Poldies

6D helmets any good?

I'm thinking it was sarcasm.
If so. Yes. The Kali was originally designed to be a MTB helmet. But, was so close to passing the safety standards for dirt bikes, they put some more development into it and it easily passed the required safety standards. The inner technology they use was invented by an Aussie in WA.
I feel quite safe wearing the helmet. More so than any other. I've given it one decent test so far, and it took it fine. I think their theory of less weight, less forces/inertia is right on the money.

I keep getting a “502 bad gateway” code when I look up the Kali company.
Are they still in business?
Www.kaliprotectives.com

53 minutes ago, TC686B said:

I keep getting a “502 bad gateway” code when I look up the Kali company.
Are they still in business?
Www.kaliprotectives.com

I just tried. Same thing. No Idea if they're still in business tbh.

6 hours ago, BOAB said:

They still are in most of dirt biking, though.  Car racing and dirt bike racing involve very different types of impacts.  I'll go with someone with a proven track record.

I would respectfully disagree disagree with that but I wouldn't try to convince anyone from giving up their Bell helmets. Still good helmets but imho not the gold standard anymore. No company remains the gold standard forever, not Microsoft, not Oracle, not Blockbuster, not General Electric, and not Bell. Enjoy your Bell and ride safe :)

• Like 1

On 9/12/2019 at 6:02 PM, Hans Schmid said:

Plenty of helmets out there that are both lighter and smaller... 

Show me please as long as they have the same safety standards. And can be rebuilt after a huge impact. I think 6d offers a discount if a helmet is damaged beyond repair. Their Great Gazoo look of the ATR1 is what turned me off of them initially. The ATR2 is noticably smaller. It is ages ahead of my old Shoei helemts.

• Like 1

Just now, SMarquez said:

Show me please as long as they have the same safety standards. And can be rebuilt after a huge impact. I think 6d offers a discount if a helmet is damaged beyond repair. Their Great Gazoo look of the ATR1 is what turned me off of them initially. The ATR2 is noticably smaller. It is ages ahead of my old Shoei helemts.

Top DH helmets all offer the same technology as MX helmets. My 100% DH has a carbon shell and MIPS... 

I literally spent about 2 weeks going through various tests and articles about the difference between the 2 as I didn't want to put myself in any less of a safe situation. Now, after 6 months or so with my DH helmet, I could never go back. It flows better, fits better, lighter... The only single downside I've found is the visor sits higher and seems to snag on high branches more...but my visibility is also expanded so I consider it zero sum game. 

Top DH helmets all offer the same technology as MX helmets. My 100% DH has a carbon shell and MIPS... 
I literally spent about 2 weeks going through various tests and articles about the difference between the 2 as I didn't want to put myself in any less of a safe situation. Now, after 6 months or so with my DH helmet, I could never go back. It flows better, fits better, lighter... The only single downside I've found is the visor sits higher and seems to snag on high branches more...but my visibility is also expanded so I consider it zero sum game. 

What DH helmet do you currently use while riding your dirt bike?
What type of riding do you do; track, trail, desert?

2 minutes ago, TC686B said:

What DH helmet do you currently use while riding your dirt bike?
What type of riding do you do; track, trail, desert?

AA level offroad

B level track

80002-015_zoom_d14ad307-3b01-4212-8396-1e6f66e8bb13_1500x1500.jpg

Screenshot_20190914-192257_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hans Schmid said:

AA level offroad

B level track

80002-015_zoom_d14ad307-3b01-4212-8396-1e6f66e8bb13_1500x1500.jpg

Screenshot_20190914-192257_Chrome.jpg

That looks interesting. Do the sizes run true?

