Ban SxSs from trails, legal on roads only?

Ok, I know, slippery slope. But, I'm just airing this out and want to kick it around.

As most of us are aware, SxSs have changed the nature of off roading...in a very negative way. They have become the vehicle of choice for retards all over the intermountain west. Thousands of miles of single track and narrow quad track have been obliterated. Formerly untrammeled areas have tire tracks everywhere. I honestly can't believe things have gotten to the point they have.

My suggestion is legislation that basically makes any vehicle that has seats next to one another illegal on anything designated a trail. Treat them like cars or trucks. They don't belong in the same areas, on the same trails as bikes and even quads. They belong on roads, there are a lot of cars that are smaller than some of them.

I know this may be viewed as starting down a path we don't want to go on, but, something has to be done. I have no idea if there would be any support for this idea among dirt bikers and others.

Just throwing it out there before I get serious about lobbying for something like this.

Edited by BOAB
  • Like 4

Ok, I know, slippery slope. But, I'm just airing this out and want to kick it around.

As most of us are aware, SxSs have changed the nature of off roading...in a very negative way. They have become the vehicle of choice for retards all over the intermountain west. Thousands of miles of single track and narrow quad track have been obliterated. Formerly untrammeled areas have tire tracks everywhere. I honestly can't believe things have gotten to the point they have.

My suggestion is legislation that basically makes any vehicle that has seats next to one another illegal on anything designated a trail. Treat them like cars or trucks. They don't belong in the same areas, on the same trails as bikes and even quads. They belong on roads, there are a lot of cars that are smaller than some of them.

I know this may be viewed as starting down a path we don't want to go on, but, something has to be done. I have no idea if there would be any support for this idea among dirt bikers and others.

Just throwing it out there before I get serious about lobbying for something like this.

I don’t think that broad of a rule will fly, however since moving to CO 2 months ago, I’ve done a ton of riding (both on my ds bike with other bike riders and on my sxs with my family) and I totally understand your position.

Ive seen a ton of trails that have been destroyed, specifically 50” or less trails, and some single track. Not to mention when these dicks come flying around a blind corner at 40 mph.

I truly believe that one solution is gates. We had them in Michigan (and I’ve seen a few here), they work. I’m talking about the 56” gates (posts) for less than 50” atv trails and the “v” gates as we called them in Michigan, 24” at the ground and 36” at the top for motorcycle only trails. Of course the gate is easy, but fencing off the sides so that idiots can’t just drive around the gates is what makes them work. But with all the cable and barbed wire forest service fencing I’ve seen out here, I don’t think that would be a problem.

My opinion is that the local clubs in CO (and all the states) should approach the state and fed forest managers with this idea. We (the local users) can install them as part of our trail maintenance, just give us the materials, locations and guidelines.

My guess is that we could also get a majority of the 50” and less atv folks to support this cause too, because their trails are also getting ruined.

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 2

I understand the issue, but it's a slippery slope. Motorized users have to stick together.

When I'm riding my dirt bike, I want those butthole horse riders to go somewhere else. When I'm riding my horse, I want those butthole dirt bike riders to go away.

The future is shared usage. I make fun of quad riders as a sub species of pot bellies who can't ride a dirt bike any more, but after riding around on a RZR, I get the appeal, but would never agree to the price.

If we point out the failure of one group to be responsible users, it gives the anti access crowd ammunition.

• Like 3

I live in a totally different area but deal with the same shit. Go after them Boab and hopefully if you win we all can follow suit.

I was almost smoked twice yesterday. I seen a sxs coming so I got stopped. well he wasn't looking and came around the corner and finally looked up and slide probably 30' to my front wheel?

Next was a quad in a blind corner, not his fault really but the trail is as wide as his quad :thinking:

3 hours ago, Leardriver said:

I understand the issue, but it's a slippery slope. Motorized users have to stick together.

When I'm riding my dirt bike, I want those butthole horse riders to go somewhere else. When I'm riding my horse, I want those butthole dirt bike riders to go away.

The future is shared usage. I make fun of quad riders as a sub species of pot bellies who can't ride a dirt bike any more, but after riding around on a RZR, I get the appeal, but would never agree to the price.

If we point out the failure of one group to be responsible users, it gives the anti access crowd ammunition.

We've tried sharing with idiots in clown cars, it hasn't worked.  It is the time to do something, I'm still trying to figure out what.  Putting them in the same category as cars and trucks seems to me to be a start in the right direction.

I'm done sticking together, I'm not that naive anymore.  Solutions folks.  And unfortunately education isn't one of those solutions.

• Like 3

Yea that will work!!!!!! Now can we apply some common sense?

2 minutes ago, partsguy57 said:
12 hours ago, BOAB said:

Read more  

Yea that will work!!!!!! Now can we apply some common sense?

Rather than being insulting how about a suggestion then.  Or go away if you don't have any ideas.  This is a REAL problem.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

1 hour ago, partsguy57 said:

It is a real problem. So come up with real ideas.. banning them to roads only? Really?

Yep. By roads I didn't mean like a highway or your neighborhood. I mean 4wd, FS or county roads, just like trucks, Jeeps and cars. The stupid things nowadays are huge, some of them are bigger than my Cherokee. My Cherokee doesn't belong on the same trails as a quad or dirtbike, and those clown cars don't either.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, woods-rider said:

SxS are allowed on truck/Jeep trails here in Oregon, not allowed on quad trails. This seems like the logical way to go about it.

