2020 450MX Shootout!

13 hours ago, wielywilly-g said:

KTM needs to add 2 lbs and put springs back in their forks.  They would be placing a lot better in these shoot-outs.

I agree and would rather have steel. I dont like fussing with checking pressure as the day goes on and temp changes. Not a big deal really but...

That said ESR in Ca did my suspension on 18 450sxf and the forks are by far the best I have ever ridden. There are times when coming into choppy corner entrance when its as if the bumps are not there. No exaggeration. I have rode bikes with plush forks but these are somthin else in the chop and the whole bike just stays level even in the big stuff. Magic.

I hear that some in Ca that bought cone vales are going back to AER with Earls work.

Edited by lowmass
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lowmass said:

I agree and would rather have steel. I dont like fussing with checking pressure as the day goes on and temp changes. Not a big deal really but...

That said ESR in Ca did my suspension on 18 450sxf and the forks are by far the best I have ever ridden. There are times when coming into choppy corner entrance when its as if the bumps are not there. No exaggeration. I have rode bikes with plush forks but these are somthin else in the chop and the whole bike just stays level even in the big stuff. Magic.

I hear that some in Ca that bought cone vales are going back to AER with Earls work.

i went with FC for my forks/shock spring.  My 18 450 SX-F feels much=much better everywhere on the track.  In stock trim, if was harsh.  That being said, I was way to heavy for the rear spring.  Overall, I'm happy after the re-valve.  

• Like 1

yea I just couldnt get the stock sus to work well at speed. OK at lower speeds but  busy and confused at speed. Especially at choppy turn entrance. Also couldnt get stock to settle in a balanced way into any turn.

The ESR setup uses the pro circuit linkage and a heavyer spring out back. 

2 hours ago, lowmass said:

1 hour ago, Z O SICK said:

i went with FC for my forks/shock spring.  My 18 450 SX-F feels much=much better everywhere on the track.  In stock trim, if was harsh.  That being said, I was way to heavy for the rear spring.  Overall, I'm happy after the re-valve.  

I really want to get my AER forks done but at the same time, I sort of don't feel like spending the $ to get it done right. I can live with it as-is, but it just has days where I don't get along with it. When I read stuff like you guys just posted, it makes me feel like an idiot for not getting it done.

7 minutes ago, ah665 said:

I really want to get my AER forks done but at the same time, I sort of don't feel like spending the $ to get it done right. I can live with it as-is, but it just has days where I don't get along with it. When I read stuff like you guys just posted, it makes me feel like an idiot for not getting it done.

I really didn't want to get it done either but my hands were killing me on some tracks (mostly my fault) but my bike was harsh for me and the tracks I ride.  The tipping point was when I rode my friends 17 350 SX-F.  He had FC do his suspension.  After the second turn, I was totally impressed.  He's the same speed and close to my weight as me.  I literelly felt faster on his bike than I did mine.  It's crazy what a few changes do for the AER forks.  I ended up going wiht their "performance kit" and shock bladder so that added to the price a little.  that being said, I've had a few friends ride my bike and they said it felt really good.  Plus, I figured, if I were to sell my bike, I'd just swap over my suspersion onto the new bike.      

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Z O SICK said:

I really didn't want to get it done either but my hands were killing me on some tracks (mostly my fault) but my bike was harsh for me and the tracks I ride.  The tipping point was when I rode my friends 17 350 SX-F.  He had FC do his suspension.  After the second turn, I was totally impressed.  He's the same speed and close to my weight as me.  I literelly felt faster on his bike than I did mine.  It's crazy what a few changes do for the AER forks.  I ended up going wiht their "performance kit" and shock bladder so that added to the price a little.  that being said, I've had a few friends ride my bike and they said it felt really good.  Plus, I figured, if I were to sell my bike, I'd just swap over my suspersion onto the new bike.      

