vxmoto23

200RR for Hard Enduros

I have pretty much decided on buying a new 200RR for many reasons but I really want to try my luck at a hard enduro and I feel that the 200RR would be a great choice. It's light, pulls like a 250, good low-end torque, etc. I'm an older, intermediate rider in good shape but rather vertically challenged. I would appreciate any input on how you think the 200RR would fit the bill. I would be using it for hare scrambles and fun riding as well, but it just seems like a logical choice for hard enduros as well. Any thoughts?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, vxmoto23 said:

I have pretty much decided on buying a new 200RR for many reasons but I really want to try my luck at a hard enduro and I feel that the 200RR would be a great choice. It's light, pulls like a 250, good low-end torque, etc. I'm an older, intermediate rider in good shape but rather vertically challenged. I would appreciate any input on how you think the 200RR would fit the bill. I would be using it for hare scrambles and fun riding as well, but it just seems like a logical choice for hard enduros as well. Any thoughts?

I totally agree that it would be excellent. I rode some tight tech local trails. Im about 235 lbs now and ride a 300 rr I switched back and forth with a guy 270 who was riding a 200 rr. It was stock except for one tooth smaller countershaft sprocket.  Wow  I was thinking the 200 would be great for hard enduro.. It has incredible power for a 200 and riding back to back with my 300 rr was great and interesting. I still loved my 300 rr and the 200 was awesome!! The light weight and estart is 👍 great . The 200 carried both of us so easily. . I’d put the kicker on too and guard the 200 up and it’s done.. Maybe put a low ds style seat concepts seat to drop the seat height lower to just Xtrainer height ..

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 2

Well it doesn't pull like a 250, but it pulls good enough, it it isnt as tall and heavy either. The suspension is great for slower to moderate paced riding. When I say moderate I mean old man B level on a good day. No idea how it does at A or Pro speed. It really soaks things up and is very plush. Raise the forks to the first line. A steering stabilizer would be a good idea as well. Put on a low seat and it will be hard to beat. Weight is a huge deal. I would lose the lights and OI. That is several pounds. With the powervalve flush and stock can the map switch makes a huge gifference and the traction is fantastic in rain mode. You will have to choose lines and ruts more carefully with the reduced ground clearance and I have been through a set of rear brake pads already. Lol. I would definitely armour it up and plan on doing the TKO next year and will likely add rotor guards and a full coverage pipe/skid plate but I don't need that stuff for around here. Then pull it off for regular racing. As I tell every one, if you want to make a drive you are more than welcome to come ride my 200 and 250 and compare for yourself. I know I sold a lot or 250s after a test ride and I am sure I would sells 200s as well now especially to the older realistic honest ability crowd.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 2

I'm waiting on my 2020 200rr which I plan to ride in the AMA hard enduro series (which includes TKO but I dont know if I'm going to bother with that race in the series).

I have no idea if it's the right choice but my hopes are high for it.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, BassMan said:

Well it doesn't pull like a 250, but it pulls good enough, it it isnt as tall and heavy either. The suspension is great for slower to moderate paced riding. When I say moderate I mean old man B level on a good day. No idea how it does at A or Pro speed. It really soaks things up and is very plush. Raise the forks to the first line. A steering stabilizer would be a good idea as well. Put on a low seat and it will be hard to beat. Weight is a huge deal. I would lose the lights and OI. That is several pounds. With the powervalve flush and stock can the map switch makes a huge gifference and the traction is fantastic in rain mode. You will have to choose lines and ruts more carefully with the reduced ground clearance and I have been through a set of rear brake pads already. Lol. I would definitely armour it up and plan on doing the TKO next year and will likely add rotor guards and a full coverage pipe/skid plate but I don't need that stuff for around here. Then pull it off for regular racing. As I tell every one, if you want to make a drive you are more than welcome to come ride my 200 and 250 and compare for yourself. I know I sold a lot or 250s after a test ride and I am sure I would sells 200s as well now especially to the older realistic honest ability crowd.

If you plan on racing TKO dont forget to compete in the online race. All 500 slots are sold out in minutes.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

I totally agree that it would be excellent. I rode some tight tech local trails. Im about 235 lbs now and ride a 300 rr I switched back and forth with a guy 270 who was riding a 200 rr. It was stock except for one tooth smaller countershaft sprocket.  Wow  I was thinking the 200 would be great for hard enduro.. It has incredible power for a 200 and riding back to back with my 300 rr was great and interesting. I still loved my 300 rr and the 200 was awesome!! The light weight and estart is 👍 great . The 200 carried both of us so easily. . I’d put the kicker on too and guard the 200 up and it’s done.. Maybe put a low ds style seat concepts seat to drop the seat height lower to just Xtrainer height ..

