RideWithWill

anyone uses saddle bags while single track riding? share pics!

thinking about adding some small saddle bags esp now that the weather is going to start getting cold, I would like to keep a jacket and/or rain gear for CO bipolar weather. issue I have is, it hits the exhaust. I ended up buying 2 different bags and going to try to mount them some way..maybe a custom mount, like drill through the panel and tie them on or bolt them on.

for my DRZ400 though, definitely want something nice but not too bulky since I am planning on staying in a few hotels, so need to take some clothes and stuff. Just experimenting on the TE250i but the DRZ400 and Husky 701 (when I get it) Might go for the enduro bags

https://www.amazon.com/Nelson-Rigg-RG-020-Black-Motorcycle-Saddlebag/dp/B018AXNM12/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=enduro+saddle+bags&qid=1568133529&s=gateway&sr=8-3

image.png.dd185678293809b49417360d8637da91.png

image.png.b71332d45d31be5049d00819fdf3dad9.png

For true off-road riding, I can't stand saddle bags or a rear fender bag. They are constantly in the way of me getting my weight where I want it. The saddle bags prevent me from leaning back while standing. The rear fender bag hits me in the a$$ over bumps and jumps. A front fender bag might be OK, but it would probably block your headlight. I would love to get some of the weight of tools, jacket, lunch, saw, pump, etc. off my back, but have not found a good solution that works for me in the past 20+ years of riding.

If you find something that works for you, be sure to post it up here!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, woods-rider said:

For true off-road riding, I can't stand saddle bags or a rear fender bag. They are constantly in the way of me getting my weight where I want it. The saddle bags prevent me from leaning back while standing. The rear fender bag hits me in the a$$ over bumps and jumps. A front fender bag might be OK, but it would probably block your headlight. I would love to get some of the weight of tools, jacket, lunch, saw, pump, etc. off my back, but have not found a good solution that works for me in the past 20+ years of riding.

If you find something that works for you, be sure to post it up here!

yeah! that what was my probelm with some smaller bags I ordered. tried "testing" them on the te250i and it got in the way when I leaned back and stuff and rear would hit me also hahah so I know rear fender bag is out of the question

I have these on my desert bike. They work well and hold quite a bit (as far as tools, and misc). They don’t get in the way at all and are very well constructed

https://wolfmanluggage.com/

first pic shows how much they stick out, or rather, don’t stick out.

506A4CC5-9B75-4FB2-BD9E-2AC4F5E49047.jpeg

Second pic shows how dusty one is after a 60mph get off (stuff) into a silt bed.😂

Don’t do that😉

748F8278-A0F2-42A0-9560-E0E822473140.jpeg

Edited by SloChicken

3 minutes ago, SloChicken said:

I have these on my desert bike. They work well and hold quite a bit (as far as tools, and misc). They don’t get in the way at all and are very well constructed

Second pic shows hot dusty one is after a 60mph get off (stuff) into a silt bed.😂

Don’t do that😉

do you put the strap under neath the seat and/or zip tie the corners to something? seems pretty nice from here

11 minutes ago, SloChicken said:

Second pic shows hot dusty one is after a 60mph get off (stuff) into a silt bed.😂

Don’t do that😉

Are those the day tripper?

8 minutes ago, RideWithWill said:

do you put the strap under neath the seat and/or zip tie the corners to something? seems pretty nice from here

Yeah, the top straps go under the seat and the forward lower straps go to a frame downtube behind the engine (behind my upper boot)

doesn’t impede whatsoever, other than the 10lb of tools, munchies, and whatever else I choose to lug haha!

1 minute ago, C2.0 said:

Are those the day tripper?

I think so. i have forgotten, but they are the smallest ones I could find.

Edited by SloChicken

4 minutes ago, SloChicken said:

Yeah, the top straps go under the seat and the forward lower straps go to a frame downtube behind the engine (behind my upper boot)

doesn’t impede whatsoever, other than the 10lb of tools, munchies, and whatever else I choose to lug haha!

I think so. i have forgotten, but they are the smallest ones I could find.

thanks man i might need to look at those!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RideWithWill said:

thanks man i might need to look at those!

Werd.

i kind of choked at the price when I went to their site,

damn they are proud of those things, must have been out of my head to pay $200 for a bag lol.

but honestly, they work great, and are as durable as one could hope for.

Years ago I used to use a set of Army surplus canvas saddle bags on my XR500R.  See if you can find something like that, they were indestructible and worked well.  But mine were Korean war vintage, so...:lol:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SloChicken said:

Those are really nice, but wow, are they expensive!

• Haha 1

I have the Wolfman enduro day tripper and Wolfman medium rolie. The medium rolie is a pain to kick your leg over and your butt hits it when going downhill with your butt over the rear tire. You can also feel the weight a lot more.

The day trippers get in the way of the kick starter but you can use them like steg pegs a bit. I like the day trippers a lot more than the rolie.

IMG_20170613_145719.jpg.3205c26d491941e9fb5b1696fdca4790.jpg6tag_220416-140611.thumb.jpg.2b8b296b138e3de3a0279c61efe39b88.jpg

Edited by crepit
  • Like 2

I have the giant loop mojave bags for baja touring including singletrack. They work well, and once you get used to them you hardly notice them. Kinda pricey but are durable. If they rip they can be repaired by anybody that makes or fixes whitewater rafting gear as they are made of that heavy duty plastic fabric. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, crepit said:

I have the Wolfman enduro day tripper and Wolfman medium rolie. The medium rolie is a pain to kick your leg over and your butt hits it when going downhill with your butt over the rear tire. 

The day trippers get in the way of the kick starter but you can use them like steg pegs a bit. I like the day trippers a lot more than the rolie.

IMG_20170613_145719.jpg.3205c26d491941e9fb5b1696fdca4790.jpg6tag_220416-140611.thumb.jpg.2b8b296b138e3de3a0279c61efe39b88.jpg

Can’t you instal a little farther back ? That’s the E12 . 

12787CC0-D6BD-4140-A28C-115BA7A6B25D.jpeg

7B21FEF5-214D-4AF6-A85E-DA80B96D2E5A.jpeg

Edited by habs
Add
  • Like 1

Do a search for the Giant Loop MoJavi saddlebag. I use them on Baja trips on my YZ. They stay back far enough that you don't ever notice them except when leaning way back while standing. There is a heat shield for the exhaust as well, although I don't need on the YZ because the side plate gives me all the protection needed.

• Like 1

Just back from 4 days riding in Colorado.  Wolfman Daytripper worked great.  Small set of tools, a Gatorade and light rain jacket on one side,  30 oz extra fuel cell on the other.  I mounted them with the front strap under the seat and the bags evenly placed over the rear side panels.   Absolutely no interference with my body position on the bike.  They aren't in the way on steep descents.  I ride standing majority of the time.  First photo is top of Devils Punch Bowl (went down to the town of Marble and back - double track), second is top of Mt Tilton.  3rd and 4th picture taken after descending the steep single track on the NE side of Mt Tilton.  80 mile days, they never moved.  Weight was not very noticeable, but I admit the bike is already a little heavy so whats an extra 10 lbs? 

WR 450F Wolfman Day Tripper.png

WR 450F Wolfman Day Tripper 2.png

WR 450F Wolfman Day Tripper 3.png

WR 450F Wolfman Day Tripper 4.png

• Like 2