MI trails too, it's why I never forget that we have two way traffic and don't ride like I'm the only one on the trails.  Not everybody keeps that in mind and don't always stay on their side.

• Like 4

Not a problem if everyone stays on their side of the trail. 

Don't play the blame game, just stay right always and ride like someone, bike or truck, is right around the corner. 

• Like 2

Had a wicked head on at Rainbow Falls where the same type of forest road connects single track. Semi sharp blind curve with thick timber. I see the first bike who is maintaining his lane, so I hug the far right edge, then right at the blindest part of the corner comes his little brother trying to keep up completely to the very same inside of the corner, shaving corners to catch up, I stood up and push up'd off the bars just enough to superman on my belly and face down the gravel road about 40 feet. Thank god I had all my gear on. I run over to the kid and he is wailing but ok, his bike is laying on the throttle WFO on it's side. I look for the kill switch and none. Found a loose wire and grounded it to the handlebars killing the bike. Broke his front fork at the riser, bent bars etc. Brother shows up and I ripped his ass for not coaching this kid and leaving him in the dust. Made sure he was OK, and they began pushing the bike back to the truck several miles away. My front rim had a 1 inch depression out of round, limped it back and stopped at Safeway for a bag of ice for the golf ball on my wrist, the deli lady was freaking out. Several days of ice and a new laced rim I was good but that was a spooky moment, if he had not been lower than me I cannot imagine the impact, we were both going at least 25 mph. One moment of stupid can kill someone.

6 hours ago, BOAB said:

Really?  Looks just like a road from those pictures, even has a crown like most roads and a ditch to the side for water.

Yes, really. ?

Edited by Colorado^

The big problem is people don't ride the appropriate speed for trail conditions. If you're coming up on a blind corner slow the &%$#@! down and get on your side of the trail even if it's a Wednesday and no one is out. Pretty simple! On a wide ass dirt road it's inexcusable to almost be involved on a head-on and be partially at fault. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Colorado^ said:

HO.jpg

HO2.jpg

LOL, that isn’t a trail, that is a road ?

how either of you even came close is beond  my level of incompetent, and I am pretty good at it?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OKDinosaur said:

Guys they’re both riding dual sports (I’m pretty sure), that means you have to hold them to street biker standards not dirt bike standards. Those pics might look like a graded and maintained dirt road with plenty of visibility, but thru the “dual sport” lens that’s basically a MX track and a totally blind turn. 

Honestly tho glad you’re not hurt. Out west every single dirt road is two way, only some single track is directional. I personally avoid as much dirt road as possible and only use it to connect, too much stranger danger. I’m only really afraid of a head on with a 4x4 or sxs, never had one of those but I can imagine it would suck. 

Maybe you need to do some dual sport with us, you will change your mind.

that, in the image is a dirt road. My 900lb  harley touring sees worse. Literally

Edited by SloChicken
  • Haha 2

We have huge problem with sxs thinking the can drift every corner taking up the entire trail here in Michigan. For that reason we stay to single track only but sometimes you have to go on the wide stuff .  The other issue is every sxs has a cooler of beer strapped to the back, they are usually drunk by the end of the day

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

here in NorCal, we have few one-way areas. There are some parks with loop trails that are fairly short, so they can be one-way. But most of our areas the trails go for at least a mile or more.  It's impossible to prevent people from turning around and returning the way they went in.  So all that a one-way sign does is give you a false sense of safety.

• Sad 1

Went to Big Bend nat’l park last year with a group of guys. Unfortunately it was the same weekend as a dual sport adventure group ride. Dozens, if not a hundred relatively incapable guys and gals on huge bikes.

Anyway, came around a corner in the two track road and here come a couple riding side by side. Guy in my side slowly moves over while I’m fully locked up. I yell at him to stay on his side of the damned road. He flips me off.

5 minutes later happens again. Pretty much same response. Now I’m pissed. Somebody is gonna get hurt.

Well the next encounter I can see the guy coming but this time there’s a line of riders and they’re all single file in the left of the road. He sees me, I see him and I motion for him to get over. He doesn’t and neither do I. Well we both stop front wheels touching and I start chewing his ass. “Are y’all from England or something? WTF!”

He says he’s the leader and teaching all the riders behind him how to pick a line.....on a frigging road!!!

I said some things I shouldn’t have and roosted him.

Kinda felt bad afterwards when we found them on the way back. The lead guy had broken his leg and his group was scattered all over a little hill climb. Bikes everywhere and there were several women in the group. Said they’d never ride again.

Anyway we helped em best we could but jeez they were dumb!!

• Sad 1

We had our weekend ended and my girlfriend ended up with a hand and head injury at Taylor park because some guy thought it was race day on a dirt road.

The speed limit in all National Forests is 25mph unless otherwise posted.

You are not alone out there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SloChicken said:

Maybe you need to do some dual sport with us, you will change your mind.

that, in the image is a dirt road. My 900lb  harley touring sees worse. Literally

Lol, I’d be more inclined to believe you if your name wasn’t “slow chicken”! 

It’s all in jest good sir, just trying to stir the pot. I’m 2+ hours of freeway from any decent trails, so really I’m just jealous of guys that get to gear up in their garage and go hit real trails. That said, the oncoming rider looks like he was on a wr250r - not jealous of that jabrony! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1