Thanks for the awesome input! I was thinking about doing pretty much everything you suggested...sprocket, guards, seat, etc. I haven't ridden one yet but I've always ridden 125cc bikes although I did have a CR250 for a while. The light weight combined with being fairly good in the low end would be a great combo! I'm about 185lbs with gear and water bladder so I think the stock suspension from the factory should be just about right. Besides the lower seat, any thoughts on the BYOB lowered suspension option or do you think that would decrease the ground clearance too much? I'm really short...my inseam is a measly 29". 

Thanks again!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BassMan said:

Wow, you guys are really great! Lots of great input in your post. Yeah, I probably misspoke about it pulling like a 250 but I have heard that it's closer to a 250 than a lot of bikes in this category and quite frankly, I always rode 125's and never got real comfortable on the MX style 250's. So for me, the 200 seems like a great compromise, especially considering the weight and lugability (for a smaller 2T anyway). And I'm pretty much in the same "old man B level on a good day" boat so you're speaking to me for sure. I mentioned this to hawaiidirtrider earlier about not only getting the lower seat but the lower suspension option as well. I'm really short. My concern is that it might lower the ground clearance which is a bad thing for extreme courses. Thoughts on that? 

But thanks again for the informative post!!

12 hours ago, DirtJunkie69 said:

I'm waiting on my 2020 200rr which I plan to ride in the AMA hard enduro series (which includes TKO but I dont know if I'm going to bother with that race in the series).

I have no idea if it's the right choice but my hopes are high for it.

Thanks for the reply! I'll be anxious to hear about your results and thoughts on the 200rr in these events! My schedule is crazy so I'm not going to be able to do a lot of races but I plan on doing enough that I want to get the best bike for my size and skill set. So far, this bike seems like the one! I was thinking about the xtrainer originally, but the 200rr seems like a more logical choice. Thanks again!

• Like 1

My philosophy is it is better to scrape guards and linkage than fall. While you never want to put your foot down, being able to can save a race or ride. This is nothing like a 125. The bottom is ridiculas for a 190 CC bike.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, vxmoto23 said:

Thanks for the reply! I'll be anxious to hear about your results and thoughts on the 200rr in these events! My schedule is crazy so I'm not going to be able to do a lot of races but I plan on doing enough that I want to get the best bike for my size and skill set. So far, this bike seems like the one! I was thinking about the xtrainer originally, but the 200rr seems like a more logical choice. Thanks again!

I will definitely do some testing with it in a variety of hard enduro scenarios and large obstacles and document it all on youtube. I'll try to remember to reply to this thread when I get it and do my filming and editing, or look out for it on my channel (DirtJunkie). Would be great if the bike comes next week so I can test it that weekend since the back yard stuff, while fun, just isnt really what I feel would be a challenge for the 200rr.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BassMan said:

My philosophy is it is better to scrape guards and linkage than fall. While you never want to put your foot down, being able to can save a race or ride. This is nothing like a 125. The bottom is ridiculas for a 190 CC bike.

I totally agree! That's kind of my thoughts on seat height...being so short, I have always felt like I was sitting too high up on most dirt bikes. I had a 1987 CR125 (which I wish I still had btw lol) that sat really low but still had decent suspension travel and ground clearance. It was super comfortable for me. I then restored a 2001 YZ125 and it was friggin' fast but it was REALLY tall and I could never get comfortable on it and my riding suffered. So I'm definitely thinking the lower the better for me!

I have heard about the low end power of this bike and seen youtube videos about the power of the 200rr and yeah, it hauls butt! I'm still totally amazed at how much better these 2T bikes perform in the lower rpm range than the older ones. 

1 hour ago, vxmoto23 said:

Thanks for the awesome input! I was thinking about doing pretty much everything you suggested...sprocket, guards, seat, etc. I haven't ridden one yet but I've always ridden 125cc bikes although I did have a CR250 for a while. The light weight combined with being fairly good in the low end would be a great combo! I'm about 185lbs with gear and water bladder so I think the stock suspension from the factory should be just about right. Besides the lower seat, any thoughts on the BYOB lowered suspension option or do you think that would decrease the ground clearance too much? I'm really short...my inseam is a measly 29". 