What they have done here is up the width on many quad trails to accommodate the clown cars.  But, this is only part of the problem.  There are hundreds of miles of quad and st in my area that have been totally obliterated.  All on BLM land.  Stuff we've been riding for decades is now whooped out torn up highways.  I'm at a loss as to where to really even begin addressing the problem.  Like I've said, education isn't the answer.  I've approached a few of these yahoos and their response is basically I'll drive where ever the hell I please, try and stop me.

What they have done here is up the width on many quad trails to accommodate the clown cars.  But, this is only part of the problem.  There are hundreds of miles of quad and st in my area that have been totally obliterated.  All on BLM land.  Stuff we've been riding for decades is now whooped out torn up highways.  I'm at a loss as to where to really even begin addressing the problem.  Like I've said, education isn't the answer.  I've approached a few of these yahoos and their response is basically I'll drive where ever the hell I please, try and stop me.

That sucks.

I have come across a sxs on a quad trail that they should not have been on two separate times at different riding areas. Both times, I stopped and lightly scolded the driver. Both times, the drivers were very apologetic and said that they didn’t know that they weren’t supposed to be in that trail. Maybe they were lying, but I had no way to know. I pulled out a trail map of the area both times and showed them where they were and weren’t allowed to take their sxs. Their comments were both along the lines of “wow, there’s not much place to ride these here”. To which I replied “yeah, you should sell that and buy a real machine that can go virtually anywhere your skill can take it” while tapping my bikes gas tank.
  • Like 5

This is the hard fact about SxS and ATV riding: There are too many riders and not enough trails to accomodate separate trail systems for each type of motorized conveyance. Furthermore, the FS looks at ALL motorized OHVs as being the same. SxS machines are crazy-popular. Just ask any powersports dealer what he sells the most of.

We have an aging population that can no longer ride on 2-wheels in many cases. They go for quads and UTVs. And the FS and BLM are accommodating them by widening trails. Some of those things have a 64-inch track. They are as big as many 4x4s and cost almost as much.

While your proposal is certainly food for thought, the manufacturers and dealers will advocate for what they sell the most of. JMHO, of course.

• Like 2

You keep referring to clown cars I assume you mean clown drivers? I live in so oregon west side with 7 bikes in my shop and one razor. We don't have a problem with side by sides here in general as you simply can't fit them through the trees here on the west side hence we have some of the best single track around. That being said I bought a rzr to take the wife woods driving ( sight seeing type stuff and we enjoy that.) On the sand dunes I can assure you they are no clown car only some clown drivers and they are flat out fun as the wife can enjoy also. Now the desert, we have a vacation house in havasu and our crowd only takes rzrs ( and we have a ton of bikes) as bikes suck in the desert we the single track we ride here at home in Oregon. We don't ever take a single bike down as there is zero intrest in riding as the side by sides are so much more fun driving in the desert then riding a bike. I can assure you if were to get what you wanted the next group will be the bikes and quads as the greenies want everyone gone. Us/ we had better learn to work together to protect it all. You also would be surprised at how many ride bikes and run side by sides also. That's what our crowd is. Bikes at home in general and side by sides for the desert and a mix at the dunes. The clown here appears to be you advocating what you want. It ain't going to happen, if it does you will be gone also.
  • Like 2

I'm afraid if something isnt done about the damages done by them things to public land were going to all be gone anyways. I've been riding long enough to be in the dirt bike only era, then quads and now sxs. Sxs's are by far the worst, half our trails are nearly unrideable without Dunkin our bikes up to the seat in mud, hell it's so bad that it seems like even most sxs are avoiding the areas and hitting new stuff☹️

• Like 1

I'm afraid if something isnt done about the damages done by them things to public land were going to all be gone anyways. I've been riding long enough to be in the dirt bike only era, then quads and now sxs. Sxs's are by far the worst, half our trails are nearly unrideable without Dunkin our bikes up to the seat in mud, hell it's so bad that it seems like even most sxs are avoiding the areas and hitting new stuff[emoji3525]
True stuff. But the fact is they are the hot thing going, the guys spending the most money and without us all working together things will shut down. Calling them clown cars is not helpful. Some of the dirt bikes act like we are the only game in town. Sorry were not. Wishful thinking does not make fact. Side by sides are not leaving and I can assure you they won't be going to roads only....
  • Like 2

You keep referring to clown cars I assume you mean clown drivers? I live in so oregon west side with 7 bikes in my shop and one razor. We don't have a problem with side by sides here in general as you simply can't fit them through the trees here on the west side hence we have some of the best single track around. That being said I bought a rzr to take the wife woods driving ( sight seeing type stuff and we enjoy that.) On the sand dunes I can assure you they are no clown car only some clown drivers and they are flat out fun as the wife can enjoy also. Now the desert, we have a vacation house in havasu and our crowd only takes rzrs ( and we have a ton of bikes) as bikes suck in the desert we the single track we ride here at home in Oregon. We don't ever take a single bike down as there is zero intrest in riding as the side by sides are so much more fun driving in the desert then riding a bike. I can assure you if were to get what you wanted the next group will be the bikes and quads as the greenies want everyone gone. Us/ we had better learn to work together to protect it all. You also would be surprised at how many ride bikes and run side by sides also. That's what our crowd is. Bikes at home in general and side by sides for the desert and a mix at the dunes. The clown here appears to be you advocating what you want. It ain't going to happen, if it does you will be gone also.

Why are u getting so offended? Do u really not understand the issue or do u feel threatened?

I have 4 side by sides, 3 four wheelers, and 4 dirt bikes. Not bragging, just pointing out that I enjoy most off-road motorsports.

BUT the OP is right. Righteous indignation won’t make the issue go away. Something does need to be done or we all lose everything.

• Like 1