RDA71

'19 SMCR/Enduro vapor lock

Anyone else notice any vapor lock or other tank venting problems on their bikes?

I was in the garage earlier today and noticed the tail of the bike (rear fender, plate mount, taillight, etc.) was not straight, it was visibly twisted counterclockwise when looking at the bike from the rear. Finding this to be very odd, I started loosening up all of the attachment points for the fender and plate to the subframe/tank and was going to remove the rear fender. When I went to remove the gas cap to slide the fender off, I noticed the tank was under significant negative pressure (vacuum), so much so that when I was able to pull the cap off and the pressure equalized, the tank went back to more or less it's normal shape, which realigned the rear end of the bike. Weird. My evap system is all stock, as is the cap.

Sorry, but this is the funniest thing I've read all day! LOL! 

3 hours ago, NORTY said:

Sorry, but this is the funniest thing I've read all day! LOL! 

Yeah dude, tell me about it.  Was the funniest thing I've seen in a long time.  I was certain that I was seeing things or crazy.  Or both.  Anyway, the ass of the bike was tweaked, like a bike with a bent subframe.  Since I was fairly certain I'd not crashed on the ride home on Friday, and the plastic tank/subframe shouldn't have bent even if I had, I was good and confused.  Anyway, since the shape of the tank is not symmetrical, it distorts if under vacuum (or, I assume, under positive pressure as well).  The bike has about 1k miles on it, so I've filled the tank a number of times already, and this is the first time I've seen any significant positive or negative pressure in the tank when opening the cap.  I'm not sure if there is a check valve somewhere that has stuck, but the tank is not venting properly.  I don't see any kinks in the vent hose.