Thanks again!

Well it depends on you as far as what you think is acceptable for your height. Is 35 inch ish seat height good enough? The lower seat is a simple one to add to lower to around Xtrainer height... but you can lower more later too with a lowering kit if that’s not as low as you like.. When I rode the 19’ 200 rr a month or so ago I was impressed and thought that bike could be good for me in hard enduro and Im a lot heavier than you.. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DirtJunkie69 said:

I will definitely do some testing with it in a variety of hard enduro scenarios and large obstacles and document it all on youtube. I'll try to remember to reply to this thread when I get it and do my filming and editing, or look out for it on my channel (DirtJunkie). Would be great if the bike comes next week so I can test it that weekend since the back yard stuff, while fun, just isnt really what I feel would be a challenge for the 200rr.

That'd be awesome if you could send some feedback this way! I will check out your channel for sure as I'm always watching dirt bike videos, much to my wife's chagrin!

You're in the heart of HS down there in SC (my brother lives in Columbia) so I'm sure you're chomping at the bit. Quick question...did you have to reserve the bike in advance? I've never dealt with Beta before so not sure how that works. I've heard that these bikes are so popular that they're predicted to sell out or is that just marketing hype in your opinion? 

Thanks!

20 minutes ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Well it depends on you as far as what you think is acceptable for your height. Is 35 inch ish seat height good enough? The lower seat is a simple one to add to lower to around Xtrainer height... but you can lower more later too with a lowering kit if that’s not as low as you like.. When I rode the 19’ 200 rr a month or so ago I was impressed and thought that bike could be good for me in hard enduro and Im a lot heavier than you.. 

Yeah, that's probably about right although I was thinking about getting a lower seat even for the xtrainer. Like I say, I may be a little lighter but have really short legs. And it's not even so much a matter of being able to put my feet down as much as the feeling of sitting up so high actually. But you make a good point...start with the bike as is, add a lower seat and see how that feels (including sag). And then add the lowered suspension after the fact if I feel it's still needed. 

I like your comment that you think it could be good for you in hard enduros so that is reassuring. It's so frustrating not having ridden one yet so I'm probably overreacting but I appreciate the insight. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, vxmoto23 said:

That'd be awesome if you could send some feedback this way! I will check out your channel for sure as I'm always watching dirt bike videos, much to my wife's chagrin!

You're in the heart of HS down there in SC (my brother lives in Columbia) so I'm sure you're chomping at the bit. Quick question...did you have to reserve the bike in advance? I've never dealt with Beta before so not sure how that works. I've heard that these bikes are so popular that they're predicted to sell out or is that just marketing hype in your opinion? 

Thanks!

I honestly dont know what the supply vs demand is like, this is only my 2nd Beta and like I did for my 2018 300rr I put in the order weeks before release. I would think you could order a 2020 at least until 2021 models are announced but I dont know. If you're willing to drive I bet you could find a dealer with display bikes for sale, mine just sold a 2019 200rr.

I moved to NC actually, but I'm not far from Columbia. A big motivation for the move was to get closer to hard trails. Just got settled into my place here early this year. I was down in Charleston where i was extremely limited in terrain variety and had no hills without driving 2 hours to adventure world where the hills were still few and far between and is SxS territory. 

Where are you located? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, vxmoto23 said:

Yeah, that's probably about right although I was thinking about getting a lower seat even for the xtrainer. Like I say, I may be a little lighter but have really short legs. And it's not even so much a matter of being able to put my feet down as much as the feeling of sitting up so high actually. But you make a good point...start with the bike as is, add a lower seat and see how that feels (including sag). And then add the lowered suspension after the fact if I feel it's still needed. 

I like your comment that you think it could be good for you in hard enduros so that is reassuring. It's so frustrating not having ridden one yet so I'm probably overreacting but I appreciate the insight. 

I got a 1 inch lower seat for my 2018 but if you look at the 2020 models it doesn't look like theres much reduction that can be gained on the new seats. I am very tempted to try a 1 inch lowering kit but I am so afraid to ruin the feel of the bike. 

For reference I'm 5'10" with a 30" inseam. I can tippy-toe both sides of a beta. I managed to get very comfortable with the stock seat height in hard enduro stuff with 105mm sag and a practically flat rear tire. In normal trails and HS stuff the seat height doesn't concern me.