Sounds awesome. I never really was looking to take it that far. most I wanted to do was try Race Tech Gold Valves kit. I may still at some point but life gets in the way. The fact that you made the investment and would likely swap onto the next bike makes it a no-brainer. Very smart. 

48 minutes ago, ah665 said:

Sounds awesome. I never really was looking to take it that far. most I wanted to do was try Race Tech Gold Valves kit. I may still at some point but life gets in the way. The fact that you made the investment and would likely swap onto the next bike makes it a no-brainer. Very smart. 

The one bad thing is if I end up switching brands, I'm screwed lol.  

7 minutes ago, Z O SICK said:

The one bad thing is if I end up switching brands, I'm screwed lol.  

Exactly lol. That was part of why I am not sure. I just bought another Yamaha. So when it comes time to replace my 350 in a couple years, who knows what I will get. I was hoping when I bought the 350 that I wasn't going to do much to it, same with the Yamaha (aside from a pipe). But I know this AER has more potential in it. 

Your not an idiot, you just know that often it wont end up great and its a lot of money

Ive had many done in past BUT never all that great. The ESR work is serious and I can vouch for them. They do specialize in KTM and they have a cult following is So Cal

My guess is you could leave shock as is an just have forks done and be quite impressed

maybe 500$ not sure. They are old school at ESR and you have to call them. No web site but great guys

https://motocrossactionmag.com/fork-works-6/

Edited by lowmass
  • Helpful 1

18 minutes ago, lowmass said:

Your not an idiot, you just know that often it wont end up great and its a lot of money

Ive had many done in past BUT never all that great. The ESR work is serious and I can vouch for them. They do specialize in KTM and they have a cult following is So Cal

My guess is you could leave shock as is an just have forks done and be quite impressed

maybe 500$ not sure. They are old school at ESR and you have to call them. No web site but great guys

https://motocrossactionmag.com/fork-works-6/

Great read. That actually sounds really good. And I agree, it's mainly the forks. I am pretty happy with the shock. And I don't want to make it seem like I am unhappy with the forks. They are good. But I just know they can be better and stuff like this makes me wish I had them done lol.

2 hours ago, ah665 said:

Swap a revalve into a new bike? Not likely lol..

carts not likely either unless they keep the forks the same lengths

Edited by The Creature

23 hours ago, The Creature said:

Swap a revalve into a new bike? Not likely lol..

carts not likely either unless they keep the forks the same lengths

No I'm saying I would invest in some serious suspension mods to my AER if I was going to buy another Husky. Then just swap the forks. I know a guy that did it with his Cone-Valves. Swapped the Cone-Valves from his 17 to his 19 and sold the 17 with the new stock 19 forks. But I just bought a Yamaha and am keeping the Husky for a couple more years. So I don't know if I want to invest in any heavy modding with the forks, so I may just do a revalve at most (or nothing at all)

Edited by ah665
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ah665 said:

No I'm saying I would invest in some serious suspension mods to my AER if I was going to by another Husky. Then just swap the forks. I know a guy that did it with his Cone-Valves. Swapped the Con valves from his 17 to his 19 and sold the 17 with the new stock 19 forks. But I just bought a Yamaha and am keeping the Husky for a couple more years. So I don't know if I want to invest in any heavy modding with the forks, so I may just do a revalve at most (or nothing at all)

I like how u can keep getting new gold valve settings for free until satisfied..

maybe the tuner gets it right, maybe it could be better.. never know until u try diff settings. Just my opinion..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Creature said:

I like how u can keep getting new gold valve settings for free until satisfied..

maybe the tuner gets it right, maybe it could be better.. never know until u try diff settings. Just my opinion..

I have a really good relationship with a local Race Tech shop. I have had him do the full decked out service in the past on my old GYTR 250F. But I really dont need a full mod bike anymore. But I may get the Gold Valves just since it isn't very expensive and gives me some options, like you were saying.

I really like what @lowmass has done to his and also @Z O SICK but sometimes it just isn't in the cards lol. I'd rather by a 2nd bike ?

• Like 2