45 minutes ago, TC686B said:

Downhill Mountain Bike Helmet vs MX Helmet
7 year old article but a good read for the OP.
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/DH-Helmets-vs-Motocross-Helmets-Which-Is-Safer.html

This article reiterates what I posted before, that because Snell standards have become more stringent for higher g impacts that the helmets have gotten so stiff that they don't protect against the lower g impacts that cause concussions...and that 6D's innovation was multiple stiffness liners and suspension so that the lower g impacts are addressed as well as the high g impacts.  It was, and still is, IMHO, a game changer. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

I would look at any helmet with MIPS or other forms of low-impact dispersion systems - one that fits well. I have a tricky head and had found Shoei was the only brand that would fit. I recently discovered that Leatt helmets fit equally well and are more affordable on clearance. Extremely light and very well vented, they have a type of suspension system in the liner.

https://dirtwheelsmag.com/leatt-gpx-5-5-helmet-review/amp/

3 hours ago, Grinson said:

I would look at any helmet with MIPS or other forms of low-impact dispersion systems - one that fits well. I have a tricky head and had found Shoei was the only brand that would fit. I recently discovered that Leatt helmets fit equally well and are more affordable on clearance. Extremely light and very well vented, they have a type of suspension system in the liner.

https://dirtwheelsmag.com/leatt-gpx-5-5-helmet-review/amp/

I found that for me, I was between sizes with Shoei. They would feel good new but would soon break down and feel loose. I would get the helmet slipping and sliding my goggles down. The 6d stays put after about a year with it. Head shape plays as much a part of a helmets fit as size. I just don't have a Shoei head.

I have one of those long oval heads, I think.   Coming back to riding, I needed basically everything new.  Bought a Fly Formula helmet with their version of the multi suspension material system in it.  Decided the last place I was going to skimp was protection.  Bought a WHOLE BUNCH of stuff! 

I have been using a 6D since this time last year. Last weekend I had a bad get off and used the helmet up. I hit hard on the top and right side of the helmet, the left chin bar cracked, googles pushed into my eye and cut me pretty good. I never went out, I was certainly stunned but I did not go out. I was able to finish the last three sections of the day, certainly felt it but was able to ride. I have used all my concussions up and really do not want anymore! I believe that the 6D prevented a head injury. 

They are the only brand I know of that offers a rebuild if the shell is in good shape, this also steered me to this helmet. Their customer service is awesome, I sent an email to them and within a few hours replied asking for pictures of the helmet. Once determined that the helmet was trashed they offered a crash replacement discount. This happened with four emails and one phone call (to order the replacement), I didn't have to send them the helmet, they knew it was done and then just became concerned with getting me a new helmet.

I have no experience with any other helmet manufactures and can only tell you about my dealings with 6D and they far exceeded my expectations.

20190926_165438.jpg

20190926_164514.jpg

20190926_165433.jpg

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

13 minutes ago, Wimpy525 said:

I have been using a 6D since this time last year. Last weekend I had a bad get off and used the helmet up. I hit hard on the top and right side of the helmet, the left chin bar cracked, googles pushed into my eye and cut me pretty good. I never went out, I was certainly stunned but I did not go out. I was able to finish the last three sections of the day, certainly felt it but was able to ride. I have used all my concussions up and really do not want anymore! I believe that the 6D prevented a head injury. 

They are the only brand I know of that offers a rebuild if the shell is in good shape, this also steered me to this helmet. Their customer service is awesome, I sent an email to them and within a few hours replied asking for pictures of the helmet. Once determined that the helmet was trashed they offered a crash replacement discount. This happened with four emails and one phone call (to order the replacement), I didn't have to send them the helmet, they knew it was done and then just became concerned with getting me a new helmet.

I have no experience with any other helmet manufactures and can only tell you about my dealings with 6D and they far exceeded my expectations.

20190926_165438.jpg

20190926_164514.jpg

20190926_165433.jpg

Man, that looks nasty, glad you were ok. 

Good to know now that don’t just say they will stand behind their product, but actually do.  

What was the final cost of the replacement helmet?  

Edited by Poldies

On 9/29/2019 at 7:08 AM, Poldies said:

Man, that looks nasty, glad you were ok. 

Good to know now that don’t just say they will stand behind their product, but actually do.  

What was the final cost of the replacement helmet?  

Thanks, it was a hard hit. The black and blue kept showing up all week, sore all week.

They gave me 20% so about $550.00, which was good enough for me not to consider another brand, especially after the way it performed in my crash.

• Like 1