Edit: Regarding concerns for the 200.. it's so hard to make an assessment from videos. My concern is 2nd gear hill climbs that start nasty and either get nastier or involve a turn along the way that burns off momentum, and having to downshift would kill the climb. So I am concerned about 2nd being tall enough to hit the hill with reasonable speed, yet still have enough pull to reasonably climb after momentum is lost. I already ordered a 14t countershaft (comes with a 15t) but will try it with both. I weigh 155lbs without gear so I definitely have that going for me.

Edited by DirtJunkie69
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, DirtJunkie69 said:

I honestly dont know what the supply vs demand is like, this is only my 2nd Beta and like I did for my 2018 300rr I put in the order weeks before release. I would think you could order a 2020 at least until 2021 models are announced but I dont know. If you're willing to drive I bet you could find a dealer with display bikes for sale, mine just sold a 2019 200rr.

I moved to NC actually, but I'm not far from Columbia. A big motivation for the move was to get closer to hard trails. Just got settled into my place here early this year. I was down in Charleston where i was extremely limited in terrain variety and had no hills without driving 2 hours to adventure world where the hills were still few and far between and is SxS territory. 

Where are you located? 

Fair enough! I'm just going by hearsay and stuff online talking about the first run of these new bikes being sold out early. I think part of it is the counterbalanced motors on the bigger bikes as well as a lot of redesign for '20. But I think the 200 is going to sell like hotcakes since it's in a popular niche...especially for people like myself that want something bigger (more low end) than a 125 but don't need a 250 or 300. I'm in the middle of some life stuff as well so I probably won't be buying one in the next few months anyway.

I'm in the bay area of California at the moment and there are actually some pretty decent OHV places to ride close by. The main problem is that you can't ride these bikes here from April to September since they're "red stickered" which really sucks. We used to live in Florida and are thinking about moving back there but that's not much better lol. Upstate has some decent OHV parks (Croom for example) but I really hate sand and no elevation changes. I told my wife that if we do move back to FL I'll be taking some road trips up to GA/SC/NC for HS races and hopefully some hard enduros. 

1 hour ago, vxmoto23 said:

I lost my GoPro camera.. wish I had  it so I could video and you could see how good it luggs and the power. For hard enduro and tight technical I think it would be great..  To me it has more power than other 200’s.

• Like 1

I got a 1 inch lower seat for my 2018 but if you look at the 2020 models it doesn't look like theres much reduction that can be gained on the new seats. I am very tempted to try a 1 inch lowering kit but I am so afraid to ruin the feel of the bike. 
For reference I'm 5'10" with a 30" inseam. I can tippy-toe both sides of a beta. I managed to get very comfortable with the stock seat height in hard enduro stuff with 105mm sag and a practically flat rear tire. In normal trails and HS stuff the seat height doesn't concern me.
Edit: Regarding concerns for the 200.. it's so hard to make an assessment from videos. My concern is 2nd gear hill climbs that start nasty and either get nastier or involve a turn along the way that burns off momentum, and having to downshift would kill the climb. So I am concerned about 2nd being tall enough to hit the hill with reasonable speed, yet still have enough pull to reasonably climb after momentum is lost. I already ordered a 14t countershaft (comes with a 15t) but will try it with both. I weigh 155lbs without gear so I definitely have that going for me.
The stock gearing is perfect, I weigh the same as you and there are no issues with 2nd gear and hills. 1st gear is too low for almost any hill. I do many in 3rd gear if there is a roll up and if needed drop to 2nd. I could see adding 1 tooth to the rear sprocket if running a spark arrestor to pick up what you lose from the open pipe.
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, BassMan said:
10 hours ago, DirtJunkie69 said:

Read more  

The stock gearing is perfect, I weigh the same as you and there are no issues with 2nd gear and hills. 1st gear is too low for almost any hill. I do many in 3rd gear if there is a roll up and if needed drop to 2nd. I could see adding 1 tooth to the rear sprocket if running a spark arrestor to pick up what you lose from the open pipe.

I have seen your hill testing video and was impressed how well it seemed to lug in 2nd, and glad to hear that was with stock gearing. Yeah I never want to have to use 1st for hills. I have a feeling the 14t countershaft might actually be too much change, and instead adding 1 or 2 teeth to the rear like you suggested, but if it lugs that well in 2nd that might not even be needed. I don't run a spark arrestor. All environments I ride are very humid.