It ain't Hawaii, TORTURE but it's all I got

I finally got my bike back on her wheels. First a broken rear shock and then a broken throttle slide plate had her laid up for a couple of months. It takes a while for parts to get here. I made up for lost time this past long weekend, 3 solid days of riding through the mountains. We still have lots of snow but the temperature is climbing near zero so there's lots of soft spots. These pics aren't great quality since I ripped them from my helmet cam footage. The dark spot in the upper right corner is the peak of my helmet. They also don't have nearly the color of TORTURE's stuff but draw some palm trees in with your green crayon and you can hardly tell the difference.

We headed down Baffin Bay a bit...

Chartic_1.jpg

and then worked our way inland

Chartic_2.jpg

into the mountains

Descent_2.jpg

Didn't make it to the top the first time

Hillclimb_crash_1.jpg

Hillclimb_crash_2.jpg

But eventually got there

Fiord.jpg

Found a few soft spots along the way

Stuck.jpg

This was a tough one

Base_drift_2.jpg

I had to stomp the snow down a bit

Base_drift_8.jpg

but she finally climbed through it

Base_drift_4.jpg

Had to take a Sno-cone break after that one

Sno_cone.jpg

Headed back to the Bay

Chartic_6.jpg

and found a bit of water along the way

Struck_water.jpg

Cruising on the Bay is pretty boring unless you find a bit of buried treasure. I was cruising along nice and relaxed headed for home when I found a pressure ridge hidden under the snow. The sleds and 4 wheelers floated right over it but I hit it like a concrete curb. The front end bottomed out and then shot up

Bounce_2.jpg

and instantly the rear hit it, slammed the front back onto the ice and my seat slapped me in the a$$ and tried to shoot me up over the bars. The camera blacked out a bit from the impact but I got a couple of good shots.

Bounce_6.jpg

I sailed along up there for a few seconds but didn't go right over and managed to land back down on the seat

Bounce_7.jpg

All in all it was great to get back on the trails again.

Base_drift_5.jpg?:awww:?

Once you get your tires dialed in it's about like a good day in the mud. On packed trails it's no problem to pull top speed. I see you're from sunny California. Riding in deep sand is close to riding up here when the snow is grainy.

Here's a short helmet cam clip I shot in January.

Sno ride

After 6 months of -30, zero feels like summertime. I wear Helly Hansen gear underneath and was wearing a windbreaker but I was overheating pushing the bike so took it and my lid off. The lid with cam was sitting on a rock still recording, that's how I got in the pics. There are a few older trail bikes in town but no one ventures out in the snow. ? The 4 wheeler was the only rig I've seen all winter with wheels, and that was his first ride of the season.

That is amazing pics and footage!! I am stunned! We dont get stuff like that in the UK, and of course when we get an inch of snow, the whole poxy country grinds to a halt.

I love the snow, skiing boarding and snowmobiling in Canada every year. The snow mobiles are awesome, and its amazing where you can go, but the thought of doingit on a WR is mental!

Fair lay to ya fella! Truly increadible ride that. And I was having fun pootling round the back roads up to my local MX circuit and blasting round the place.

I need to ship it out somewhere like where you guys ride.

Just amazing!! ?

Hi buddy, I call it real sport. I'm from Quebec and of course, I know the feeling of pushing a bike through snow. I also know you can feel like summer even if it is still 0 celcius deg ?

Your pics are really cool!

I definitely want a ski like yours to put up front. This way, I could ride almost everywhere in Quebec... :awww:

I did a ride on New Years day here in Colorado up to about 11,500 feet. It was cold, snowing and we had ice screws in the tires. You could go very fast on some of the packed down sections which made it even worse.

How do you keep your WR running right? Do you have the radiators blocked off?

I've heard of guys using duct tape on their rads but to tell you the truth, I have more of an overheating problem. ? I brought the bike up new in the fall of '99 and richened the jetting as the temp dropped but never touched the rads and the bike works fine. I even crunched one rad in the middle of winter and tried to get away with a copper tube bypass but the engine would boil over. Some folks say that riding cold is hard on the engine, but I ride 2 or 3 times a week, year round and have never had a problem. I popped in a new set of rings 2 years ago just because I felt guilty about only spending money on gas. It starts great, runs great and is 10 times better on gas than my sled and twice as much fun.?:awww:?

We have over 30 foot high tides here so the ice near the shore takes a beating. As the tide goes in and out the ice buckles and cracks. Ice near the shore takes the worst beating and it's easy to see

Pack_ice.jpg

but there are always a few surprises. Further out from shore it can crack and one side of the crack will rise up higher than the other and get hidden under a coating of fresh snow. The spot I hit on the weekend was a crack that had shifted and I drove into the edge of the high side. Going the other way I wouldn't even have felt it.

I've heard of guys using duct tape on their rads but to tell you the truth, I have more of an overheating problem. ? I brought the bike up new in the fall of '99 and richened the jetting as the temp dropped but never touched the rads and the bike works fine. I even crunched one rad in the middle of winter and tried to get away with a copper tube bypass but the engine would boil over. Some folks say that riding cold is hard on the engine, but I ride 2 or 3 times a week, year round and have never had a problem. I popped in a new set of rings 2 years ago just because I felt guilty about only spending money on gas. It starts great, runs great and is 10 times better on gas than my sled and twice as much fun. ??:awww:

All Hail the "WR" ??